BMX Memories

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Monster Mike
NEXT

BMX Memories

Postby Monster Mike » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:54 am

Title: BMX Memories

Book One “Deseret Peak”

Chapter One

It is around 10 p.m. and I am sitting at the gate, it was a really hot summer day but now it is nice and cool, the lights are on, no bugs, no wind…this is perfect. Someone puts a country CD in the stereo, WOW!, I love country music, it takes me back to when my Mom was alive and she got this really nice “cabinet” stereo for Christmas one year. From that day on, whenever she was home, the stereo played and she sang along while working around the house, she never watched TV.

I glance over to the Pro section just as two kids jump and give each other a high five in the air. This is the best ! An older rider tells me “Wouldn’t it be cool to start the races at this time of night?”, another rider says “One of these days I’m going to jump that Pro section.” This guy used to race against Mike Poulson competitively so I tell him that it’s easier than that first double he clears as good as anyone. He rolls down the starting hill, cruises around the track and then clears the Pro section, with much more style than I ever have, and is grinning from ear to ear !

My wife is talking to the other families or taking pictures of my boy jumping or riding. As always when I ask my son where the fastest riders are he always answers “On the track!”. My wife doesn’t take pictures of me jumping or she just doesn’t show them to me, now I know why, Jason showed me a picture that looked like I was doing # 2 (in my pants) while jumping the Pro section ! Just to clear that thing for me is way cool and fun! To look good doing it I would have to go back 10 years!!!

I look down the starting hill and try to decide if I should clear the double, peddle the first corner and jump the table or just cruise and stop on the triple to try to jump the 10 pack then peddle like mad to jump the Pro section ? This is great!

My family and I have just had 5 to 7 hours of fun on $30, if we went to the show it would cost about $50 for 1 ½ hours of fun…when I think about Diana lowering the cost so the $30 includes my gas too, how cool is that ? If you went skiing with the family for 5-7 hours it would cost close to $200, so is BMX like the no name $20 jeans that fit great but don’t have the “label” that costs and extra $60 ??? Would we appreciate the county and the Track Operators if we had to pay more ???

Now I am sitting here looking at a track that is 80 % perfect and thinking, “I had better go tell Darrin what is wrong with his track…” STOP!!!, back up the truck; Look at this place, could you ever get a track to this level by yourself ? Do not kid yourself, the answer is NO ! No “one” person could do this, it takes everyone ! There are many people that could do the job if they just had the time, right ? Well who gave Darrin & Diana extra time ? Last, I checked we all have 24 hours in a day so… It is not how much time but what you use it for that counts.

Chapter Two

I was working in a warehouse at age 18 and it was my job to put everything in it’s place off the trailers as they were unloaded, around my 5th day I heard my boss yell “Kelley get back here !” I knew he was looking at the product I had put away and found several items in the wrong place. He said “Jesus! How can one person screw up so bad without trying ?” I thought about this for an hour or so while I was trying to get it right (there is no one harder on me than me) and decided that I was not “smart enough” for this job, I got my jacket and lunch pail then headed for the door telling my friend I was done. As I was leaving, my boss asked me where I was going and I told him I quit ! “For what a few mistakes? Jesus (that was his favorite word) Kelley the only people that don’t make mistakes are the ones that don’t do anything!” This has stuck with me for 27 years and I remember it to this day because it is so true.

One of the most common complaints at a track is Registration, I have personally held up registration for 1 ½ hours coming from another race thinking “Heck it’s only one time” right? Well if we all think that way, and most of us do, that pretty much takes care of the entire season ! Have you ever seen a Track Operator schedule registration from 6-8 then show up at 9:30 ? So…

Is it the T.O.’s fault when:
You have to pay for practice or races ?
There is a wreck so registration is late ?
A rider decides to race “dirty” ?
Mother Nature rains on the track ?
A race gets rescheduled because of weather ?
Staging isn’t working right ?

This list goes on and on but 95 % of the time, the answer is NO and 100 % of the time, we blame the T.O. I know because I have been on both sides and do not ever want to be the T.O. side again ! Even if it meant a track closing, I would have a hard time committing to that position again !

The track job I have now is the best. I can go to all the tracks and help, some of the tracks to change or improve things and when I do everyone who likes the change, pats me on the back and tells me good job, then all the ones who hate it, go complain to the T.O. and let them know how bad it is ! I think there are maybe three people who can make changes at about any track. I hope Steve and Bruce appreciate it like I do, we are lucky !

Chapter Three

What is a T.O.’s job ? Take care of the county so we can keep the track open, keep trying new things to make the sport grow, keep all the riders “happy”, keep the moto count up and on and on. Don’t worry they will make mistakes because no one is perfect. I have to laugh at some of the things I have done around BMX but I cannot give up, I just keep working at it. If I’m not making mistakes that means I’m not doing anything…right ?

Darrin and Diana I want to say Thank You for all the great times and memories my family and many others have had at your track, you guys are doing a great job so PLEASE keep it going. I mean this.
Thank You !!!

As a rider, don’t worry if you only can show up once a month or whatever, just come when you can and thank the Track Operators for a place to ride and have fun ! Steve came out to Tooele one race and probably made it my most fun race there because he raced 3 classes and I beat him one round ! I could have beat him in the main if that darn T.O. hadn’t given him a 10 minute rest after the first moto while I was sitting in staging, next time he races me, Darrin a 10 second break is all that’s allowed !!

Coming Soon…

Book Two “Rad Canyon “

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:26 am

You said everyone only has 24 hrs in a day, right? Where did you buy your 25th & 26th hours for the time to write this? That is some of the best reading I have had in a long time. Very well said Monster! :idea:

IluvmyStaats

Postby IluvmyStaats » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:05 pm

hmmmm..............very well written. I like it! keep up the good work- this is DEFINETLY better than Bubbalicious' stuff! good work!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:15 pm

b.

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:56 am

Bruce,
Whats up with you posting pictures of yourself hitchhiking on Mike's thread :? :P

Good read Mike :D I do appreciate my set of "Golden Keys" in the BMX community and am glad I can contribute. Even if I give you a hard time (all in good fun) I appreciate all of your efforts and contributions to BMX and the facilities. You have a HUGE heart and a true love of the sport which I do not see very often. I am also glad to call you a friend.

Steve

Return to “UtahBMX”