Cottonwood skatepark. Calling all bikers.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Cottonwood skatepark. Calling all bikers.

Postby bnd » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 pm

More drama at the Cottonwood skatepark I'd like to share with you plus a favor to ask.
I showed up last Sunday with the family in tow, yes, d was riding her cruiser(!), I pulled up to a big sign saying something to the tune of the park was closed because of littering & other disrepectful things. Gate was locked. Needless to say I was pissed! Monday, I got ahold of the rec manager, Dan, who BTW is a very cool dude & got the low-down. Sounds to me the skaters partied altittle too hard Friday & Saturday & guess who payed the price? Yep, you got it, the BMX crowd that comes every Sunday morning.
I explained to him that they punished the wrong people & something needed to be done about it. If it happens again, have the guard let US in then close the park back up after our time is up. I told him we usually pick up all the trash too when we get there as I did last Sunday when it should be the guards job to do it. He agreed. He also said he would look into maybe doing what I suggested & talk to him coworkers about it. I almost asked him to flow me a key personally but I highly doubt that would happen. I called Curtis just as he was walking out of his door Sunday morning & he also made some calls/e-mails but I don't know what became of that.

I invited Dan to see for himself what a standup crowd we have there on Sunday mornings & he said he would try to do that either this weekend or next. So, the weather is supposed to be perfect on Sunday if not on the cooler side Sunday morning. Come on out & enjoy this weather while we have it & lets show these guy/guys that the BMXers are what I described.
I usually always get there first & I made a "BMX only Sunday morning" sign I will put up so hopefully others will get the hint.
See you all there around 9am.

Thanks,
Bruce
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

ZDM
Huffy

Re: Cottonwood skatepark. Calling all bikers.

Postby ZDM » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:27 am

That is too bad that some kids don't realize how good they have it with the skateparks that are available for use.
My daughter and I generally go to the Sandy skatepark. If I can get her butt out of bed early on Sunday, I'd like to come up and show my support

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:02 pm

We had a good time yet again at the skatepark today. The Dirt Diva even made an appearance on a bike. :shock: Can this, will this lead to an end to her retirement? We shall see in the meantime I'll see you all next Sunday around 9am.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 pm

The wife & I will be there again around 9am Sunday morning. Try to make it.

b.

B.Smith
NEXT

Postby B.Smith » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey Bruce, what time does the bike session end? I would like to hit sandy for a bit before coming up to Cottonwood...

B.smith

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Location and Driving DirectionsAddress: 2415 East Bengal Blvd

The Richard L. Guthrie Skate Park is located at 2415 East Begal Blvd or just southwest of the Cottonwood Heights Recreation Center.

FALL Skate Park Hours*
Skateboards and Rollerblades
Monday and Thursday: 3:30pm-6pm
Tues, Wed, Fri: 3:30pm-9pm
Saturday: 7am-9pm
Sunday: 11am-9pm

Elementary Age Children Only
Friday: 1:30pm-3:30pm

BMX Only
Monday and Thursday: 6pm-9pm
Sunday: 7am-11am

*The skate park may be closed outside these scheduled hours due to ice, snow, bad weather, vandalism or if excessive litter is found in the park. Please call the office at 943.3190 to verify hours before arrival.

b.

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Nice ridin with everyone on sunday. I will definitely be joining in on more of that action. Not this upcoming weekend, as I will be drinking starbucks and cheering my wife on as she runs the st. george marathon (CRAZY!). J-stout, you gonna be around that town this weekend? PM me your number, Ill buy you a hot chocolate.
DO WORK SON!

ZDM
Huffy

Postby ZDM » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 pm

Ugh! Having a 10 year old makes getting to some things tough--I told her we were not going to the skatepark until her chores were done. Needless to say, we didn't make the trip to Sandy until 2:00. That is where I found out the Ruckus is a little long, and therefore front end heavy. If I wasn't such an old school/midschool junkie I could have just bought a complete bike that fits and been done with it.
I guess on the bright side, I am into this complete bike what a full chromoly new ride frame only would have cost me.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:49 am

Yeah, Sunday morning was fun. It looks like the sign I made works. Alot of skaters pulled up in cars, saw the sign & left. I would highly suggest if you go on Sunday mornings, make one & hang it up at the gate. Depending on the weather this weekend (it's supposed to get cooler) we will be there.

Here are some pics from the session.

Ian.

Jordan Smith.

Danita.

Heather.

Brandon Smith.

b.

ZDM
Huffy

Postby ZDM » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Thanks for sharing!

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Cottonwood Heights SP is always a great time. Bruce - what did you sign say? Just "BMX Only!" os something like that? Did you print it or write it?

We had to miss the Sunday morning BMX services at Guthrie SP because we attended an alternate MTB church at Sundance. Bennett and I went and did lift-served downhill with Mike, Cody, and Mitch and prayed in the mountains. It was awesome, but we will be at Guthrie this Sunday.

I know,I know, Jack BMXers, yeah yeah.
~Curtis

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:42 am

It's about 2x2 with bailing wire on the top corners so I can hang it. It says, "BMX Only, Sunday mornings."

I'm going to make the letters bolder so you can see it a mile away & maybe trim it out with some orange marking paint.

I thought about this saying, "Curtis Newkirk will beat down any skater found here before 11am. Sunday mornings". You now most of those guys are scared of you right? Your known as the "crazy, old guy". That's what Iv'e been told.

b.

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:18 pm

bnd wrote:I thought about this saying, "Curtis Newkirk will beat down any skater found here before 11am. Sunday mornings". You now most of those guys are scared of you right? Your known as the "crazy, old guy". That's what Iv'e been told.

LOL. Crazy old guy, right?

I think there are a few of us that fit in that category. Yourself included :D :mrgreen:

Return to “UtahBMX”