Biggest local race of the year is coming up, are you ready?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Biggest local race of the year is coming up, are you ready?

Postby bnd » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:48 pm

- Ok, first up I want to remind everybody that the Saturday night Race for Life is the generally the biggest race of the season around these parts. I forget what we had last year but the moto count was high. Let's try to beat it, shall we?

- I am making a few calls to friends to see if they or their kids would be interested in riding. I think I can get at least 1 involved. Take the time to make a phone call or invite someone at school to come out & check it out. This is the time where some of us experianced racers can bring in some new blood. If Jason Stout can bring 5+ riders every year surely you can invite just 1 person......? :oops:

- I am also planning on giving some of my out of state friends a call to see if they can make it. How about a shout to ex-racers you haven't seen in awhile? I'm doing that too, just to remind them of what's going on.

- Is there a Grass Roots course going on Saturday?

- If you have any extra gear, put your name on it & bring it out. Extra helmets, gloves & pads are always needed on this weekend.

This about covers my thoughts on the RFL, any other input would be welcome.

- The UtBMX.com webcam will be up & running again. We will most likely post up times for broadcast. I'm sure Gallo will post up an easy link to log on & listen & view the race action. Give your realatives, friends or whoever the link so if they can't make it out, at least they can check it out online.

- I would like to line up some interviews with certain people locally. Ian & Heather, Halvey, Spencer, Ron & Jason Melton, Travis Healey, are on the list. Don't be shy when your name is called.

- Saturday night is "No-Clips". Could somebody PLEASE get ahold of Davis Blankenship so I can get our trophy back? ......& remember, it's easy in these classes (21 & under, 22 & over) any bike, any person you just have to be running flat pedals. The bragging rights are priceless, plus the winner of the 22+ class gets their name forever written on the trophy!

- I asked for a 1/2 day off on Friday & got it. I will be out around 12:30pm to set up & help out. I'm sure if there are more volunteers that can come out & help, the better.

Anymore input?

Thanks!
Bruce

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:09 pm

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Bruce!

That is a great idea, each rider should try to bring out at least one new rider to let them experience BMX.

If you have some spare gear you are willing to loan out for the night, please bring it out and write your name on it. We can set up a check out sheet where the borrowers have to leave their contact info and/or drivers liscence.

The RFL is not only a great opportunity to let friends and family try BMX but the proceeds go to a great cause... the Leukememia & Lymphoma Society.

Please spread the word with fellow racers, family and friends and lets take on Bruce's challenge!

Thanks,
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:03 am

I am making up a flyer today that Bennett and Annas teachers will put in each students weekly class newsletter tomorrow. If anyone knows where I can get an ABA RFL flyer to start with please let me know.

Thanks!
~Curtis

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:00 pm

...5 riders a year....hum....on a bad RFL day...:)

I had 13 last January, 11 the one before that and "only" 7- RFLer's 3 years ago....

I invite friends, neighbors, and any kid on a bmx bike that let's me talk to parents and explain what it is. They all say- "We've been looking for something like that for our kid!"

Invite them to come watch on Friday...they usually "get it" and want to try it on Saturday. Also, mention it's a fundraiser- for cancer- and don't worry about making the main- just come ride! I also challenge them to ride and "not crash!" That's more important that making your main- right Mr. Dale?

Believe me, I've knocked out an ex- girlfriend, and my cousin's kid at the race for life- so there is risk any time you ride....but whoever participates is usually glad they do.

Another suggestion is invite family members of the participants to come video tape, bring food, and participate however they can. Make it a whole group activity and hang out together in the stands. Explain the format of the racing, and who's who. More often than not, they get into it! If it's something they want to keep doing, they will. I don't expect them to become full time racers ever- just to have fun on the RFL day! It's awesome to bring in over a hundred dollars in entry fees to help out the race for life.

I raced back in the day when the kid who started this RFL stuff was racing. We are about the same age. He passed away back in the mid- '80s. I've had the blessing of being healthy enough to race bikes, even as an old man! I've ridden the MS 150 and other fund raisers, and it's awesome to ride for a cause...for a cure! It's always been worth the extra effort to get others on board for this special race! I have 3 committed riders for this Saturday and I'll be calling more this week.

