Track Op. change @ Rad Canyon? Your honest thoughts.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Track Op. change @ Rad Canyon? Your honest thoughts.

Postby bnd » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:56 pm

I attended the SCF's Sunday out at Rad Canyon, sitting in the stands watching Vincent race & catching up with alot of people. One of the topics that came up as I made my rounds was that the T.O. position that Dave Halliday has held for the past few years is going to change hands. Dave has done an absolutely wonderful job IMO doing this. Dave has oldschool roots & brought alot of experiance to the table when he took over for Pat Simmons.
I was asked who I thought would be my choice of person(s) who could carry the torch & would continue to keep RC progressing in the right direction. I thought about it for awhile & I wasn't far off target. I said Jason Melton for obvious reasons but I thought he wouldn't have the time or stomach for it but then somebody said "What do you think about Ron Melton?

If he's down with it, what a logical choice no doubt. The Meltons have track OP experiance as they ran the indoor colusium in the 80's for a few years & did a great job at it. When I turned expert in late 84' as a 17 yr. old there, Ron was the one who announced it & took me up on the tabletop & shook my hand.
Their resume from the past 20 years is awesome & their Grass Roots BMX program shows they care about promoting the sport & growing it the best they can. Ron has a great relationship with the ABA & is well known & liked by them all.

I'm a big believer in having actual race/on track experiance if your going to build tracks or operate one. I'm not saying that it's mandatory but it gives you the racers perspective because they themselves race or have raced.

If this story is true, I hope to see some new blood involved with RC & I think getting Ron in there with a good supporting cast would keep the ball rolling forward.

My 2 cents.

b.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:58 pm

the rumors are flying about this topic around the track, anybody ask Ron if he is up for the job?

Bruce, you are right he would be a great choice

looking in from the outside

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:26 pm

Having only been back on the BMX scene for a little over a year, it's hard for me to judge who would/would not be best to take over out at RAD.

But I can say that Dave and Tanna, in my humble opinion, have done an AWESOME job at RAD. I would really hate to see them go. RAD is definitely "THE" track in Utah, and I know there are a ton of great volunteers, but it all starts with the TO's. I've heard them say repeatedly everything they do at the track is all about the kids, and you can see it in everything that goes on during the races. Just look at the "extra's" during the SCF this past sunday. The podium presentation, the jackets and stickers given to the #1's IN ADDITION TO the regular ABA sponsored gear, etc.

I love helping out in anyway humanly possible out at RAD because of Dave and Tanna. I just wish I could do more with the limited time I have. And I should say for the record that ANY WEED near that track is MY FAULT and I will personally take responsibility for not removing it! :)

If Dave and Tanna find it necessary to move on, I sincerely thank them for all the time and effort they have put in to make BMX just that much more fun for all of us!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Roland
Huffy

Lists and Track Operator Position

Postby Roland » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:26 pm

For starters, I want to thank BND for offering such an objective view of Utah BMX since the beginning. I too came from the early days and appreciate Steve Spencer for the honorable mention.

A couple of other people I would want to make an honorable mention for would be: Steve Mochizuki, Bryon Wixom, & Vince Adams and Greg Miner (he designed/hand built a 26" cruiser and allowed me to race it during the season). Although some of these were smoother and more consistent racers than others, they all played their role in helping Utah BMX become what it is today.

To those that have been around from the Harper, Sandy, Mendon,
Ogden 12th Street, Jordan River, Glendale (1700 So. 1300 West), Indoor Coliseum racing on the slick concrete floors & Park City Tracks just to name a few.
You are all on my list of a who is who in BMX.

I came from the days of:
1. Hand written moto sheets (generally 80+ weekly single point races)
2. (6) & (8) man gates that were manually lifted and released.
3. Friday night's Motos running into the wee hours of Saturday morning only to have to be back around noon for the next race to begin.
4. Real Big Wheel Races, you remember--- the plastic trike with two small rear wheels and one big plastic front wheel.
5. Hand cleaning front and back tires after each moto to re-apply tacky solvents so you would at least have some traction while racing on smooth, slick concrete floors.
6. Beginner, Novice and Expert classes that were always full gates if not two or three. (Note: today’s Novice class was called beginner back then).

Although our parents, families and many of the volunteers may not have made the magazines, podiums, movies or top 10 lists, they helped position Utah BMX for where it stands today. I respect, admire and appreciate each and every racer, parent and volunteer that has ever participated in the great sport of BMX. If it weren't for all of them, I myself would have been forced to continue playing baseball or some other alternative.

