RC #3 - Poll Q. Track layout.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Poll ended at Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:01 pm

Loved the track layout, lent itself to great racing. More of the same!
56%
Yeah, overall it was ok. Could of used more obstacles if the dirt was available.
31%
So-so....Hello, 1984 called, they want their track back.
No votes
It sucked worse than bnd's gates!
13%

Total votes: 16

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Step up & vote, even you lurkers can get into the action.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

LocoTone
GT

Re: RC #3 - Poll Q. Track layout.

Postby LocoTone » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I love any track I can ride in November, out of the weather, 5 minutes from my house! HUGE thanks go to Ron, Steve, Mont, and sorry I'm terrible with names, but you all know who you are if I left you out. See you all in two weeks........

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Well said Tony!
No plywood, no concrete and a great weekend hanging out with the COGs! 8)
Thanks to all who participated. :D
Can't wait to see what Steve comes up with next time...
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:10 pm

I agree! That track was fast and fun! Thanks Steve and crew!

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 pm

I had a ton of fun on this track. The dirt is certainly a lot stickier than Davis County. The county is responsible for skimming up the dirt and piling it in the center before track build. I think Steve had about 50% of the usual amount to work with, so that's why there was a lot of flat.

Alex-Gren
Schwinn

Postby Alex-Gren » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:30 am

I loved the track, although I did wish the double coming out of the sweeper was a tiny bit bigger for a smoother jump!
But from how my races went, It was a really fast track and easy to figure out good lines.
i'm stoked on how different it was also.
the roller at the 30 foot line was awesome!

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Good track plenty of speed. Steve worked a miracle with the amount of dirt he had. Liked the triple too. Look forward to helping again in 2 weeks
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks again everyone for the support. Again, I know we can never please everyone but most everyone seem to be having a great time by all of the smiles, high-5's, fist-bumps and hand shakes going down.

Like Justin stated we were a little short on dirt and after coming from the Davis County facility it makes the difference seem even more extreme as they have nearly 3 times the amount of dirt there than the SL County venue. Even with the slightly less amount of dirt we still were 20 minutes late on getting the track completed on Friday. With even more dirt the track would have been incomplete Friday which means staying late Friday till they kick us out at midnight then coming back early in the morning to finish it in time for practice at 1:00pm or earlier if there is a clinic scheduled. It is a high-pressure race to get the track done in one day so it is mentally and physically draining to get it all done.

We are always open to suggestions and several more were thrown my way over the weekend. The most common was why we dont build bigger and more obstacles, especially in the rythym. Well to simply put it, a larger and more detailed obstacle takes much more time to complete. If a great deal of time is spent making one obstacle then everything else suffers. We have built roughly 30+ tracks at the SL County building and by now we know where we need to be at each time during the day. On average it takes the first 4 hours to grade the floor and build the 3 turns. The next 4 hours are spent building all of the jumps. If we are off schedule at all that is when the panic sets in as we dont want to let down all of the racers ready to practice right at 6:00pm Friday.

Also I had a few asking why we dont have a dirt jump or Pro section anymore. Pro sections were fun for only a hand full of people and that dirt can go into making an extra obstacle or two on the race track to make it even better. Plus the time that went into building a dirt jump that only a few people would ride took away from the time to build the race track. The consensus was that 99% of the people come there to race and ride a race track. Plus the dirt jump tended to draw in a few undesirable poachers that werent willing to follow the rules or caused trouble. Maybe we will have one down the road when time and resources permit and possibly tie it in with a few pro jumpers to come out.

Again, it is quite a task to get the track completed and the track build crew makes every effort to build something a little different and fun each weekend which I think we are doing by the growing numbers of racers that continue to come out and support the program. I get calls and emails from indoor tracks around the country asking how we can get such a nice track built a short time when they have been working on theirs for weeks and still not get as good of a track that we do. Feel fortunate that you have a hardworking and caring crew who get such a great job done.

This last week we had one of our biggest volunteer efforts ever! The crew was lead by Dallas Edwards, Justin Alvey, Steve Foresta and Mont Allen. These four gentlemen kept the rest of the crew on task and made sure that the final product was dialed in. I apologize for not remembering who all came out to help but these great people took time off work or away from other important matters to come out and help get the track ready for our great racing community.... THANK YOU ALL!

We will continue to attempt to make new obstacles and changes to the tracks that time and resources allow. Thanks to all of our wonderful and valued Utah BMXers and our extended racing familiy who travel to spend their weekends with us.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in two weeks!
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

Return to “UtahBMX”