Big news out of Rock Springs. "Gatezilla"

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Big news out of Rock Springs. "Gatezilla"

Postby bnd » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:27 am

From Billy Mahaffey -

"I just got home from building the track for this weekend and I have to say I think everyone is going to be surprised by not just the track but the gate.The Events Complex and Chris Lebrech (mostly Chris) have built us a VERY impressive new starting gate.It is 10 foot tall,has a walk way leading up to it,hydraulic legs that lift the gate up to that height and a runway coming out of the gate.So far they have spent about $25,000 not counting man hours.The hydraulics have not been installed yet but will be by the next race.If you see Chris this weekend be sure to tell him what a good job he has done,he has been working countless hours on this thing.Could you forward this email to some of the Utah riders hopefully that will bring more riders out this weekend."

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Re: Big news out of Rock Springs. "Gatezilla"

Postby Diesel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:58 am

Weather not looking good for the drive on Saturday. I've got to work so Robby will try to get there for Saturday race and I'll be coming in behind him Saturday evening. May have to pull the plug if it's really bad. Gate sounds real interesting!!!
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:46 am

Pics!

More later. The track looks pretty awesome too. Look like Beau is getting darn good at track building.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:58 am

Wow That starting hill and gate looks great !!! Any results on the race ?

Thanks BILL

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks to Dan Patterson fo rmore pics. For some reason I was only able to upload 1 pic from my e-mail. I'll look to see why I can't get them all up tomorrow. The gate looks awesome & the reviews are steller from the riders who have ridden it. Maybe RC will have to build a 25ft'er for next year. 8)

b.

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:41 am

that gate does look sick!

I think we need to figure out how Rad can come off of the upper deck. We could have the start gate up where registration currently is and build some kind of ramp coming down to the lower level.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:15 am

Big props to the Rock Springs crew for adding a new dimension to their indoor program! That is awesome that they have the outside support from someone who is willing to spend that kind of money which is pretty nonexistent anywhere else in the country. I look forward to trying to make it up to RS to check out "Gatezilla" and to hang out with the good folks up there.

I dont want to come across negatively but there are some factors that should be considered when adding new elements to a track. The heighth of a starting gate contributes to the amount of speed that can be generated down the first straight (think of outdoor Rad Canyon) and the track needs to be able to handle the increased speed. Most indoor facilities dont have a ton of room or dirt so when the speeds are increased it could create dangerous situations with the lack of track and/or obstacles to absorb the high speeds. We need to be mindful of all of the new riders who are not as skilled as others who have had ample track time. In order to keep the newbies coming out to the races the tracks need to be a little tamer so not to scare them off.

I just wanted to drop a little knowledge on everyone as it is so easy to overlook some of the pieces that go into running a safe, fun and efficient running track.

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 pm

Yep, I think Steve is right about the speed thing. To the RS crews credit, they had the first straight slowed down pretty good going into the first turn. They had a fairly large group of 5 & under Ns and they didn't have any problem at all. The down angle of the ramp looks steeper in the pictures than it really is. I ran the gate on Sunday and didn't see any problems! That's my 2 cents.

Dan
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

mike kelley
Huffy

Postby mike kelley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:08 pm

This is the best gate and starting hill I have ever came out of. Rock Springs crew did it right. There were very few crashes on the first straight. We had fast, slow ,new and old riders all loved it. The biggest problem with that gate is it is not at Rad. You can set this gate at any height, I feel they set it up perfect. Best thing since paved turns. It is not the staring hill it is the jumps, Rad outdoor was way more scary than this, good job WY it was a great weekend, Thanks Mike Kelley

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:50 pm

That is great that the gate worked so well. Again, I am excited that Rock Springs has the support and the funding to add a new dimension to their indoor facility. We need more people and programs, like Rock Springs, who are able to contribute at such substantial levels. My comments were merely opinions/observations based on my 29 years on BMX racing and 15 years of track building.... but what do I know :P

Keep up the great work Rock Springs! I hope to be able to come up one of these weekends to partake of your always welcoming hospitality.

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle

UTAH BMX Charter Member

Return to “UtahBMX”