It was great to meet the Alveys

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

tntosborn
Huffy

It was great to meet the Alveys

Postby tntosborn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Thanks to all those who came over to Idaho this weekend. I got a chance to meet the Alvey families and race with John and had a great time. You all represented Utah well. Justin get that leg healed up quickly and get back out riding soon. I didn't see the wreck but anything that breaks bones is not what us old guys need. Just know that we are praying for a speedy recovery so you can get back out there. John, Crystal, Justin, Ethan and Brighton it was great to meet all of you and I know some of us will be your way soon for your big weekend and others for your National.
See you all later-
Todd

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:04 pm

It was good to meet you too. We had a ton of fun up until I decided to sample some of that Idaho soil.

I had 3 hours of surgery this am to put the leg back together. 9 screws and a few plates later, things came back together. I'll be out for at least 4-6 months.

Thanks to everyone up there for their help!

bmx_tyler
Schwinn

Postby bmx_tyler » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:53 am

I am so sorry to hear that. I wish the best and WE WILL see you sooner then you think. Get well
Tyler Edvalson

tntosborn
Huffy

Postby tntosborn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:45 pm

I'm glad everything is back together. Just be sure to follow the advice I'm sure you give your patients to not push it to hard and let it heal :wink: Then you can get back to BMX strong and that crazy Downhill career of yours :shock:
Todd

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:21 pm

WTH!?

What happened to you Justin? Details please.

b.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:31 pm

I'll have to figure out how to get my xrays posted on here.

To make a long story short, I was jumping the last double-table on the first straight in practice at the Mountain Home track on saturday afternoon. The wind caught my bike, blowing it left to right and nose down into the landing. I went over the bars like you normally would in such a crash, but my bike was on about a 45 degree angle when the front wheel hit, so my body went over the bike and my right foot went under the bike, hitting my right ankle on the downtube as I went by. I landed head a shoulder first, but jumped right up, thinking I was glad not to have a head injury (anyone out there who isn't riding in a DOT helmet needs to go get one) and surprised/releived that my shoulder seemed ok. Then I looked down to see my foot heading off in the wrong direction and looking like there were a couple of tennis balls under the skin.

So next we went to the Elmore Medical Center/hardware store/Pizza hut in Mountain home. They did some xrays and straigtened things out so that the bloodflow was ok and transferred me down to Ogden. There, they did a repair with a few plates, a pin and 9 screws to put the bones/ ligaments back where they all belong.

I have to stay in bed with it elevated for a week to make sure the artery doesn't block off, then no weight bearing x 6 weeks. Then a cast/no riding for another 6 weeks. I'm hoping to be riding BMX again by indoor season.

The morals of the story: 1) don't jump in 40mph cross winds 2) get a DOT moto helmet 3) if you travel out of town, make sure other adults are there to drive you and your kids home (or don't race). and 4) daytime TV sucks.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:14 pm

So sorry to hear this Justin, it makes me sick just thinking about it.

Last summer I went out to DP for practice & the wind was gusty. I decided to hit the big dubs on the last straight. As soon as I hit the takeoff at full throttle a gust of wind came up & it was like somebody yanked my front end right out form under me. I landed that way & face planted. I was very lucky to walk away from that one.
Even the slightest wind now, I won't ride or race.

Take care of yourself & feel free to spend some of your free time contributing to the site! I would love to see some of those old pics & vids you have posted here.

Bruce

wannaBMXer
NEXT

Postby wannaBMXer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Justin,

We were very sory to hear about your wreck, I'm sure you will recover fine and be back giving us all run for our money in the old guy cruiser class.
Hope to see you out at the track soon ....

B.Smith

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:28 am

and that is EXACTLY why I dont jump!

Haha. OK, not exactly why I dont jump....but whatever.

Sorry to hear that you got broken, Justin. Keep us posted on your recovery. And as Bruce said, spend some time getting some old pics & vids posted. Love to see'em.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Return to “UtahBMX”