App idea

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

TripleBz
Huffy

App idea

Postby TripleBz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey I have an idea for an app after spending time hearing "parents check your kids motos" about 200 times a race weekend. Is there a way to take the moto sheets and post them somewhere that an app dev could create an app from the data? It would be nice for a dad who's kids race and also themselves race to be able to pull out their phone and check. It would also make reported motos easier.

What do you guys think? Is this even possible?
Brandon
West Jordan, UT

LocoTone
GT

Re: App idea

Postby LocoTone » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:54 pm

The ABA does it at nationals....

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm sure it's possible because I believe the ABA iPhone app has that capability. However I think the bigger issue is the technology to get it into the app at the track site. Generally with no Internet connection and limited computer tech this might prove very difficult.

Requests for just simple post race results posted to the Internet have been made in the past and still hasn't been able to be worked out.

However, I absolutely love this idea. I've been working on a utahbmx.com web app, but haven't put much time into it lately cause it didn't seem like there was much interest. I'll add it to my list.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

TripleBz
Huffy

Postby TripleBz » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21 pm

I think that pre race info would be more beneficial than post race. I wonder if the existing ABA app could be used?
Brandon
West Jordan, UT

LocoTone
GT

Postby LocoTone » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 pm

The ABA also broadcasts their own wifi from the reg trailer, and that's the only way to pick up the moto info.

dad2six
Huffy

Postby dad2six » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:54 pm

I like the idea! with three kids racing and myself this would be cool.

TripleBz
Huffy

Postby TripleBz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 pm

If it is a network issue then a easy fix would be a simple myfi from a cell phone carrier would allow the Track to post the motos to the cloud. Everyone else has a cell phone so they could use the cell network to get the data via the application.

It would cost the track $40 a month for the myfi device. If whomever developed the app charged .99 or 1.99 they could help the track with their monthly charge. I would pay the money for an app like this. There would be so much less chaos with moto communication!
Brandon
West Jordan, UT

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I'd buy that app for $1

Skew
GT

Postby Skew » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:38 pm

+1
Logan

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:47 pm

I wonder if the existing ABA app could be used?

I think that is the $1 question. Why reinvent the wheel and charge $1 for it if the existing ABA app can be used at the local level.

Who's up for making a call to the ABA to see if it's even possible?
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Without a rebuild of their app, here's how I assume it would have to work: find out the pre configured IP or named address that the ABA app points to for the data it displays when looking up motos at a national. Spoof that address on an http server at the arena. Put up an AP at the arena that is broadcasting the same SSID as what the ABA does at the nationals and operated similar to a "hot spot". I think that's it.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

How do you get the moot sheets into a readable format for the app on the network? Is there a function in moto maker, or do they have to be scanned?
Gallo

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 pm

A "PDF printer" maybe?

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Ok, here is what we have so far. After a quick discussion, I think this is how we can make this happen quickly.

If Moto Maker can print to a PDF format (Melton is checking into), we can upload that file to the RADCanyonBMX.com site, and link to the file. I'll need to create a few pages, but it shouldn't be that difficult (upload, index, etc).

This would allow anyone with ANY mobile device, cross platform compatible instead of a "app" designed for only iphone/android/etc, to access the files just by visiting a web page.

Here is a quick mockup I did tonight. I used the district ranking PDF files in the mockup just for testing.

simply navigate to: motos.radcanyonbmx.com

Let me know if you think we are on the right track. This could be a quick and easy way to get moto sheets visible at the track.

Jason
Gallo

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Looks good to me, so I will find out about the format. Once we do that you can get me instructions on how to upload it and we might in business!
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

Return to “UtahBMX”