A few newbie questions - Round 1

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

shifter
Intense

A few newbie questions - Round 1

Postby shifter » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:37 pm

I'll ask 'em now so have your laughs @ the newbie and let's get on w/ it...

Rear Wheel:

:?: How you get them dern things off QUICKLY??? Is there a fast way to freeing the chain tensioners from holding/pushing the axle back??? Image

Here's a bad image of the tensioner:

Chains:

:?: Please note a good chain. D.I.D is all I use in the moto world, but they don't do BMX (that I'm aware).

Clipless:

:?: I ride clipless on my mtb so I know the pros and cons (no cons unless you're new to 'em). I won't run 'em yet on the BMXer, but will most likely put 'em on next year. Name a solid type if you please. They don't need to be spd either.

Work Stand:

:?: What stand do you guys/gals use for maintaining your bikes? A particular Park model???

Truing Stand:

:?: Park TW-8???

Chain Breaker:

:?: Please note a good chain breaking tool. Do you guys run clipped masters or pressure type masters?

Thanks. Image[/img]

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:06 pm

Shifter
We dont laugh at the newbie questions on here, we laugh at them at the track :P Just kiddin we dont laugh at anyone here or the track cause we were all new once! A few of us even made the newbies look good cause we were so green!

Answers:
#1 you dont.....they are meant to be a pain in the arse, tha is why they work so well. Its not like mtn biking you dont have to do a quick change often. Make sure all is tight and running well before you get to the track.

#2 Shimano IG or HG is all I run. Spendy but worth the money

#3 Shimano 647 pedals. Alot of folks run the TIMES (spelling?)

#4 Park makes a stand, old table and tube chair work great too, just flip the bike on the seat and bars, easy

#5 and #6 Both Park, their chain breaker is the best
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:19 am

mackdaddy wrote:Answers:
#1 you dont.....they are meant to be a pain in the arse...

I can have the rear of an MXer off quicker than the BMX rear - dead serious. Oh well - it is what it is.

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:07 am

my take on a few of the questions:

1) your speed of taking the chain tensioner off may be due to the type that frame employes. Like Jason said, speed usually isnt a factor with BMX mechanics, so it's not a big deal (unless your caught between motos with a flat tire and have to change tubes quick...been there, done that with the kids bikes). Anyway, there are many out there that are really not a big deal to take off and can be done in seconds.

2) SRAM makes a good chain. Also, KMC 610 chains are decent at a decent price. It just depends on how many ponies your putting out, if it's for a small kid, how often you are willing to change them out, etc.

3) If you do decide to run clips, Shimano are pretty much the norm. There are some that prefer others, though. If you go Shimano, a great pedal is the DX (PD-M647), or the PD-M545.

4) personally, I think stands are a waiste. Spend your money on an extra national or something.

5) Again, truing stands aren't really required, but lets just say you like to be a hands on type and not pay for things (wheel truing can be had for pretty cheap, though). If you really like to do it yourself, and you're like me, you may as well get the tool that's going to give you the most satisfaction. Go for the Park TS-2 if you want the best tool. It's about double the TS-8, but is twice the tool.

6) I use a Park twist type chain breaker, but have also used a cheap import breaker with no complaints. There's plenty out there, but if you go with Park tools in general, I don't think you'll go wrong.

As far as master links, there are various thoughts on these. Some don't like them at all, some have no problem using them. Me presonally, I haven't had or seen any problems with them, but I do stick with the clip type.

Hope this helps.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

crash
GT

Postby crash » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm

Allen Bolt Axels work nice for quick change.

I like the bike work stands for repairs, cleaning, and keeping me upright. ( Broken back and bad leg from MX).

At the track I use the tail gate.

I can tell you are a MX junkie by the questions! Half the fun is messing with the bikes.

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:34 pm

crash wrote:I can tell you are a MX junkie by the questions! Half the fun is messing with the bikes.

I have (5) reasons I don't live in my shop - my wife and (4) kids! Wrenching is a close second to riding!

bmx_tyler
Schwinn

Postby bmx_tyler » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:01 pm

It just takes time.

My brothers race MX and I have no clue how to fix their motorcycles, nor would I even try. If you can tackle that mess, you can handle a BMX bike. You just have to play around with the bike tell you are a little bit more comfortable with it.

I understand the fustration. I work two jobs and go to school, plus my father and husband duties. I'm telling ya if you just mess around with the bike for a couple of times it will get easier.

If you brake it, it will be new
Tyler Edvalson

Return to “UtahBMX”