ROLLIN'-ROLAND CRITCHFIELD

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

onephastkiss
GT

ROLLIN'-ROLAND CRITCHFIELD

Postby onephastkiss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:26 am

ANYBODY THAT HAS EVER ATTENDED A LOCAL RACE IN ANOTHER STATE CAN APPRECIATE WHAT WE HAVE HERE! ROLAND, IS A TOP NOTCH, ANNOUNCER/ENTERTAINER. HE TAKES TIME TO GET TO KNOW ALL THE RIDERS, AND I MEAN EVERY SINGLE RACER. HE ALWAYS "PLUGS" SPONSORS AND TEAMS, AND JUST HAS THE ABILITY TO KEEP-UP WITH THE FAST PACE OF BMX RACING! WE ARE INDEED LUCKY TO HAVE AN INCREDIBLE "VOICE" OF UTAHBMX. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE TIME TO THANK HIM, AND SHARE ANY OLD-SCHOOL BMX STORIES YOU CAN RECALL. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS GO TO A LOCAL RACE IN A DIFFERENT STATE AND YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY REALIZE HOW LUCKY/FORTUNATE WE ARE HERE IN UTAH. CHEERS BRAH!!!

billyschuler
GT

Re: ROLLIN'-ROLAND CRITCHFIELD

Postby billyschuler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:46 pm

cheers to that, roland is by far the best announcer next to mike redman ;) ... the best thing baout roland is just like bruce said he knows everyone, and he takes the time to give you props and " sandbagger" comments when appropriate, ro...your ganster buddy..thank you!
Freedom Energy/ODEN/Dirt Militia Team Manager

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Roland, thanks for doing such a proffesional job announcing our races, and making them so much more fun and exciting to watch. It has been great getting to know you and that you have taken the time to get to know me and my family. My kids have really enjoyed your commentary, and are excited about the fact that you have taken the time to get to know them. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise and knowledge about BMX with me and for being a good friend.

Hal Gaerte
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

dirt diggler
NEXT

Postby dirt diggler » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Roland, the Dunehew fam sends its thanks. cant count how many props you have given MGD during his races, thanks for all the hard work u have done in promoting the sport of BMX you are a top notch anouncer and a great friend looking forward to the next BBQ or what ever brings us together. MGD sends his thanks he digs you more then you will ever know

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Roland!!
Thanks for keeping us all entertained while we watch, and participate in, the races!
Thanks for all of the plugs for Crazy Old Guys gear (COG gear, get it?)!
Thanks for taking the time to get to know the kids and for commenting on them, especialy when they move-up to the next level.
Thanks for makin' it look so easy and sound so good!! 8)
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

REDHILLSBMX
Intense

Postby REDHILLSBMX » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Thank You!---- Thank You!-- Thank You).!-- For always being so willing to make the drive to RedHills when we needed you!! You made our First Race, State Race, and Double Points race go so smoothly!! You are truly a great person, and we are so thankful to have the opportunity to get to know such a great man!!!! Your talent is truly amazing and you make each and every race you announce a joy to be at!!!!

Thanks Again!!!
Rodger and Michelle Brazell
and the rest of the Redhills BMX riders!!!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Alot of people don't know that Roland is one of the 1st gen racers around here, racing back in the late 70's until the early 80's then coming back in the mid-90's until he retired for good in 02'. In his 2nd comeback he had a period (a short period :lol: ) where he dominated our cruiser class. He then turned Pro for a time too. I don't know what he was better at, cutting people off or the gift of gab. :P

At the 52 second part of this video is footage of Roland racing & beating Jace & myself up at the old Preston track in 99'.

http://www.utahbmx.com/bnd/99trailsmilehighpreston.wmv

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

jakesteiger
Huffy

Postby jakesteiger » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 pm

My son Keegan has been racing for about 2 years and I have only been racing for a short time but it didn't matter Roland made it a point to make us feel wanted and appreciated into the BMX Family. It doesn't matter were I run in the field he always makes sure that I get announced and that Breast Cancer Awareness is appropriately represented. I always tell my wife how great of a job Roland does with the announcing and she really appreciates the support that he has given to Breast Cancer Awareness. Roland you are a stand-up guy with a lot of enthusiasm, my family appreciates everything that you have done for our family and the support that you have given us.

Thank you so much Roland.

Jake Steiger

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Great thread, Kiss!

R-Cizzle on the Mizzle! So much can be said for you, buddy! From the beginning of our racing 3 years ago you've been great to Lucas and myself! I know it's a boost to the kids' self-esteem to hear their names called out when they're working hard on the track and especially when they get the chance to come up to the announcers' tower and have the spotlight on them for a few more seconds.

