new and not so new thoughts on BMX promotion

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

new and not so new thoughts on BMX promotion

Postby greg » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:09 am

OK, so it's getting to the end of the season, and I am starting to think of next year already. What do we need to do to continue to grow BMX racing here in Utah? What programs will improve the experience out at Rad Canyon?

Here are some random thoughts on what I'm thinking of. Some may be do-able and some not so do-able, some long term, some short term, and some you might think I'm out of my head.

* love to see some type of league formed w/ coaches, trainers, etc. This could greatly enhance the feeling of belonging, especially with new riders and parents.

* invite school bands, scouts, military, etc to do Honor Guard and National Anthem duties at races.

* institute a pre-paid plan that can be used by racers to pay for x-number of races and practices at a discount.

* institute a program to allow racers to do a fund raiser/get sponsors to pay for racing season. A whole season of BMX racing and all practices at Rad Canyon, including doubles and triples but excluding nationals, cost approx. $400. Why not do something to help alleviate some of the costs involved with racing? Example would be to allow racers to take an envelope similar to the Race For Life envelope and take it around to get donations to use towards their racing (this ties into pre-paid racing).

* Team up with some other sports (such as Grizzlees, Jazz, Real, Bees, Blaze, etc) to do cross-promotional things. Example of this would be the ABA and tracks in Texas teaming with the Texas Rangers to have Bubba Harris do the first pitch at a game. Why not get with the Bees and have Todd Parry or Arrielle (when she's in town) throw in the first pitch?

* Get a top local business person, politician, or famous someone to do a ceremonial first gate drop at a larger race. Ties in great with a National Guard Honor Guard flag posting. Make the race feel like a big deal, and it just might turn into a big deal. Do this at an INDOOR Redline cup qualifier, where the building is packed, the air is electric, you have a loud patriotic band with full military Honor Guard to post the colors, then ..... lights dim in the bleachers, leaving only the track eluminated.....AC/DC or some other such music comes up to loudness and strobe lights flash across the audience......the announcer (Michael Buffer, of course) comes on, "Let's get ready to RUMBLE....!!!!"....."on the gate, in lane 1, we have Little Jimmy....weighing in at 45 lbs, wearing red trimed in black. Gate 2 has big bad Samantha, weighing in at a svelt 36 and a half lbs., wearing pink trimmed with black and white....etc......Officiating our first gate drop tonight will be Carlos Boozer." Carlos walks along the starting gate asking each rider if they are ready, each signifies such with a nod of the head....Boozer gets to his position at the control box, and lets the cadence rip. The gate drops.........out speeds the riders.....our own mic spitter CurtisN. comes on, "here we go with moto 1, 5 and under novies...the future pros of BMX.....lets give'm a hand....."

* get into the SL parks and Rec system. i.e. Jr. Jazz, soccer, swimming, etc, can all be signed up and registered at the SL county rec centers. The main goal of this would be the access to the school systems that the county Parks and Rec enjoys. All of the school systems that I contacted restrict the distribution of flyers in schools to government run programs (it is debatable whether they adhere to this policy, but that is the policy none the less). I think the biggest boon to Rad Canyon's program would be getting flyers into the public school system on a regular basis. This alone would be a major accomplishment.

* have at least two major pro races on the OPTS track. One being in conjunction with the ABA national, the other a pro only race using sponsor money to attract top level men and women pros. Maybe have the race in conjunction with a dirt jump comp, maybe build a pump track or something, maybe have a couple of bands....make it into a jam session type event with multiple competitions and let the pros dictate what format they want to race. Maybe get some freestyle MX into the mix...whatever it takes to get the money and media exposure to make the event happen.

* capital improvements to Rad Canyon facility. Paving some of the gravel and dirt areas ( I know that not all of the gravel area can be paved, but there is room for improvement). Plant trees and shrubs to improve the asthetics of the facility. Pave turns on the track (I'm not real keen on this, but it may be the only way to keep the turns from disintegrating during the nationals and ensuring that Rad Canyon remains a perennial stop on the ABA national circuit).

* look to the future and show that Rad Canyon is on the cutting edge. If we want to continue to grow, then we must find a way to electronically do sign ups, score races, post motos, and display race info.

* continue to support and improve the on-line resources that we have in Utah. Continue to advance the video and photo efforts. This may include scafolding or platform for video and photo taking, wireless internet access at the track, live and recorded feeds to the internet.

* endlessly strive to ensure that BMX racing is not left out of the numerous references to biking in Utah. Example...no mention of BMX athletes in an article about local Olympic hopefulls, no mention of Race for Life in the Leukemia/lymphoma society's pamphlet listing event schedules, ensure on-line, TV, radio, and print media get it covered and get it right with the use of press releases, emails, and phone calls.

