BMX Olympic coverage...Totally AWESOME!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

BLAAG
Liberty BMX Team Commander

BMX Olympic coverage...Totally AWESOME!

Postby BLAAG » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:28 am

Did anybody else put their life on hold for 4 hours only to get hosed by the networks? I watched NBC for 4 straight hours, only to see coverage of events that happened 24 hrs ago. What happened to the "live" BMX coverage? Oh, that's right...it came on during the "Late Night Coverage". How are these time slots suppose to help promote our sport?

Hopefully they show the medal lap during "prime time coverage".
Last edited by BLAAG on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAlvey
GT

Re: BMX Olympic coverage...RRRRRRRRRRRight!

Postby JAlvey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 am

Although not primetime, the late night coverage was really good, and they kept running a teaser that the semi's and main's will be on the primetime show.

So far as coverage for the sport goes, NBC has been averaging about 20 million viewers on primetime and about 4 million on the latenight. They also estimated that about 55-65 million people worldwide watched the quarter's. I think that's got to break some kind of exposure record for BMX, and maybe evening cycling in general. Also, a lot of people use msn.com as their homepage for their internet browser, and Mike Day/BMX are on the top of the front page right now. Newkirk or Gallo would know better than me, but that site has to get a lot of hits per hour.

The real question is: Stromsbergs, Day, or Graves?

D Dale
GT

Postby D Dale » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:11 am

I thought it was awesome. I wished we could have listened to Redman announce instead of the commentators but they did a good job. When they brought out the back board for Kyle Bennett I could have cried. When he got up I was clapping as if I were there. What a true champion. I can't wait til tonight.

My money is on Mikey Day for the gold. Graves and Stromsberg will make it a great race but Day has that track down. I predict gold for the USA and Mikey Day!!!

Darla

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:55 am

I am in Mexico City and they only showed the time trials as filler between Track and Field heats. I can not wait to get home and hear the comentary in english!! GO USA
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:39 am

I gotta agree that the coverage was awesome, but I also knew it would be late. I really can't blame NBC for putting time trials and quarters on late at night. In fact, the quarters were almost live as it was happening. I am also very happy that they did not show time trials. That would have confused many people about the sport as it is only one rider on the track at a time.

Here is a link if you missed it: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player ... de=sportcy

Last night's coverage did not start until about 11:50PM MST, and did not end until after 1:00AM. Haymond and I kept calling each other between each round, and we were both so pumped we could barely stand it. Truly some awesome racing and I hope KB is going to make it. Day just had it dialed and Strombergs is an animal. KB and Robinson looked good at times, and not so at others, but this is about the toughest track I have ever seen and very inside gate dependent. It will be exciting to see how this develops. This is going to bring in a new day for our sport.

Tonights coverage should be live and during prime time, but rain may be a threat. If it does rain expect the semis and finals to be tomorrow.

Darla - if you listen carefully you can hear Redman in the background!
~Curtis

Skeleton
Huffy

Postby Skeleton » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am

I have to agree it was pretty awesome watching the coverage. Tyler tried so hard to stay awake to watch but did not make it. I have to agree with Darla it would have been much better had we been listening to the voice we know!! The clip they showed last night indicated that the BMX coverage for today started at 9 MST.
The Baker's

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:26 pm

Pretty exciting times for us BMXer's as we are watching sports history in the making.

My phone and my email was blowing up last night as I was getting real-time updates from all of my buddies and industry associates. What got me really excited was when my buddy Steve Blick from Oakley called me and I could hear Redman announcing yelling out "Afro Bob in the mix!"

Based on the Beijing schedule and the time difference here is the expected start times plus figure in a little time delay for tv.

8:00pm Women's BMX Semifinals
8:08pm Men's BMX Semifinals
8:30pm Women's BMX Final
8:40pm Men's BMX Final

Be sure to cheer loud for our USA team but cheer a little louder for Mike and Jill :wink:

Packing for Australia tomorrow,
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:57 pm

I've been watching msnbc and they are pumped about the bmx coverage scheduled for tonight!

I for on am skipping practice at the virgin track tonight to stay home and watch this historic event!

Another one of the reasons why BMX is such a great sport is these Olympians are at all the national races! The access to these athletes in our sport is awesome. I've taken a few gates with DR, Bennett, and Day over the years. I'm so excited to see them represent themselves, our great country, and the sport of BMX on this amazing world stage.

...this just in. Baseball is out, and the are pointing at BMX and sand volleyball as sports that shouldn't be Olympic sports....Later boring baseball!!

..they followed up the story with another rocking bmx promo with several minutes of commentary on the sport...Sweet!

JS
"Push to the line!"

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:04 pm

"The IOC has hit a homerun by adding this sport to the Olympics!"

msnbc commentators

JS
"Push to the line!"

BLAAG
Liberty BMX Team Commander

Postby BLAAG » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:12 pm

Ok...I'm working mids (2300-0700) and had to record the "Late Night Coverage" and I must say....TOTALLY AWESOME COVERAGE! I was a bit bummed that I had to watch it after I already knew the results but tonight should be GREAT! Mikey Day has that track dialed and I don't see anybody beating him. I hope KB can make it.

GO USA!

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Re: BMX Olympic coverage...Totally AWESOME!

Postby sspencer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Mike is the most technically sound on the track, that is for sure. The thing he has to watch for is the Latvian's Arturs Mattison and Maris Strombergs. These guys are incredibly strong out of the gate and may try to shut Mike down knowing that he can out ride them. Mike will have to continue to win with the best lap times to keep securing his gate #1 reservation. From there he can control his race a little better. Pay close attention how Mike pulls over the first and second jumps and accelerates.... amazing!

Go USA!
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle

UTAH BMX Charter Member

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Mike King just passed the word to Arielle that everything is postponed due to rain -- possibly all day.

L
You can't always change your destination overnight but you can change your direction.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 pm

They just announced that it's postponed to tomorrow due to the rain. That's good for Bennett. Does anyone know what time? Is there anyway to set up a tv at Rad tomorrow night?

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:00 pm

JAlvey wrote:They just announced that it's postponed to tomorrow due to the rain. That's good for Bennett. Does anyone know what time? Is there anyway to set up a tv at Rad tomorrow night?

Someone's GOT to have an RV with a dish on it...

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:36 am

KSL broadcasts over the air digital, so even good old fashioned rabbit ears would work

Return to “UtahBMX”