The golden voice on the mic! Utah BMX and Roland go hand-in-hand!

Thank you for everything over the years! Here's to many more! Love you man!

Skeleton
Huffy

Postby Skeleton » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:43 am

Props to Kiss for getting the ball rollin' on this topic.
Never enough thanks to the voice of Utah BMX. Even though I tease you about talking just to hear yourself talk... I would not want it any other way. The fact that you know almost every kid in the moto and are sure to give each and every one of them their own praise is AMAZING. Utah BMX will not be the same without you and I hope that you find the love in your heart to stay and announce the upcoming season and many more to come... In the past year you have become like a brother to me and I have heard story after story about the years you have spent in BMX and I know the passion you have for this sport and whether it is spoke directly to you or not it is very much appreciate and I know that you feel that. I know that you have to follow your heart and do what feels right for you by moving on to bigger and better things.. but let's not be selfish :lol: here RC.. Think of all the kids you will be letting down by leaving.. they need your voice to push them down the track just as much as us parents need it in the stands.. So with that said.. RC you Rock!! Thanks for all the time you give to the track and for being the voice of Utah BMX. 8)
The Baker's

jacsonwall
NEXT

Postby jacsonwall » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:02 am

I want to take a sec and give props to the master mc Roland! We have traveled down to Rad Canyon for the last 2 winter indoor series, and have had a blast! Roland you have been a major key to the wonderful experience this has been for my entire family, and our kids Beamer and Madison, and the entire snake river bmx family. We have made many new friends south of the border. You have a skill that allows you to remember who the kids are, and make them feel important from the newest novice to the most experienced expert rider. You not only plug the riders names, and the sponsors names, but you also help support other tracks and communities outside of the Rad Canyon Family. This year you came up north and helped make the SQR Weekend at Snake River BMX a HUGE success! You called the races right on, plugged the sponsors, teams, and riders right on and helped to promote our weekend and track on FB and at your home track. We look forward to the indoor season and hope to hear you calling the races!

Thanks for your friendship, the amazing job you do at Rad, and for your help that you have given to the SRBMX Family!
Jacson Wall
SRBMX

Roland
Huffy

Postby Roland » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Peeps, it is awesome to hear ya all for sure!!! I get a lot of thanks and such all over the place... I love you ALL!!! the riders, the parents, the sport, etc. but I had to make a commitment in my life that hindered me from committing to Rad Canyon indoor... Timing for me to detach from the program just makes sense. Besides living in the SE corner of Egypt is a stretch some nights!!!
Please allow me to explain, and assure you that I will make great efforts to still be a part of the Great BMX tradition here and anywhere my travels take me... This sport is Extremely Addicting!!!!
Through the Summer of 2010 (which signifies a critical point in the Mist-ified project ie.Biz Plan) The plan allowed me the freedom to make arrangements or commitments to things like a BMX schedule while we were in test marketing and proof of concept stages...
The 7 year plan (started selling Mist-ified products in the Summer of 2004) was to create/test/and develop a line of products worthy of going to "affordable retail distribution with"... Mission accomplished!
Now it is time to put it for sale as a proven concept and allow the folks with deeper pockets to spread the news about it to the world...
Thus, as many of you know I have been in training the last few weeks with my new job which is demanding time to get trained and become fluent with... Not a great time to be committing to another season...
Kiss, (Skud) I appreciate your vine here man, you are a Riot to have in the scene... I have spent many miles traveling with your crazee "Skilled" ass and appreciate you helping me to get to these places!!! The memories (and lack of sum) are awesome!!!
You all Rock, your kids rock and as soon as I can see ya next, we'll all Rock!!!

Roland

Roland
Huffy

Postby Roland » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:24 pm

... oh and Britt, you are a Bratt!! ;) Love ya!!

budderdirt
NEXT

Postby budderdirt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:21 pm

I too would like to express the "other Barton's" appreciation and gratitude for RC, the "mistical front-man" of the YooTaw BMX scene. Thanks, Roland, best of luck to ya...hope to see you soon.

--budderdirt
budderdirt

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:16 am

Roland, your moving on?

Wow, I understand how life gets in the way of BMX & I hope everything goes your way in the future.
The thing about Roland is not only did he gets to know everybody in the present but his knowledge of Utah BMX history & the faces & names that have come before is about second to none. Replacing him, off the top of my head will be next to impossible, Steve Spencer comes to mind but he already has a full plate.
Years ago they had open try outs for the position when Brad Harmon stepped down as T.O. Jackie Smith had a run as did Dave Halliday. You never know who in the stands has the talent for something like this.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Return to “UtahBMX”