Also- I'll be needing all of your help again with helmets, and bikes for my RFLers! Another miracle is to see who lends their stuff to my friends! Without you all, I couldn't get so many people to come... Thanks again , yo!

See you at the races!

Coach Jason

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:36 pm

Just so I'm giving the correct info on the RFL. You don't need a membership, and the entry is $20? For those with memberships, it's double points?

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Justin,
I think the entry fee for RFL'ers is $10 & you don't need a membership. Am I wrong?

Stout, your missionary skills are still in full effect, your just preaching another gospel that all, lol. Good job.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Errr, I mean Dr. Alvey. :)

b.

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:17 pm

Below is the text copy from the flyer going out at my kids school. It looks a lot better in Word, but you get the idea:

Come Try BMX Racing and Support a Great Charity!
What: Rad Canyon BMX “RACE FOR LIFE”
When: January 27th – Registration 3:00 – 4:00 PM
Where: The warm, indoor Salt Lake County Events Center
11400 South 2200 West, South Jordan, UT
Who: All proceeds go to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
The Race for Life is a fun, family-oriented BMX race to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. An ABA BMX membership is not required and only a $10 minimum donation is necessary to race. If available, other racers or the track will make bikes and safety equipment available for those who need them.
The emphasis of the race itself is on fun. There are many people participating at the Race for Life who have never even been on a BMX bike so there is no pressure to perform. It is an excellent opportunity to see one of the most successful BMX programs in the country and get to meet some of the great people involved with the sport in Utah.
If you would like to participate and are in need of a bike or equipment, or just need more information, please contact Curtis Newkirk at (801) 541-0968
It all started in 1981 when an avid 12 year old BMX racer from Michigan discovered he had Leukemia. Todd Kingsbury was his name, and like many kids, he had dreams of someday becoming a top pro in the sport. Unfortunately, this dreaded disease would keep Todd from fulfilling his dream.
In July 1981, when the American Bicycle Association (ABA) staff learned of Todd's diagnosis, the organization and the "family-like" sport of BMX decided to pitch in and help by launching the "Race For Life" series, with all the proceeds going to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's efforts to help find a cure for kids such as Todd. An amazing $223,000 was raised that first year, with 130 ABA tracks putting on Race For Life events.

Each year since 1981, every ABA track holds a "Race For Life", with all proceeds going to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
~Curtis

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:41 pm

If anyone knows where I can get an ABA RFL flyer to start with please let me know.

Curtis,
Contact Ron about any RFL literature or contact Bill Curtin at billc@ababmx.com and he can help you.

It has been tough to stay on top of everything going on with the track along with personal and work responsibilities but I would have liked to get an earlier start on promoting the RFL race so to allow more time to raise more funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Hopefully we can do it for the outdoor season.

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

Ron M
The TO

Postby Ron M » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:29 pm

For the 2007 season all RFL Dbl PT races are now $ 20.00 entry fees. This is a change from previous & mandated by the ABA, local tracks have no say regarding this matter. Also, the ABA just announced this policy to us today, not realizing the closeness to our RFL next week. I apologize for the lateness of this change & the hardship it may cause.
Ron Melton, Rad Canyon

Ron M
The TO

Postby Ron M » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:12 pm

I just posted to the bmx news section that Rad will hold the $10.00 entry fee for next Saturday's RFL. Sorry for the confussion.
Ron

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:26 pm

So- is it $10 or $20?

Sorry- I'm a little slow...(off the track, anyway! ;))

JS

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:51 pm

It sounds like the ABA is going to charge $20 for double point Race for Life races this season. However, because of the late notice, RAD Canyon will honor the $10 fee per last years policy.

Just another reason RAD Canyon BMX is the BEST in Utah!!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks again Ron and crew. I'm sure some strings had to be pulled for that to happen. Nice work!

Coach Jason

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:41 pm

No strings pulled.... just a very understanding and supportive Track Operator who is willing to foot the bill.

Thanks Ron! We all appreciate your corrective action.
Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

Return to “UtahBMX”