Morning News Report from the Track?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

Morning News Report from the Track?

Postby J Gallo » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:35 am

I'm not sure how many people watch the early morning newscasts, but at least Channel 2 and Fox 13 have an outside morning reporter that goes to different places around the valley. I've even seen them do a morning report from freestyle motocross events that come in town from time to time.

I wonder how we could get them to come out to a BMX track one morning this summer? I'm sure we could get a bunch of people to come and and do some riding. Maybe some jumping and a couple race style moto's?

I'd love to see this put together. Any thoughts or ideas?
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:03 am

send PROFESSIONAL press releases out anouncing upcoming events, results of big events, local riders making it big nationally, etc, etc.

write articles and submit them.

talk to people over and over and over, even though they say no the first 20 times, it's that 21st time that counts.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:06 am

I called every news station and newspaper in the valley when the Nationals were here. I agree, a professional press release. Any professional writers out there?
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

greg

Postby greg » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:14 am

well, I didn't actually mean a professional has to write it, just that it has to be professional in nature. There are plenty of good templates out there on the web, and it's pretty easy to educate yourself on where and when to send them out. The point is it our sport should be presented in a professional manner, showing organization and making it interesting to the media.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:24 am

The other morning Fox 13 did a live morning report from the Utah Dodgeball facility. If they're doing dodgeball, BMX shouldn't be turned down.

greg

Postby greg » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:44 am

well, BMX didn't have a major motion picture recently either. go figure

justinsbmxmom
SE Floval Flyer

Postby justinsbmxmom » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:57 am

Justin's dad wrote a proposal for sponsorship. Here are blurps from it that I thought sounded good...

It’s no surprise to find the best exposure within family-oriented organizations that emulate both youthful and adult achievement, family togetherness and wholesome local entertainment. Such is the American Bicycle Association and its growing leagues of Bicycle Motocross or BMX. With their traditional family values and an innovative system of qualifying participants, the association’s BMX not only promotes fairness but also enhances the competitive nature of the very sport itself and still affords each and everyone involved the chance to be a winner.

Today, the ABA BMX racing sport brings arguably the most prestigious National Amateur Championship to cover all ages all the while allowing for the development of skills at individual paces. Participants learn about winning, losing, and most important, trying again. The racer’s family learns that time spent together in support of the racer and the individual achievement recognized are all quality time.
Jenni - SE Ridin' BMX Chic

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:31 am

The other morning Fox 13 did a live morning report from the Utah Dodgeball facility. If they're doing dodgeball, BMX shouldn't be turned down.

maybe we should get a BMX dodgeball team together!

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:39 pm

All of the different channels have been out to Rad Canyon at one time or another. There was always at least 2 stations cover the nationals when Rad was first opened up and starting getting nationals. When the Worlds and the Van's Triple Crown were here, there was all kinds of coverage, so its available upon request. Featuring top riders is a losing proposition however. The fact is that they love to see the big boys busting gates and jumping down the first straight, but the most air time is given to the little guys and girls, and to be totally honest, they are our best marketing tools because they are so irresistable to the announcers and to the studio people. Press releases are helpful, but just calling the station and talking to the sports depts works the best. The TO at Rad should look into that this coming year. Tanna Halliday worked for an ad agency and she knows how to do the press releases and how to follow up on them too. So between those two sources, it shouldnt be too hard to get someone out there.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:45 pm

last year fox13 was out at rad a couple of times so was 2, and the park city channel network they all did some stuff during the year. Park city ran the nationals probally 100 times on their channel. every year that is one of the main thing we try and do is to get them to come out, we evan tryed to get them out in the morning, it just depends on what is happening at that time. but we are still trying, :D and if we can get them out we'll let everyone know.

Return to “UtahBMX”