Rad Canyon outdoor rebuild!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Rad Canyon outdoor rebuild!

Postby bnd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:10 am

The 1st jump. How about filling that face in so it's not like the last legacy indoor? Coming out of the gate at full throttle w 7 other guys then hitting a white knuckle, technical obstacle, not fun. What's wrong with something safe like a table?

I'm going off of what the pic looks like, if it ends up different then I guess I'm wrong, sorry. But I'm just speaking what others are thinking.

Thanks,
b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:44 am

more lippy!!! big-deep rollers steep and tech just like we need and love!!! looks great so far

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:50 am

I'm just talking about the 1st jump.
I wouldn't mind seeing some big dubs w/ a good run up to them.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:17 am

Kiss, I can see where Bruce is coming from. Squirells like me can mess up a lot of other peoples day by balling up when the group is that tight on the first jump. Once things are seperated out a little bit better so you have some room to go around the carnage, some technical stuff would give everyone something to work on.

I'm not complaining, as I figure anything that forces me to step up my game is going to benefit me in the long run. Unfortunately that also means it can, as Billy so politely put it, "Eat my lunch", until my bike skills improve, and I get things dialed in.

Thanks Jason and Steve for taking the time to build us such fun tracks to play bikes on. I'm looking forward to the chance to put in some laps on the new track, and see if I can keep thing oriented the right direction.
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:42 am

i spoke to jason yesterday and mentioned it looked a bit lippy and deep for an out of the gate obstacle, and what he and steve are doing is

1. the start hill has been greatly shortened so you wont come out of the gate with a 28 mph sprint

2. the pictures make it look much steeper than it is

3. they are going to keep it very rollable even at high speeds even if it means adding dirt to it after a few runs have deemed it " too gnarly "

they have it in mind to make a challenging and " kid , old man " friendly track.

im stoked i think the design is awesome. i feel the need for a "fun" track but i also hate going to nationals an feeling out of place cause the obstacles are so big that it messes with your confidence , theres always tooele and legacy for "fun" easy low expericnce tracks to ride. lets keep this a national caliber track and give your experts and NAG riders something to train on, after all some of them are after BMX as a lifestyle and for income :)
Freedom Energy/ODEN/Dirt Militia Team Manager

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:36 pm

I'm curious about how so many people can complain about the rebuild when a) it's not done yet (not graded or compacted) b) you're not out helping build it c) you haven't seen it in real life and d) you haven't taken a lap on it yet.

I would think that before judgement is passed, we should get the whole track completed and ride it for a bit. The last time the track was rebuilt everyone thought it was too difficult and too lippy. After a month of dragging it and allowing it to settle in, everyone thought it was perfect.

The whole other issue that this brings up is overall track difficulty. I can tell you from experience that all of our local tracks (including RAD), are very simple and non-technical compared to what our riders face at any National. If you had issues with the first jump at Legacy, make sure you never go to a national!!! The first jump at Chula Vista was pretty much like the first jump at Legacy indoor, but about 3x as large and with a lippy step down on the back side. Every national this year has been similar. BMX seems to be slowly morphing into two related sports. One being a more supercross style with tall start hills, tall/lippy jumps, tech rythmn sections etc. This is what is needed if you ever intend to do well at a national. The other being a more Novice/Intermediate friendly local track. This is what is needed to keep new riders coming into the sport and the non-national going type riders in the sport.

Keep in mind that Rad outdoor is the main track for a lot of riders who chase the nationals, and those riders need an adequate place to train. Rad Outdoor is also Utah's national track. We've seen fewer riders coming to our National over the past 2 years, mainly because it is felt that Rad Canyon is too non-technical and easy to ride and that combined with the altitude skews the results. With a new more "modern" build style, that will stop.

Steve does a great job on these tracks. I think he's doing this rebuild with both groups in mind

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:10 pm

+1, Like, Amen, etc...
We are fortunate enough to have multiple tracks in Utah, take advantage of all of them & enjoy the variety!
If you can't ride Rad, practice at the others until your skills and confidence improve.
Let those who ride decide (Bruce) :P
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:10 pm

bnd wrote:I'm just talking about the 1st jump.
b.

As usual some people have to make mts out of mole hills. I KNOW what it takes, time & effort, to build a track, I KNOW how much man power it takes to buff in a new track. I was involved with the original build of RC back in 96' & ended up getting booted because of my "opinion". :roll:

Before people think I'm, or others are dissing a build that isn't even completed, think again.
I'm talking about the 1st jump & thinking out loud. Sorry if it rubs some the wrong way!

Seeing that I'll be racing this track on a limited basis, I'll keep my fricking mouth shut from now on.

b.

jakesteiger
Huffy

Postby jakesteiger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:52 pm

I am up for anything that is going to improve my bike skill. Can't wait to get on this track and force the issue. Thanks Jason and Steve for you time and dedication to make this track the best it can be.

Jake

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Looking good!
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (222.85 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:46 pm

We will be doing some hand work Sunday April 8th from 11am to 2pm
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 am

d showed me a pic of the track flooded, bummer! Another thing she showed me was a pump track Mack built, is that on public land, if so where is it in Orem?

After handwork next weekend, is the track going to be ridable?

b.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:15 am

ok folks, here is the plan, we will work on the track this Sat April 14th, 12-5pm, and Sun April 15th 12-4pm to get the track ride able. We will get all the work done before we ride. If the work is done Sat we will ride and tune up the track Sun. So if you want to help come on out during those times and we will put you to work. Riding will be free, but MUST work to ride. All is weather permitting!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
(801)860-9357

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:50 am

If you (Jason or Steve) need any help this week with the track, let me know. The track looks great and DOC said it "when we drag it and ride it" then ya'll can start your gripeline! We need this type of track in order to be prepared for any national track. On another note Roger and michelle down at redhills bmx, built an awesome track and had yet another great wekend! Word is they have a big time facility all ready for us!

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:11 pm

Last Straight is done, pic is up on Rad's Facebook page. i dont know how to post it on here?
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
(801)860-9357

Return to “UtahBMX”