* get an exchange program going with out of town/state tracks. They bus their riders in for big races, and we bus our riders to them for their big races. I wouldn't mind doing this for some Tooele races if it meant higher moto counts out there.

OK, that's enough out of me for now. I have more, but I'd like to hear what others have to say. Anybody read this far into the post?? Anybody have any ideas? What would you do to make the racing experience better? How can Utah BMX racing grow? How do we get to 50 moto local races next year?
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

joeynsophia
Intense

New/young rider perspective

Postby joeynsophia » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:14 am

I like alot of the above ideas but also know that they will take alot of work and added resources to accomplish. It has been pointed out in previous strings the countless hours the "regular" volunteers put in to support the track and the sport. It would be unrealistic and unfair to those who already spend most of their free time supporting the program to do more, but also understand that it is their expertise that is needed to accomplish the goals.

My family, being fairly new to the sport (about a year) have struggled with finding our "niche" when it comes to volunteering. I would hope and assume that their are others out there that are willing to put time in as well if they knew what was needed and had some guidance on what needed to be done.

So here are my thoughts....

Organize commitees for each task/initiative that needs to be addressed ie:
Registration
Track builds and maintenance
Marketing
New rider orientation-racing, equipment, maintenance
Clinics, coaching
administration
etc.....

Appoint one of our seasoned volunteers for each of these to organize and recruit the volunteers throughout the year. (This may already be in place, but it is not clear as to whom to work with)

We have an opportunity to set up some booths/tables and solicate volunteers for these commitees during the indoor season when we are in close quarters and can have some interpersonal conversations with our participants. During this time we can capture the interested parties names, phone numbers, email addresses and what areas they are interested in helping with. This list then can be used by the commitee chairs to call on people directly when help is needed and not rely on broadcast messages on the website or random requests over the PA system during the races and practices.

I know my family and I could do more (and would like to) to support the program and help relieve some of the other volunteers that are counted on so highly. We and others may not be able to work during every race or practice but could give our time during other parts of the week.

We may just find that we have an army of people that would like to help out and then could realize some of the improvements we all hope to see. That being said, we have the best program around because of our regular volunteers! Thank you to all of you!!!!!

Just my 2 cents....

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:15 pm

I think a track up North will help. Not sure if the two weekends will be enough, but it will help. I see a ton of kids up here in Davis/Weber County that are interested in BMX but think that So Jordan is too far to drive. Those that do go to Rad Canyon a few times, usually stick with it despite the drive. I think a track up here will recruit in a lot of new riders to the sport, and that once they see how fun it is, the trip to So Jordan won't be such a big deal.

Will Rad Canyon have any sort of booth at the UCI race/Dew Tour?

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:06 pm

* continue to support and improve the on-line resources that we have in Utah. Continue to advance the video and photo efforts. This may include scafolding or platform for video and photo taking, wireless internet access at the track, live and recorded feeds to the internet.

Oh yeah! This one is VERY near and dear to my heart. I will do everything in my power to own this one, unless in reading between the lines you are really saying "Uh.. Jason kinda sucks, anyone else want to step up?" ;-)

I really wanted to try and bring wi-fi to the track this year, but my work schedule never seems to let up. I'm hoping we can maybe get some tie in with Xmission since we are a County facility.

I'll see what I can put together.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

kwelsh
NEXT

Postby kwelsh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:54 pm

I agree with putting together more races up North. I really think you would see a lot of new members if there was another track between
Kaysville and North Ogden. Once you get started, your more willing to travel.

greg

Postby greg » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:31 am

joeynsophia - great thoughts. I agree that the volunteers are taxed quite abit already. BUT, that just shows that we must continue to bring in new blood and to work smarter. I by no means intended to place more burden on anyone else, rather place more upon myself. Granted, I will need help to accomplish some of these things now and in the future. I do like the idea of making the head of each area more visible to the masses, and to actively recruit new volunteers into each one.

JAlvey & kwelsh - excellent points on adding tracks to the area. It sucked to see some of the tracks close in the past couple of years. While outside of Rad Canyons scope of business, it definately does fall on the BMX community as a whole to get more tracks going and to sustain them. I think it is very feasable to have a track in the north and south. Both areas have the population to sustain a track on its own, and definately will add to moto counts statewide during bigger races and in the winter series.

JAlvey - unfortunately, Rad will not have a booth at the Dew Tour. I will be working the Pacific (GT, Mongoose, etc) booth, along with a few other racers. I hope that I can have some kind of display and pass out flyers while I'm there, but I'm not too sure how that will all play out yet.