All of the riders mentioned throughout these pages contributed to one degree or another and deserve to be mentioned as ambassadors of Utah BMX. If it weren't for them and all of their mothers, fathers, families and many volunteers along the way, we would never have had the success getting Utah BMX to where it is at today.

Don't be fooled, Utah has one of the biggest, cleanest, well-groomed BMX facilities in the country. Our family has been fortunate enough over the years to race at many tracks around the West, and very few compare to any one of Rad Canyon's qualities let alone the whole package.

When Salt Lake County opened their pockets and made the huge commitment and investment to BMX in Salt Lake County, they did so because of a strong presence past and future of BMX'ers. When the county agreed to support Rad Canyon, it was not by sheer coincidence or luck. There were several people that went to bat to help secure such a un-parralled program. There were many meetings, plans and negotiations that took months several months to complete...

Although there are many candidates and worthy individuals that could run a local BMX track, Rad Canyon is light years above most and needs to be run as such. There have been rumors about who should, would or might take over the duties as Track Operator, however few can boast the total package of components that it will take to orchestrate such a task.

In my best thought out opinion, Ron Melton is the individual that has the resume as polished as any other candidate with their name in the hat.

Some of the components that make Ron's resume so attractive are:
1. Manage a supporting cast. (several years of professional corporate management duties have groomed him for this).
2. Past Track Operator knows all angles of BMX from being a presence on the ABA National Circuit as a contending racer (past World Champion) to operating successful tracks in the past.
3. Diplomatic as they come. If you have ever seen Ron's heart rate above normal, it is only after a hard raced moto. This man is very sincere, level headed and knows who, how and where to promote BMX in an effort to bring back higher rider counts of the past.
4. Dating back to the early 80's I personally have known Ron as a generous, caring and sincere individual who loves BMX and has gone to great lengths to promote the sport at each and every opportunity.
5. Ron has a loyal base of friends, family & peers willing to help him operate a BMX facility if the opportunity presented itself. He and his family are all loved as a true BMX family. (see BND post on this site Melton's are the definition of a true BMX family).
6. Co-founder of Grass Roots BMX Clinics, Ron and his family have been instrumental over the years, teaching the newer riders and parents of BMX the basics from reading moto sheets to competing on the track and practicing good sportsmanship.
7. Ron isn't going anywhere; many years of dedicated racing have groomed him for the long haul. Couple that together with his son Jason that is already a big part of Rad Canyon operations and still rising locally and nationally as a rider. Jason can be knocked down and sometimes knocked out but has always turned adversity into a positive.

Successful Track Operators have a unique set of skills not built into most of us. These people need to HAVE to have the complete package or a portion of the program will no doubt be compromised. When dealing with tasks as big as running a Nationally recognized sports facility, the program is only as strong as it's weakest link. Utah BMX can't afford to jeopardize the rich heritage 25+ years in the making.

All of that said, I would like to voice my choice as to who I see as a well-rounded candidate to take over the task of Track Operator duties at Rad Canyon. From a parent, rider, track official, spectator, etc. Ron Melton is as polished of candidate as we have seen since Pat Simmons took over for Bob Lunac (Track Operator at the Riverview BMX Track in Murray, Utah prior to neighbors forcing the track to be re-located) in the 90's.

Gotta Go Check My Moto !!!!

Roland

Postby guest » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:49 pm

what would you say if rob took over with the help of lowery ?

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:05 pm

There has always been a "main" track in Utah, usually it's been in the Salt Lake Valley. In the 70's it was the X-track in Sandy. In the 80's it was Riverview/Twin Peaks. 90'-95' it was Twin Peaks SX. 96'- to the present it's been Rad Canyon. The track op's of all these facilitys were a cut above the average T.O.
Bob Lunak, The Sleaters, The Meltons, The Tauls, The Harmons, The Simmons, The Hallidays. It's a very select group.

QUOTE -
Successful Track Operators have a unique set of skills not built into most of us. These people need to HAVE to have the complete package or a portion of the program will no doubt be compromised. When dealing with tasks as big as running a Nationally recognized sports facility, the program is only as strong as it's weakest link. Utah BMX can't afford to jeopardize the rich heritage 25+ years in the making.

QUOTE -
Ron has a great relationship with the ABA & is well known & liked by them all.

QUOTE -
I'm a big believer in having actual race/on track experiance if your going to build tracks or operate one. I'm not saying that it's mandatory but it gives you the racers perspective because they themselves race or have raced.

