is it dumb to race with front suspension?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

seanfrazer7
NEXT

is it dumb to race with front suspension?

Postby seanfrazer7 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:11 pm

I want to get back into the race scene out here in UT (after being out of it for 8 years). But I have a limited amount of money. I am also interested in downhill and dirt jumps. There are bikes that look like cruisers but they have 26" tires and front suspension that are made for dirt jumps. the back is still rigid. I am trying to decide whether to buy a 20" bike to race OR buy one of those dirt jumping bikes to do both. I know I could race cruiser class with the 26" bike but would I stick out like a sore thumb and look completely dumb? Has anyone seen someone race this kind of bike before?

dilleyboys
GHP

Re: is it dumb to race with front suspension?

Postby dilleyboys » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:54 pm

They are getting very popular i'll bet we see many of them on the track soon!

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm

yes

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

The 26 mt. bikes dirt jumpers are getting to be very popular in the cruiser classes. 41-45 has 3 or more regulars on them. If you can lock out the fork while racing on the track, that's the way to go.
If you want to do other things like dirt jump or skatepark, a 26er is the way to go. The Specialized P bikes look like a good buy right out of the box.

Welcome back!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

seanfrazer7
NEXT

Postby seanfrazer7 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:51 am

Thanks guys! I think I'll save for the 26"! When I get it I'll post some pictures.

ronnyg801
Huffy

Postby ronnyg801 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:42 pm

Hey, Ive got a 26" I dont race anymore but I like the bike a lot. I plan to race again this spring on it. If it were me I would go to Go-Ride and check out the Black Market bikes they have there. I have a P2 I got for a song on KSL but I would way rather have a Black Market than a P-bike. I feel they come more well equipped.

As far as front suspension, I feel it is fairly worthless on a BMX track IMO. I-street in the other hand. I am thankful that it is there.

If you are really planning on doing downhill a hard tail will not cut it.

Unfortunately a "do it all bike" doesnt shine any place. Not saying you cant have one but be prepared to feel it.
I remember when BMX racing was done for fun...

Alex-Gren
Schwinn

Postby Alex-Gren » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm not much of a mt. biker but from all the stuff I've heard Black Market completes are amazing for the price, and they really aren't that expensive. I've ridden one and they ride really well too!
Also, Black Market is a branch off of S&M just like Fit Bike Co. And they are all awesome companies.

seanfrazer7
NEXT

Postby seanfrazer7 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am

What do you think about the 2009 SE DJ flyer? It's only $600. Will it hold up?

ronnyg801
Huffy

Postby ronnyg801 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm

I cant find specs on it but it looks similarly equipped to an entry level black market(which isnt bad). You may end up having to upgrade some stuff down the road, possibly not but I would bet it is a good start.

I was browsing S&M's site yesterday and saw that they now have a 26" pitch fork so if you decide you dont like front suspension or want to shed the weight there is a solid option.

600 bones is pretty hard to beat new, I paid 400 for a used p2 that was fairly used.
I remember when BMX racing was done for fun...

seanfrazer7
NEXT

Postby seanfrazer7 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:29 pm

I decided to buy a 2009 SE DJ flyer. Hopefully you'll see me at Rad Canyon in May! Come say hi if you see me! I'll post a picture when I get some. Thanks for the posts!

Return to “UtahBMX”