Gallo - You most definately do a GREAT job on the web, video, and photos. I just want to help in any way I can to continue to make it a better, more visible product. As I've stated in the past, I think it helps tremendously to live stream our races. It keeps Rad Canyon out there in the minds of the ABA and fellow BMXers worldwide as THE premier track in the US. The Utah BMX scene has been put on the map by constantly putting our product out there to be seen and heard. So lets just keep pushing it with bigger and better things. Let me know if you need any help to get it done.

I guess what I'd like to do is decide as a community what seems to be a logical approach to growing the sport locally and to improve the existing product. Then, get a few volunteers together and decide a course of action to accomplish what the community wants, put together a proposal, and then present it to Ron Melton and the board.

shifter
Intense

Re: new and not so new thoughts on BMX promotion

Postby shifter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:40 am

greg wrote:What do we need to do to continue to grow BMX racing here in Utah? What programs will improve the experience out at Rad Canyon?

You have a lot of options in your initial post. I’m going to start w/ the initial (2) questions as a combined question:

“What do we need to do to grow BMX racing @ RAD Canyon?”

Before “we” start talking marching bands, parades and F22 fly-bys, what does RAD have to offer right now? Honest question, not nit picking. From a newbie perspective w/ tons of time to ride, there is very little open practice time. I’m not talking about race day, rather days/afternoons I can come out and ride. If it cost dollars for the park to operate, that’s the reality of it. If there’s not enough rider demand to cover the cost to operate, that’s not a good reality and therefore something to avoid. Something must be done to entice the new rider to come out. Something more than what exists now (season permitting) would be a start. Can that be overcome??? I have no idea, but growing the sport will put demands on accessibility.

Even though RAD is close to me, I also agree that other tracks would be nice in order accommodate others perhaps not so close.

What you have to do is build and then entice them to come to it. Nobody’s going to see Guard color ceremonies other than those that already know RAD and rider there – you know what I mean.

Getting the word out costs $ - plain and simple. You have to get to kids and their parents (you know that) in a basic format. Pictures and perhaps video would helped if placed properly. A RAD site that was up-to-date and clear for idiots like me would help.

Can something be done w/ the skate parks around the valley in conjunction w/ SL Parks and Rec??? If the kids and parents see another related venue, that would draw some interest. That’s actually how I came to be interested… I went to watch my boy at a local cement pond and thought the pool stuff would be cool, but BMX is more closely related to what I do now. There’s a place for your fliers.

Something prepaid, even from a practice perspective would work. This is Utah - folk don't like parting w/ their $. Make it work for them. I pay about $0.88 a day to ride at the State OHV park. Why??? Because they make it easy and cheap when a guy rides a lot. I'm not suggesting RAD loose money. Rather offer value that creates a commitment on the rider's part i.e. I prepaid for the whole season, I’m gonna get my money out of it and in the end be ahead. RMR does the same thing w/ their moto track.

What about a discount @ partner bike shops? This may be in place already. From a business perspective, I’d rather deal in volume and repeat business if offered the opportunity to do so.

Anyway, not hacking on any of you, just a second set of eyes. BMX is cheap and something every parent wants – they’re kids staying active. There’s a way to do it, it’s gonna take some effort and some $.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:22 pm

A RAD site that was up-to-date and clear for idiots like me would help.

I thought I was doing pretty good on RAD's website, but I am definitely open to any and all suggestions to make it better!!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:31 pm

I just skimmed over the last few posts as I just got home from a tough day at work & am very tired. Maybe this pertains to or doesn't to a few thigns but.............

The skatepark up in Cottonwood Heights is open to BMX only on Sunday mornings till noon. I usually get there around 9am. to ride.

Deseret Peak out at Tooele is open all the time to ride & is free.

b.

crash
GT

Postby crash » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:00 pm

I think both web sites are very good. I can usually find any answers about upcoming races, photos, dates and times, etc.

The outside promotion is what is needed. News articles, advertising for events, promotions and demonstrations at fairs, etc. I think the county fair was good for exposure.

Another thing I noticed, and Ron is aware of and looking for suggestions to help, some new beginner riders have a tough time getting to know the flow of things. Smaller riders are often scared and have a tough time with the hill, mixing with faster riders, and even learning track rules.

Maybe we need to have an adopt a new rider program? Set some times for new and little riders only? I personally saw a couple of families leave one night who were a little unsure of how things go. It is not easy to watch your own kid and also help a new rider but without the new riders constantly coming in they wont have anyone to race in the future.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:27 pm

Maybe we need to have an adopt a new rider program? Set some times for new and little riders only? I personally saw a couple of families leave one night who were a little unsure of how things go. It is not easy to watch your own kid and also help a new rider but without the new riders constantly coming in they wont have anyone to race in the future.

Absolutely!! I know topics like this have been posted many times by many people. Whether you want to call it the buddy program, mentor, shadow, etc. This would definitely be a great thing to put in place.
Gallo

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:26 pm

J Gallo wrote:
A RAD site that was up-to-date and clear for idiots like me would help.

