new CPSC regs pose problems for BMX

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

new CPSC regs pose problems for BMX

Postby greg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:27 am

I've been reading a very disheartening thread over at Vintage, and thought I should share what is happening with our sport with everyone here at UtahBMX. Check it out.

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/ind ... c=27023813

It's dealing with the new CPSC laws that have been ennacted recently, and how they affect the manufacturers of bikes and safety equipement. For some dumb reason they have lumped our BMX bikes into the "toy" catagory, requiring very expensive testing to verify lead content. This has already forced a fairly large player, Kuwahara, to cease selling complete bikes here in the U.S. According to this thread, it will cost upwards of $3000 to test a complete bike, as each and every nut, bolt, tire, grip, brake cable, spoke nipple, will have to be tested on each run of bike.

By reading this thread, it seems that some of the larger manufacturers have worked out how this is going to be handled, but I suspect that this legislation will have a HUGE impact on smaller companies such as Staats, Supercross, Direct Link, GHP, etc.

Anyway, I suggest that anyone having any kind of interest in our sport follow this thread and when asked, take action to help fight this.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

dilleyboys
GHP

Re: new CPSC regs pose problems for BMX

Postby dilleyboys » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't know how to help if there is anything we can do please post, im all in. thanks for the post and link. its to bad we did not know earlier. might have been easier in the early stages. Sounds like an easy fix just to late......

Diesel
AA Pro Track Sweeper

Postby Diesel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 pm

GHP told me they aren't worried about it. So from what I read, I guess they aren't worried about it YET! How many kids you ever seen chewing on their frame? I think it would be really hard to eat a spoke nipple while it's in the rim with a spoke. Well, I guess it could happen! :) :) :)

What should us Grassroots types do? What do you guys think? I wouldn't think we could let this go unchallenged. I think I might forward this mess over to Rush! I wonder if he would address it? I almost bet he would.
Man made Global Warming is a HOAX!
Al Gore and his boy's gonna take you to the cleaners while they get bank!
Stop Obamacare, Cap and Tax and Alien Amnesty!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:31 am

Every last one of us CAN do something.......

http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

Take the time to read it then over to the right are some links. If you don't want to pay $800 bucks for a frame or $150 for a stem you might want to get involved.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

BLong
GT

Postby BLong » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:47 am

I have sent a couple of messages to FOX Business Network. No response yet but I will keep trying.

-Brian
----------------------------
truebmx.com

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 am

Don't most of us pay $800 for frames and and $150 for stems anyway?

Gotta have the best!

JS
"Push to the line!"

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"CPSIA Enforces Unnecessary Controls on BMX Racing"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/BMXCPSC/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Brent Barton

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 pm

For those of you who don't visit VintageBMX, Mike Carruth, the dude that runs the joint posted the below message there. Note that this information goes right to the new Administration's "Citizen Briefing Book", a place for citizens to post their concerns on issues facing Americans today. I encourage you all to have a look at what Mr. Carruth has written on the Change.gov site and to leave an intelligent comment about how this CPSIA legislation will affect you and your family's hobby.

The Obama Administration has opened a section of their "change.gov" web site called the "Citizen's Briefing Book."

This is, seemingly, a way for the administration to hear from John and Jane citizen about the issues that matter most to them.

I wrote a post entitled "CPSIA Exemption for "Competition Bicycles and Accessories" this morning, and ask that you please go to the site, create an account and vote my post "up" so it gets recognized. Then, take a moment and write a brief comment, either in support of, or expressing an additional view than my post.

Here's where to find it:

http://tinyurl.com/bmxcpsia

Thanks for your participation in this most important issue.

Best,

M

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:50 pm

b2 wrote:Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"CPSIA Enforces Unnecessary Controls on BMX Racing"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/BMXCPSC/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.

Best wishes,

Brent Barton

I just signed this over at V, I encourage EVERYONE here who visits this site to take 3 minutes & sign your name to it for the sake of the sport.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

mervin
Intense

Postby mervin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Just signed the petition and was kinda floored at the amount of signatures 5210 was the count and there are more than 60,000 bmxers in America/ Canada is there a way to get this petition posted on the aba/ nbl web sites?

Micheal

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:19 pm

It's been on VintageBMX.com and many people have linked to it from their blogs and Facebook pages. I know Shannon Gillette from ABA gets on Vintage, but maybe from some political angle it's not in their best interest, somehow... I dunno. But I sure would assume that representatives from both ABA and NBL have seen and maybe signed the petition...

ZDM
Huffy

Postby ZDM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 pm

JasonStout wrote:Don't most of us pay $800 for frames and and $150 for stems anyway?

Gotta have the best!

JS

Yeah, but there is a difference in paying $800.00 for an $800.00 frame and paying $800.00 for a $250.00 frame :?

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Small BMX businesses get a reprieve!!! :D

Associated Press - 1/30/09
Washington, DC -- U.S. makers of toys and other children's products will get an extra year to comply with certain lead and chemical testing rules.

Members of the Consumer Product Safety Commission voted unanimously Friday to hold off on a Feb. 10 deadline in which manufacturers were to sell only products that have been tested for lead and other harmful substances.

Last summer, lawmakers imposed the toughest lead standards in the world, banning lead beyond minute levels in products for children 12 or younger. Former President George W. Bush signed the measure in August. The act came after millions of recalled toys and children's items, many of which were from China.

Manufacturers will now have until Feb. 10, 2010, to comply with the testing requirements.

This should give ample time for the "mom n pop's" to get their business in order or possibly get a break from the impending law affecting them... good news!

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:00 am

Not out of the woods but a LARGE sigh of relief!

Return to “UtahBMX”