Rad Canyon Indoor #3 Build Assistance

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Re: Rad Canyon Indoor #3 Build Assistance

Postby sspencer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for everyone's kind words. Mike also noted some valid items that everyone needs to consider about turns being obstacles and factoring in your equipment and set up. There a lot of things to consider in racing and proper technique and bike set up are as crucial as strenght and power.

I also tried to remind everyone at the Davis County races that we just came off of the sickest paved turns in the world at Rad Canyon outdoor. Everyone who raced on them became use to sticking and carving but as soon as they got back onto a dirt turn they had to reevaluate speed, braking, technique, body placement, tire configuration, air pressure, etc. Little things can make a big difference. Back during the early days of BMX we had flat or off-camber turns which were far more difficult to ride and race than the banked sweeper turns we have now.

I am not trying to make any excuses but rather trying to point out that there are a lot of components to racing and if you are having trouble with one then consider it a challenge to learn from it and to improve your knowledge and racing skills. Yes, several people did slide out in the sweeper turn at Davis County but there were more who never did fall. There is an old saying that applies to a lot of different situations but it basically states "If you arent falling, you arent learning". I am not saying you need to fall down to learn but making mistakes is all part of learning and helps you progress in your racing if you choose to challenge yourself and improve to the next level.

Thanks again for everyone's support of racing in Utah and making it the biggest and funnest program in the country.

See you this weekend,
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Todd S.
Intense

Postby Todd S. » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Yes, several people did slide out in the sweeper turn at Davis County but there were more who never did fall. There is an old saying that applies to a lot of different situations but it basically states "If you arent falling, you arent learning".

Chantz crashed 5 times the first weekend at Davis, and we did learn from that. He didn't crash once on the second weekend. Don't hold it against me if I don't share the changes we made, 8) but with the 15X class any edge I can get is needed. I wasn't at all complaining about the turn just simply thinking out loud. I actually like the sweeper on the indoor tracks. There is always the chance for some excitement in that section. See everyone this weekend at the track.

Extreme Team Coach
GHP

Postby Extreme Team Coach » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Steve,
Brother you know I think your the CATS MEOW of track building and you know I more than value your thoughts. And I thank you for all of you hard work! I just think it would be cool to see some thing different for a change. I know space and time do limit you on things 4 sure. But shorter straights longer straights cross overs up side downs who cares its only for the weekend and then you can do some thing else the next ? A very wise man (YOU) once told me if you want the boys to be good riders and fast then take them to as many different style tracks as you can. It would be cool to get some of that at home!(not to mention cost help full :lol: :lol: ) I know YOUR THE MAN and I know you do what you can but maybe one of these days you will walk on the crazy side and build some thing freaky for us?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: Besides some times we need to practice riding way rough tracks and track with out "flow" Because as we travel coast to coast and all over canada alot of them do not have the fine quality builder that we have in you. So once in a blue moon you can freak us out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 ABA NATIONAL #1 TROPHY TEAM

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:23 am

Steve, I have to tell you that when I walked in the door tonight and saw the track I was wondering where the dirt went as there were no obstacles on the last straight... then I rode it and realized you put that dirt to very good use on turn 1... it's banked! thank yoU! The little roller at the 30 ft. line was something interesting but added a new challenge. And the obstacles into and out of turn 1 added something new. A double and a triple on the second straight! Cool! And a rhythm section with good flow to help pick-up or carry speed into the final turn. That flat final straight turned out to be a frickin' drag strip! I saw many changes in finishing places down that that wouldn't have happened with obstacles there. This weekend's track is fast and has good flow. I like it!

A BIG FAT THANKS! to you and the crew who put this together!

Now come and kill it on those sweet new rides of yours...

Oh, watching Travis clear the triple--SWEET!

Again, I thank you!

Alex-Gren
Schwinn

Postby Alex-Gren » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:35 am

i love the indoor races.
They always seem to be more exciting for some reason.
probably because we all only see each other about twice a month except for nationals and its always a great time to see what people have been up to over the winter.
the crew at Rad Canyon always does such a terrific job at both the outdoor and indoor track. I've never seen any sort of major problems occur. Everyone out here is so caring for each other and I love the positive environment I come to every race.
I'm absolutely stoked that utah has so much to offer in the BMX world. I never realized how popular of a sport BMX is in Utah until I really started getting into and it feels so great to be a part of it and experience all the amazing things BMX has to offer.
I miss the pro sections though! :(

Anyways, I just thought I'd get my 2-cents in. See ya'll at the skateparks and races! :)

Return to “UtahBMX”