About ready to pull the trigger.....

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

About ready to pull the trigger.....

Postby J Gallo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:56 pm

on a new camera :)

I should hopefully be purchasing my new digital SLR camera in the next few weeks, so any suggestions anyone may have regarding models and lenses please let me know!

I've enjoyed Canon products over the years, so I'll probably stick with that brand. I was hoping to step up to the 30D, but that would blow my entire budget and I wouldn't have enough for a decent lens. If I scale back to the XTI, I can get a nice lens that will also do indoor shots well. I'm not looking to be "professional", but I definitely need to step up for better BMX action shots, as well as other general photography that I am highly interested in.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Postby Tricycle Tony » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Jason-
When everyone shot film it was an easy decision to spend more on the lens and less on the little black box. Digital, has changed all of that. Now, you need to look at the chip and processor as well as the lens. Resolving power is changed by the way the cmos sensor "interprets" the image from the lens. The Xti however, has good electronics in that it does not try and "interpret" the image with confusing processes (ala DIGIC II). The speed of the little black box is important as well; especially when it comes to sports. 3 frames per second is not very fast for sports, but you can out wit speed, by changing your shooting angle (another subject). Spend more on the glass and get a fast lens, with a fixed aperture. (70-200 f/2.8 IS or 24-70 f/2.8). You could always buy prime lenses as they are usually sharper, faster, and cheaper then the fixed aperture zooms. I have the 20mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4 they are great lenses, fast, and very sharp.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mohandas Gandhi

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:51 am

I'm dizzy...

..you lost me at hello!

:)

BLong
GT

if you have not already picked one out...

Postby BLong » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:06 pm

I purchased a Canon EOS 20D just before the 30D came out. The stock 18-55 lens that came with it is "OK." You can stop a spoke just fine outside with the lens-- indoors needs some help. The 30D has minor improvements, but sells for about the same price.

Biggest pluses:
Takes most any Canon lens
Full weight and size metal body, but not so heavy that is sucks to use all day
Regularly bust off 22 frames in a row
Can shoot JPG and RAW at the same time
Battery lasts for well over 1000 shots without flash (actually never even came close to draining it)

Biggest minuses:
It is SLR, so a nice 200mm lens starts at $700

Biggest regret:
Should have picked it up sooner

<-edit->

forgot to mention, Newegg does have a 30d package with a 28-135 lens (still not that impressive?) for $1420
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6830120205

the 18-55 is $1220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6830120038

you could always buy a second lens before the indoor starts! just say no to the XTI -jk - it would still be a strong camera, just not a real camera :P

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:39 pm

Tim Lilethorp (TimL on Vintage) and I were talking in Phoenix about cameras. He has a 20D and I have a five year old D30 that needs replacing sometime soon. Apparently there are some new bodies coming out and even the 1D Mark Series are coming down in price and getting some new improvements. I would suggest waiting a month and keeping an eye on www.dpreview.com

Good to see there are a few shutterbugs out there!
~Curtis

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:31 pm

one word.................NIKON :D
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

greg

Postby greg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:32 pm

one word.................NIKON :D

greg

Postby greg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:33 pm

OK...same word said twice. lol

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:21 am

Ok, I'm down to 2 choices:

Canon EOS 30D

Nikon D80

There is a great deal on the D80 right now, body and 18-55 lens for $1100, or for just a bit more I can get an 18-135 lens instead.

I love Canon, but in my research lately I've been able to find more "help" files for the Nikon, which would probably help me make the switch to a DSLR easier. I guess with either choice I can't go wrong.

Now, anyone got any suggestions how I talk the wife into it? HAAAHAA
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

BLong
GT

some additional help (or pain?)

Postby BLong » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:37 pm

Depending on how much more information you want, this site is a great resource:
http://www.megapixel.net/html/cover.php

You will find some great reviews that include the settings used to achieve specific results.

If you have already made up your mind, this site may be more pain as it can make you second guess yourself :D

-Brian

greg

Postby greg » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:48 pm

jason,
you know the old saying......it's always easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission. lol

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:26 am

I love Canon, but in my research lately I've been able to find more "help" files for the Nikon, which would probably help me make the switch to a DSLR easier.

That is likely because Nikon users need more help. :P

Seriously...I do not see why you would need a help file. The Canons come with a manual that is over 100 pages long and lets you know every feaure of the camera. In five years with my D30 I have still not been through it all.

Also, if you buy Canon you will be able to trade lenses with others that typically have quality glass. I have been able to borrow really spendy L-Series glass from friends and been able to help them out when they needed a different lens as well.

Whether you go Canon or Nikon, take a careful look at the pre-packaged lens and make sure it is a good one.
~Curtis

Return to “UtahBMX”