From a purely professional point of view, I can appreciate what Rob & The Lowerys do. Endless hours of volunteering, spending countless hours at the track doing thankless work, the list goes on. I saw what the Lowerys have done in Manti & have very impressed. Bev is a very nice person. Iv'e seen how Rob has spent alot of his time at RC race in & race out.
But....
I can see them as T.O's at any surrounding track in the state but not heading up the crown jewel of the state. Rob showed me a few things this summer about how he thinks & it blew me away. Some of my friends at the ABA think the same. He needs a few more years of experiance in a supporting role.
The Lowerys, I think would be a welcome addition also in a supporting role but don't they run Manti right now still?

The bottom line in my opinion, supporting track OP's, yes. Being part of the supporting cast at RC , yes.
Ready to take the helm of one of the best BMX tracks in the west & not only try to take it to the next level but have the experiance, knowledge, reputation & overall roots in this sport to raise the moto counts, bring in new members, bring back old members & keep the ball rolling?

No.

b.

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:45 am

How much does the job pay? I am looking for a career change.

j/k :roll:

I agree that RAD is the flagship of Utah BMX, and as such should have the best possible TO to run it. The past and current TOs have done a fantastik job of making it a first class facility.

Now, the thing I do disagree on is the statement of a TO needing the "whole" package. I strongly believe that the TO needs top notch managment skills, as well as general knowledge of running a sports program, but does he really need to know everything. I've always held that someone that can see the whole picture, has a strong supporting cast that can be deligated to, and has the management skills to ensure things run smooth........this is the ideal situation. If you are looking for one person that possesses all of the skills and knowledge to run the whole program, then you put all of your eggs in one basket. He can easily become overwhelmed, get sick, situations change in his life, whatever........and then you are stuck. Does a TO really have to know how to build a track? or promote? or run a snackbar? I think it is much better to have someone that knows how to find the right person that has that particular skillset and then fit him/her into the big picture. This way, if a particular person moves on from BMX, things can continue, maybe not as proficiently, but still continue until a replacement can be found. This provides continuity, the chance for long term programs to be put in place and followed up on, trends to not be skewed by a TO change, etc.

That said, I have to admit that I have no clue as to how Rad, or any other track, is really run. My lifestyle and such just doesn't give me enough time to be as involved as I would love to be. I just show up, race, and am very greatfull to all that make it possible.

I just hope that as great as Rad is, it continues to improve. Stagnation is death........so I've heard.

I do think that Ron would be a great TO, and with Roland backing him up, well, it's definately a slam dunk.

just some thoughts on the subject.......dispute me if you can.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:22 am

think it is sad that someone wants to be honest and voice their comments but hide and not say who they are talk about back stabbing. I don't beleive that anyone was bashing Robert all that was said is he is not yet experienced enough to run a track like Rad Canyon. I don't know if the guest on the site has been around for awhile but if they have then they to would remember moto count being 40 plus on a tuesday night and a triple point race would have combined gates with 60 plus motos. Here in Utah we need something to change we need to get new riders and that is not happening and maybe it is time for some new blood that has the desire to push for bigger moto counts.

I think if you wants to talk about the people that are posting are the ones trying to bring Rad down are so wrong we have been there to support Rad and would continue to support Rad. A good track operator can truly make or break a track.

One last thing the some people also need to remember Rad Canyon is everyone track and the one person that everyone is talking about wanted to make major changes to our track and that was wrong for one person to think he could make a major decision like that.

Roland
Huffy

Ian's availability and T.O. response

Postby Roland » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:40 am

Greg, the way I saw Ian and Heather accepting ALL of their Individual State Championship awards on Sunday, I am afraid you may be out of the running for Ian and the illustrious puckering lips... LOL, ROFL...

Although the chances with Ian may be slim, I do think you make some excellent points regarding the future operating position of R.C.

I want to make the point clear, I too think Dave did a great job running Rad Canyon. Pat Simmons took the time with Dave to prepare him for the position and it was obvious that he was the right fit for the time. That said, the rumor mill has been full of Dave turning over the helm and the leading candidate, as I understood it was Robert Anderson.

As mentioned earlier Rob has been very helpful this season assisting Dave. Taking nothing away from Robert whatsoever, he has always been nice and pleasant to talk to. However I too was a bit spooked to learn about the knee jerk reaction he had regarding BMX sanctions this summer.

The group of us that have been around the sport for decade(s) know how important it is to have the support of a sanctioning body. Several different sanctions have given an effort to capture Utah BMX through the early years but only one has stuck with tremendous success. Needless to say, this topic seems to have faded away and hopefully what ever it was that fueled the speculation has been resolved. Structure and continuity is been key to the survival of Utah BMX to this point, I am happy to know that our sanctioning body will remain intact.

