Tanner Park

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Alex-Gren
Schwinn

Tanner Park

Postby Alex-Gren » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:38 pm

The other day I was talking to Skier Jay about all the dirt jumps around Utah and he brought up something very interesting about Tanner Park. I'm not so sure if many of you have been there but if you have I'm sure you know that it is a worldwide famous park for dirt jumps that many pros from all over the states have ridden and worked on/built.
While talking to him, he told me that the city is thinking about tearing them down and changing it into a bird refugee. Although the city has offered to relocate the trails, the thing they do not realize is that those trails have been worked on, built, and perfected over time, for about 15 years is what Skier told me. I've ridden the trails before and they are absolutely amazing and acutally quite beautiful.
There is a meeting on Thursday, April 15th down at the trails to see what they are going to do with the trails. Anyone is allowed to attend, and I know I'll be there! I'm not sure exactly where the meeting will be at but I'm pretty sure it will be down in the area where the trails are located at in Tanner Park. Feel free to join in to help save the trails!

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Tanner Park

Postby bnd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 pm

From 98' to 01' I was heavily involved with building & riding at Tanner before it went really big. D & I put in many hours there & started building when there was two sets of dubs, so back in 00' or 01' when the doggy people got into it with the bird people, who then started bitching about the trails & wanted to see them get tore down a bunch of the locals at the time including us went to this meeting they had up in the neighborhood.
They were very surprised at the turnout the BMXers had, around 15 & I even printed up a page of info for them saying what kind of work & upkeep we did in "our" area. They left the BMXers alone after that.
I did read somewhere recently that they were thinking about relocating the dirt jumps to another section of the park. Honestly if they agreed to move it right next to the stream that wouldn't suck but it would take literally a decade to recreate what is there already.
If your serious about saving Tanner trails you'd better start handing out flyers at the skateparks, bike shops & hitting the internet hard.

Good luck.
b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Tanner Park

Postby bnd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Same story, different decade.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10388769

I would be surprised if they actually paid any attention to the dirt jumps right now but I could be wrong. After reading this latest story it's excatly the same thing as what happened 10 years ago between the tree huggers & the dog lovers. These two groups really get into each other & it's not pretty. I saw it first hand when I went to the last meeting.

Keep us updated Alex.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Return to “UtahBMX”