Virgin BMX- Thanks Brian Black and Mike Empey (sp-?)

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

mhp800
GT

Re: Virgin BMX- Thanks Brian Black and Mike Empey (sp-?)

Postby mhp800 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 am

Brian Black signed the last agreement with the NBL so if Fred Smith has not signed it you in .

Carson
NEXT

Postby Carson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 am

Just out of curiousity would it help to have a petition made up and placed at the registration desk at the next indoor at Rad Canyon???

We have raced down in Virgin and it was a fun track along with a beautiful back drop.

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:16 pm

Petitions won't do much good because this is more of a legal circumstance rather than a consensus, but good thinking regardless.

I think that Steve can handle this well. He knows the advantages of a switch and how to present them. He also knows the right people at the ABA for the Virgin people to talk to and how to leverage those assets in just the right way.

That being said, the switch of Virgin to ABA would be a big boon for Virgin, Utah BMX, and the ABA. I truly believe that with the right supporting cast (and sanction) this track could be one of the best there is in BMX. It would be a stellar performer in Utah and also have the potential for a large draw on regional (or national) events pulling people from a lot of western states. It is, after all, the most beautiful location for a track in BMX!

Makes me wish we were back "home" trying to make it all happen.
~Curtis

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Spoke to Fred and it doesnt appear that anything will be changing soon. He has already made a verbal commitment to John Diaz with the NBL Nellis track in Vegas to coordinate with them for 2010. Fred is a super nice guy with the right intentions but may be sheltered from the ABA world by only being affiliated with the NBL folk. I have invited him up to SLC to check out our local scene and give him a tour of our indoor and outdoor facilities.

He doesnt seem to think he would get support from SLC being 3 + hours away so I would like to plan a weekend trip for our supporting ABA Utah BMX community down to Virgin when they have a race in February or March to show the kind of numbers and support we can bring. I think after that he might understand the commraderie we have and catch our infectious vibe that has created the most successful local BMX program in the country.

We dont want to come across as anti-NBL because we are not. We are just looking out for the best interests of the sport and the local/regional program. With our fantastic support and enthusiasm I am sure we could have a more substantial impact on their program than Las Vegas would even though it is closer.

More to come on a planned trip to Virgin....

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Steve or Bill or Jason, I know you'll know the answer to this, but I think each card carrying ABA member cab have one free NBL race per year, isn't that correct? More than that in a year and an NBL license is required?

I'm up for a southern utah trip! That is a fun track. And with no Utah indoor dates, march would be ideal.

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:06 pm

b2 wrote:Steve or Bill or Jason, I know you'll know the answer to this, but I think each card carrying ABA member cab have one free NBL race per year, isn't that correct? More than that in a year and an NBL license is required?

I'm up for a southern utah trip! That is a fun track. And with no Utah indoor dates, march would be ideal.

You are correct Brent and that is all part of my master plan to get a crew of Laketowners down to Virgin. As soon as we get a confirmed schedule from them we can start planning carpools, hotels, camping, etc. I think a Gooseberry Mesa MTB ride would be in order too =oD

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle

UTAH BMX Charter Member

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:38 pm

First Steve is right Fred is a super nice guy . But Fred is 74 plus years old and can not keep this track up by himself . He was in there as a T.O. before and was happy with 3 motos . They will go back to their old ways and let the track go down hill. Not to bash on Fred but they have a lack of volunteers and people willing to step up and get involved. (Stout)

As far as the free race, anyone that has never raced the NBL before will get one race free as part of what they call the Bring a Buddy program. So Brent you would have to buy a license to race the NBL now...ha ha I will have to check the status of my license and maybe you could race as me but faster.

I spoke with Brian Black Sunday after the race and he tells me that the NBL and the BLM have a contract to operate thru 2010. I don't know if this contract can be broke or not.

Verbal contract or not NBL or ABA this track will not survive without volunteers. Too many people don't see eye to eye and will not do what they need to do for the kids. My wife Wendy, was the track clerk for 1.5 years (aka board member) and they never once asked her opinion or to vote on any issue.

I am all for blowing up their first race of the season next year or whenever you guys decide to do it. But be prepared to volunteer as they will be overwhelmed. If you are my friend (just kidding), I have six plus beds and a lot of floor space.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:27 pm

mhp800 wrote:I am all for blowing up their first race of the season next year or whenever you guys decide to do it. But be prepared to volunteer as they will be overwhelmed. If you are my friend (just kidding), I have six plus beds and a lot of floor space.

Dibs on poaching Bill's license and a bed! :twisted:

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:44 pm

Bill- What are you wanting me to do? (Stout)
"Push to the line!"

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Jason

First I want you to do what you want to do !

But with that said this track needs someone with a lot of BMX experience . And talking with you I have found out that you have a lot of knowledge in BMX . I under stand that your life my be pulling you in a different direction at this point , But you have BMX in your blood and you will be back .

Good luck in your new venture and hope to see you soon .

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm here to help. I look forward with a lot of enthusiasm to racing this year.

:)

Jason Stout
"Push to the line!"

Return to “UtahBMX”