Cities in Utah that should have an ABA BMX track.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JAlvey
GT

Re: Cities in Utah that should have an ABA BMX track.

Postby JAlvey » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:33 pm

The Ogden track is still very possible. Last I heard, Ogden City was very enthusiastic about it and had land set aside for it. It's mostly a matter of getting enough support and help. If anyone is interested in helping to make it happen, contact Dan Patterson, he's been putting in a lot of ground work on it.

Maybe we can get some of that Obama Stimulus money for it. Anyone who knows Dan can see the irony in that.

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Right quick. The Ogden track project is still in the works. Without going into much detail, we are basically waiting on other people to do their thing so we can dove tail off that. The proposed Weber Co. landfill site is still a possiblility, but given the potential problems we may have due to the proximity of that neighborhood and having to deal with two government entities to make things happen, it is being considered as a fall back option. We are currently working another landfill site that has been donated to the city off 20th street only a mile or so away from from the above. This site will have no neighbor problems, but will cost more to make happen due to lack of existing infrastructure.

The city is 100% behind having a BMX track in Ogden, but like everything else these days, there is no money to throw at it. The use of the land off 20th street now depends on whether or not the group trying to put together a Woodward style "Action Sports Park" in an area immediately adjacent to the landfill. If they can make their thing happen, the land would be locked up and we should have no problem going in there with a track and run in partnership with the "Action Sports Park." So we are kind of in a holding pattern now waiting for something to happen.

We have looked at several different sites, including the old 4th street site. Many of you can remember what happened with that place back in the day with the complaining neighbors and the Baseball/Softball people. Not to mention the access to that location being way off the beaten path. Most of what was there is still there. We want something that could potentially support big races. A park in the middle of a city neighborhood would obviously not be good for that.

We are working on it folks, but this is a tough nut to crack. Time will tell!
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am

Great thread guys,

When I lived in Logan, I met with the Fun Park owner and asked what it would take to get the track up and running. I guess the guy had a bad experience with the last TO. I don't know the details, but wasn't happy about how it all ended. He told me, "Come up with 4% and buy into my whole business and you can build and run the track on the Fun Park Land." 4% was $50K for anyone interested. Not out of reach, but I thought it was a strange way to do it. Still in Logan, a couple months later, Steve Spencer came and met with the city council and started the process of building a "bike complex". The plan included a skate park, dirt jumps, mtn. bike trails and a bmx track. They put it in the 5 year plan. That was 5 years ago. Steve- did you ever hear back from Logan about any of that?

About building an ABA track here in St. George. It's been on my mind. I think it would thrive.I'm looking at buying a house here, so I may have the roots grown to enough to consider building a track. There is no reason why racing couldn't happen here 10-11 months out of the year.

The Vegas population doesn't support the Virgin track. The NBL is dying out west- simple fact. (Rad had more motos at an indoor than NBL has at a national here out west). The Virgin track has races 1 or 2 times a month and practice on Wednesday nights- Hardly the structure to produce any national caliber of riders from this area. With limited hours of track time a week, it makes it tough to build a program or thrive as a racer.

I know there are contracts with the city of Virgin and the NBL and on and on... but an ABA track in St. George seems like a great idea. I'm unclear about the process if the ABA was to attempt to acquire Virgin BMX ((can of worms)...assuming that would even be considered). The other option is to just let the NBL and such to do their thing in Virgin (settling for 11 motos a race-two races a month) and just build an ABA track in St. George.

Just my $.02 worth....(That's 4 percent of somethin')

Jason Stout
"Push to the line!"

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:30 am

JasonStout wrote:
Just my $.02 worth....(That's 4 percent of somethin')

Jason Stout

Great thoughts, Stout... like when we talked down there after racing.

And that $.02 is about 4% of my total net worth! Huzzah!

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 am

Does that include all your assets? (Remember when you fell on your assets on the last jump here in Virgin?) btw- i crashed going about 30mph jumping a cliff last Tuesday because of a 40 mph wind gust off the fingers of death on the Bear Claw Poppy trail. Can you say sore ribs...and Lucky to be alive! :). Remember kids- it's dangerous to jump (or manual) in the wind! JS
"Push to the line!"

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:41 pm

JasonStout wrote:Does that include all your assets? (Remember when you fell on your assets on the last jump here in Virgin?) btw- i crashed going about 30mph jumping a cliff last Tuesday because of a 40 mph wind gust off the fingers of death on the Bear Claw Poppy trail. Can you say sore ribs...and Lucky to be alive! :). Remember kids- it's dangerous to jump (or manual) in the wind! JS

Ouch for our assets!

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:47 pm

I was thinking ( OMG He thinks ) If you could build a track at the fair grounds . It is not that far from St.gorge or Hurricane , also if you could see if you can get a race there when the fair is going on that would be great .

My - 2% - dollars

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:52 pm

mhp800 wrote:I was thinking ( OMG He thinks ) If you could build a track at the fair grounds . It is not that far from St.gorge or Hurricane , also if you could see if you can get a race there when the fair is going on that would be great .

My - 2% - dollars

On our way back towards St. G. I got thinking that would be a pretty good place... but if it was closer to or in St. George, could it be more of a draw for Mesquite and Vegas-folk?

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:47 pm

b2 wrote:
mhp800 wrote:I was thinking ( OMG He thinks ) If you could build a track at the fair grounds . It is not that far from St.gorge or Hurricane , also if you could see if you can get a race there when the fair is going on that would be great .

My - 2% - dollars

On our way back towards St. G. I got thinking that would be a pretty good place... but if it was closer to or in St. George, could it be more of a draw for Mesquite and Vegas-folk?

The problem with St.gorge is there is really no land . The fair grounds are only 10 miles if that away from St.gorge .

Return to “UtahBMX”