Virgin BMX- Thanks Brian Black and Mike Empey (sp-?)

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

JasonStout
GT

Virgin BMX- Thanks Brian Black and Mike Empey (sp-?)

Postby JasonStout » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Brian and Mike have stepped down from their role of being in charge of racing down here in Dixie.

I just wanted to thank them for their countless hours of work and dedication to the track.

Thanks for all you've done!

Jason Stout
"Push to the line!"

b2
Not a Troll!

Re: Virgin BMX- Thanks Brian Black and Mike Empey (sp-?)

Postby b2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks Brian and Mike! I was able to visit your track this past spring--what a fun track!

Good luck with your future endeavors!

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:41 pm

What does this mean for the future of Virgin BMX?

If there is a new TO it will open a legal door and opportunity for the track to move from the NBL to the ABA. This could be another positive for BMX in Utah if there is a special someone (Stout :D ) to capitalize on it.

Just think of the late winter/early spring exodus from up north looking for dry dirt, good weather and fun racing!

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:50 pm

sspencer wrote:What does this mean for the future of Virgin BMX?

If there is a new TO it will open a legal door and opportunity for the track to move from the NBL to the ABA. This could be another positive for BMX in Utah if there is a special someone (Stout :D ) to capitalize on it.

Just think of the late winter/early spring exodus from up north looking for dry dirt, good weather and fun racing!

Steve

I must be a Facebook junkie... I was looking for the "Like" button for Steve's comments... ;)

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:53 pm

Here you go Brent....

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:06 pm

sspencer wrote:Here you go Brent....

Steve

I keep clicking, Steve, but my computer keeps replying "you're a DORK"...

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:28 pm

After making a few phone calls & hitting the streets looking up all my contacts, all I've got to say as of this moment is if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck........

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:40 pm

It's going to be a duck pond?!

:-P

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:56 pm

I will give you a plus 1 on this !!!!!!!!

mhp800
GT

Postby mhp800 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Who ever steps up need to make sure that they do not sign the T.O. agreement with the NBL before talking to the ABA .

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Who ever steps up need to make sure that they do not sign the T.O. agreement with the NBL before talking to the ABA .

That will be your official job Bill... jump in front of who ever the new TO is and set them straight. Make sure they arrange a meeting with Ron Melton and myself to get the wheels of cooperation turning and prepare for the spring.

Everyone cross your fingers!
Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 am

This is excellent news. Brian and Mike - thanks for your hard work, and if this is a move to allow for movement from NBL to ABA, thanks for that in spades!

I am not an NBL hater at all. Yes, I think the ABA is better, but that has nothing to do with this situation. With the dominant sanction in Utah being ABA, having this track ABA as well will boost its numbers in a big way. Especially in Spring and Fall. The fact that (I think) Nellis and Boulder City are going (or will go) ABA is even more of a boon. If Virgin switches to ABA this is just good business and good for Utah BMX.

And it is a great little facility and a fun track. We always had fun there. The surrounding view is the best I have seen in BMX. Period.
~Curtis

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Fred Smith is returning as the track president (He was the original TO for some time. He's attendend every race and practice that has been held at this track. He's always there! He's a great guy. He does need help-but with his backgroud of being a construction supervisor- it will be a natural fit at the track. He's put his heart and soul in to that place for years already, and is willing to keep giving. He has a good crew of people helping him.

From what I understand- the track in under contract with the NBL until 2013. The city of Virgin would love to shut the track down- so if their is a sanction switch we may lose the track completely.

This will be the 10th year of track operation. I think that qualifies them for a rebuild through the NBL.

The best thing for racing would be to switch it to ABA and have all you racing junkies come from Feb-April, and Sept-Nov. (Pre and post Rad Canyon season.)

Anyway- Call Fred.

Steve Spencer- what's the process of changing sanctions? What would have to be done.

No- I'm not interested in getting involved. Like I said- I'm not really involved in the race scene down here much. I have a lot going on right now. I'm sure I'll return eventually- but for now its 'other stuff'.

There has been talk of another group of racers down here building an ABA track closer to St. George- I'm all about being on board for that deal! It makes more sense to me not having to break contracts, fight the system, change a decade of ideas, and step on toes.

The demographic in St. George is perfect for building an amazing program. With the support of the ABA racers from up north it would be a sure success.

Jason Stout
"Push to the line!"

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Depending on who signed the contract it will determine a possible loophole for the track changing sanctions. If it was an individual and not the city, parks & rec or other relation to the city corporation then all that person has to do is not be a part legal track organization and then opens it up for someone else to step in as the T.O. and legally can change the sanction to the ABA. From there a rebuild can be completed along with a successful new life for the track.

Simple as that :D
Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Steve Spencer-

Fred Smith said he'd take a phone call from you.

Please call him at 435.635-5268

He's willing to consider this change if it's "best for the kids and everyone involved."

Let's do this people!!

Jason Stout
"Push to the line!"

Return to “UtahBMX”