I thought I was doing pretty good on RAD's website, but I am definitely open to any and all suggestions to make it better!!

Easier navigation might have been a better phrase for me to use. It's a good site, but I had a hard time when I was first investigating thru it.

Probably just me. :oops:

I'm just one dude and have but one opinion and it ain't always right!

greg

Postby greg » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:17 am

shifter and all.....I like the dialog....lets keep the ideas coming.

I'll explain a little of my thought process on some of my ideas.

color guard, school bands, boy scouts, etc doing the National Anthem - My actual motivation for this is exposure to groups outside of BMX. Word of mouth is king in advertising, and the more kids, adults, whoever are exposed to Rad, the more they will talk about it. Lets say I can get just 4 or 5 NEW faces to see what BMX racing is each and every week. If people are scheduled to come out and do a ceremony, chances are they will at least see the first few motos. Thats approx. 100 new faces seeing our sport just from enviting them to play the national anthem. I'm sure we could get a few of them to sign up. It's a matter of exposing BMX to the massing on a limited budget, and this my friend is getting people to talk about BMX racing in scouts, school, weekend job at the guard, etc.

I absolutely agree on the begginer racer and family needing some track time and instruction. I thing this would be a BIG help in retention of first year racers if there were some kind of structured instruction. This is one of my goals with the league thing. It's not so much for compitition (although that certainly would be part of it), but to give the people that thrive in a more co-dependant atmosphere a place to belong. I love that BMX is an individual sport, and I personally would not change that. BUT, I also recognize that not everyone is like that, and the confusion factor turns them off of the sport before they really learn the ins and outs. If we could just have a structure so that when a newby signs up, they are asked if they are interested in joining a team. This team would have a coach (just a seasoned racer, not anything more) that can help get them started in the right direction. It pairs some of the newer riders with some seasoned riders, and helps build a bond so that they dont feel like they are just sitting in the stands alone, not knowing anyone.

Anyway, just some thoughts to keep me motivated.

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:21 pm

greg wrote:color guard, school bands, boy scouts, etc doing the National Anthem - My actual motivation for this is exposure to groups outside of BMX. Word of mouth is king in advertising, and the more kids, adults, whoever are exposed to Rad, the more they will talk about it. Lets say I can get just 4 or 5 NEW faces to see what BMX racing is each and every week. If people are scheduled to come out and do a ceremony, chances are they will at least see the first few motos. Thats approx. 100 new faces seeing our sport just from enviting them to play the national anthem. I'm sure we could get a few of them to sign up. It's a matter of exposing BMX to the massing on a limited budget, and this my friend is getting people to talk about BMX racing in scouts, school, weekend job at the guard, etc.

That's why discussion is so important. I hadn't even considered the folks doing the ceremony stuf as word of mouth/exposure. Great thinking.

I absolutely agree on the begginer racer and family needing some track time and instruction. I think this would be a BIG help in retention of first year racers if there were some kind of structured instruction. This is one of my goals with the league thing. It's not so much for compitition (although that certainly would be part of it), but to give the people that thrive in a more co-dependant atmosphere a place to belong. I love that BMX is an individual sport, and I personally would not change that. BUT, I also recognize that not everyone is like that, and the confusion factor turns them off of the sport before they really learn the ins and outs. If we could just have a structure so that when a newby signs up, they are asked if they are interested in joining a team. This team would have a coach (just a seasoned racer, not anything more) that can help get them started in the right direction. It pairs some of the newer riders with some seasoned riders, and helps build a bond so that they dont feel like they are just sitting in the stands alone, not knowing anyone.

Now that I think of it leagues would be kinda cool. They'd have to not be cherry picked though. If I could contribute to a team in my own slow way, I'd certainly feel much better about competition. My guess is that BMX works like MX i.e. a guy in a "slower" class finishes #1 enough and he's bumped up - that would work too. Think about it... who didn't ride a bike as a kid??? It's a fountain of youth really. :lol:

I wanna come out and ride and I want my boys to come out and ride and build some good associations w/ good kids, plus it's an easy way for dad to keep an eye on the boys. 8)

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:59 pm

J Gallo wrote:

Oh yeah! This one is VERY near and dear to my heart. I will do everything in my power to own this one, unless in reading between the lines you are really saying "Uh.. Jason kinda sucks, anyone else want to step up?" ;-)

I really wanted to try and bring wi-fi to the track this year, but my work schedule never seems to let up. I'm hoping we can maybe get some tie in with Xmission since we are a County facility.

I'll see what I can put together.
I know a couple people at Xmission... What can be offered to them if they provide some connectivity? And exactly what kinda of connectivity is desired? Is WJ a Utopia city? Would that include RC?

Return to “UtahBMX”