Risk vs. Reward. The "getting hurt" thread.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Risk vs. Reward. The "getting hurt" thread.

Postby bnd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 pm

There's a thread over at V about older guys getting hurt & my buddy Ken chimed in with this story. Good reading & it makes you think, at least to me if getting hurt racing is worth the risk.
b.

March 1, 2007

Its no secret that I live my life a bit differently than most of the general public. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 25 years, I don't smoke, do drugs, or partake in any of the socially acceptable vices that tend to take years off of one's life. I haven't had red meat in 19 years and overall, I am a pretty healthy guy considering I am a 41 year old Real Estate Broker.

I have raced all of my life. We had a track set up in our huge garage as kids for neighborhood skateboard races when we were eight. I raced BMX bikes all over the country from ages 12-18. I raced Drag Cars, SCCA sports cars, Pro Solo, etc., during college. Raced road and mountain bikes during those college years as well. These days you can still find me on road bikes, DS, DH, MountainCross, and of course BMX bikes as I travel around the country having a good time and keeping young.

Even when I have a little setback (we often call broken bones setbacks), I fully understand that I assume all risks the second I throw my leg over a bike and gate up. In the whole risk vs. reward debate, I will never second guess myself. I am a cycling enthusiast. Nothing will ever change that.

If I had to live a sheltered life, I honestly don't think I could stand it. If I seriously had to worry about what "could" or "may" happen doing this or doing that, you may as well just lock me up and take away all of my bikes and toys. I could just as easily break a neck, leg, back or ??? on one of my quads or three wheelers or making the wrong move on the racquetball court. Just two months ago, after a full day of snowboarding and messing around with my kids, I fell off of our snow covered front porch on my way to a racquetball game. One inch either way very well could have resulted in some nasty broken bones or more, but I dodged a bullet on that day.

Last Saturday in Boulder City, I obviously didn't dodge a bullet and ended up with some nasty breaks in my left leg. I had flown in solo and was very fortunate to have many members of my team on hand to help out and take charge of everything that was going on with all of my things that were there at the time.

Bill Ryan, along with his son Lincoln, followed my ambulance to the hospital and made sure I was checked in and relaxed as my surgery details were being worked out. The entire ride in that ambulance, I could see Bill calling folks and giving information on both his and my cell phones as he followed us. Kenth Fallen and his wife, Laura (even though Kenth had just broken his collarbone and thumb earlier in the day) were right there with me on the track as the first responders tried to keep me from going into shock. They even grabbed my phone and ID from my rental car so I would have everything I needed at the hospital. Bill even dialed my phone to let all of my family members know what was going on as I was being tended to on the side of the track.

Snap's Bob Coover was extremely helpful as he was one of the first guys to reach me on the track. He made sure they removed my shoe before the swelling became too severe. We worked together to get my point across that I needed my gear carefully removed as quickly as possible. Nothing needed to be cut off that way the scissors happy crew wanted to. Pretty funny trying to get that point across while you are going into shock. The only things they ended up cutting off of me were my socks and Lycra tights that I was wearing under my race pants.

I'll be out for a while with this setback and I may not return to the track until much later this year or sometime next year. One thing you can count on is the fact that I will return. You cannot keep me away from my bikes.

Back then I had no idea that I would spend most of that season in a wheelchair and in and out of surgeries and that the Titanium hardware in my leg would require me to use a brace for the rest of my active life, but...... I wouldn't change a thing.

It took 18 months to really get back into my groove but I have had a blast getting back to the front of the pack again.

As I said back then, we assume the risks each time we throw a leg over a race bike and gate up. At 46, I am still one of the fastest guys in the state and have no plans to turn this sport back over to the kids.... Remember, a body at rest tends to stay at rest while a body in motion tends to stay in motion, that may be a slogan these days, but it is a reality for those of us old guys that are still active

KP
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

dilleyboys
GHP

Re: Risk vs. Reward. The "getting hurt" thread.

Postby dilleyboys » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:50 pm

People avoid risks in life, to make it safely to death.....

happens to be my fav saying currently.

Kev

PAPAWHEELY
Schwinn

Postby PAPAWHEELY » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 pm

I've been watching that thread and there are some very interesting comments. As long as they can keep screwing me back together, I'm racing.

Life is a race...WIN!!!
Matt

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Of course it didn't take long for that thread to take a nose dive. :roll:

Iv'e had plenty of injuries racing, 2 really bad ones, but I kept coming back. Barring a really bad injury like what happened to Roland, Sheldon or Ken Pliska, I think I would still get back on the horse after time.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Not sure how either of those responses constitute a "nose dive"... :roll:

"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze
than it should be stifled by dry rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor,
every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time."
- Jack London
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

crash
GT

Postby crash » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:11 pm

I fight the urge to go out and buy a new MX bike all the time. The feel of the power, thperfect berm, the flight and the ultimate gate, and the old days of premix smell. Then old guy slips in the back of my mind and reminds me of the surgerys, the bills the year on crutches, learning to walk again, and i still rode. I am only going to play ride no more racing. Right. I bought the new Honda 450 getting faster again. Never real fast but I had fun. Went out to the desert with friends and while on a trail a dumb bimbo on a four wheeler rides right through the middle of us hiitting me from the side. I break my back. Down again. I keep the bike for two years. By now my son is riding BMX. I finnally see what it is about. What my role is as a father and employer and how hard it was for my familywhen i was out for a year.I am not giving up i am passing it on. I cant do that to them again. I love to watch and respect the athletic ability of all the COGs i uncerstand the thrill. Iam jelous. And in no way do i condemn the old guys.( except when too many crash with the new national format in the beginner and inter classes and i miss a flight) JK. But some have too much riding on them to chance it. When i become super rich. I am there! BUT for now I watch and live through my kids.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:37 pm

ogr13 wrote:Not sure how either of those responses constitute a "nose dive"... :roll:

The thread over at V has turned into a pissing match, not here Dave.

The longest I was ever out of work due to BMX injuries was 5 weeks.

b.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Ahh, my bad then.
I stopped looking at Vintage as I find the majority of their stuff takes a "nose dive" before long.
Another thing we do better here! :mrgreen:
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Most of you already know this, but in the first 19 months of racing, I spent two separate 3 month stretches on light duty at work, and out of racing due to BMX crashes. The first was a broken collar bone, broken ribs, and a punctured lung. I spent 7 days in the ICU, which was the first time in my 33 years of life that I spent a night in the hospital. The second big one was a broken wrist, which required surgery and a screw to hold things together.

I have several co-workers that still don't know understand why I would even get back on my bike. I just can't stay away from such a great group of friends, and the fun of locking into my pedals and trying my best to get to the front of my class. I just hope it never comes down to a decision between kicking it on the track with the COGs, or supporting my family, because it would be very hard to step away from racing.
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

Return to “UtahBMX”