Fortunately, for Utah BMX as a whole, there is an individual that is interested in manning the ship at Rad Canyon and to top it all off he carries with him the qualities and skills mentioned in the other posts.

Shipmates are most necessary to operate such a big vessel as Rad Canyon. Ron has already nurtured relationships locally, regionally and nationally. Bringing those relationships with him to the table makes a lot of sense too. Communication between local tracks and programs are instrumental if we want to get this sport back to 50, 60+ motos per night.

Gone are the days of those types of rider counts, however I believe they can be resurrected with the motivation and promotional minds of the Melton's.

Many names of past BMX'ers have been mentioned regarding accomplishments and such. In past years, the state of Utah has produced some fantastic riders that have gone on to become National contenders. While at this time we do have main makers, the majority of the success is coming from our older riders (S. Spencer, T. Parry, Allred's, Melton's) to name a few.

If Rad Canyon were truly going to change hands, it would make sense to put a Captain at the Helm that has the vision to promote the sport to the next level. In talking personally with Ron as to his ambitions, he has many ideas and a loyal following to help him see them through. I will support him 110% to get the rider count back and give Utah BMX and Rad Canyon the exposure it deserves.

I am not saying that past operators have not promoted this sport, however I have watched the motos dwindle in the recent past. When my son and I came out to Rad Canyon, the track had just relocated from Murray (Twin Peaks BMX) and it took a bit of time but once people found such an awesome facility, the membership grew in leaps and bounds. At that time I raced 26-30 Cruiser and there were 10-15 riders that would show up regularly. The same thing happened in several classes. Today, the cruiser classes have 9 Yr. old kids racing teenagers and at times 20+ yr. old men.

If Ron has the vision, background, relationships, qualities, why would we not give the sport a shot in the arm that it desperately needs.

Roland

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:09 am

I will try to tip-toe through this subject without hurting too many feelings.

First off, thanks Bruce, Roland, Greg, Gallo and "guest" for your views. You all have brought up some great points. Ron's resume is impressive and should be at the top of the prospective T.O. list.

Rad Canyon was conceived out of the love of BMX, for and by the riders. Not out of alterior motives for ego boosting, not for waging politcal war-fare between individuals, tracks or sanctions and not for personal gain. It is our "Church of Divine Dirt" where we come to praise and celebrate our passion for BMX. We are fortunate to have such a "house of worship". We need to be careful in choosing our next "prophet" who can lead and grow our congregation.

I am just having fun with words but Rad Canyon is a special place and we need a special person to run it. We have been fortunate to have a great legacy of T.O.'s. Ron is an obvious choice based on his experience and the kind of person he is. You have to look at it like a job interview, who is best suited to fill this position? Rons qualifications:
- Previous track operator experience
- Long time BMX parent
- Long time racer
- Well versed in the rules and regulations
- Co-founder of a successful race team and instructional camps
- Succesful businessman
- Always carries himself in a professional manner
- No history of political conflicts
- Rational, level-headed, doesnt jump to conclusions
- No prior convictions :wink:
There are several people, like Rob and Bev, who who are all capable but who is the best candidate? Who is going to excel? Who will take our local program to the next level? I feel Ron is that person. The BMX scene could not exist without the help of all the volunteers like Rob and Bev and all the others who put their heart and soul into it. I appreciate every volunteer we have.

I have been around BMX for almost 25 years and have experienced every facet of by having been a rider, bike shop owner, track builder, track operator, industry representative, manufacturer and a parent. I have seen it all with the generations of riders, volunteers and track operators coming and going. I have watched all the political B.S. come-and-go and come again. I have watched tracks come and go. I can tell you you who is in the sport for the long haul and who will fade away. I know this thread will generate some debates. There will be a few knee-jerk reactions and to those I will say "Lighten-Up!". Let us discuss this rationally and I will keep an open mind, O.K.?

I am in no way slamming or condemming anyone. I am looking out for the best intrests of the sport and the facility and any of the prospective track operator candidates or any others affiliated with Rad Canyon should have the same concerns and realize what truly is best for the facility and the local program.

I will truly hate to see Dave and Tanna step away from Rad Canyon. Thank you for all your hard work, suuport and passion. We will miss you.

Steve

Roland
Huffy

Whoa !!!

Postby Roland » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:32 am

By no means have I meant to bash Robert whatsoever. If you call what I have said as bashing, please forgive me. I have personally thanked him just like I have D. Halladay, J. Melton and the rest of the volunteers at Rad Canyon. Furthermore, I myself have shown gratitude to each and every T.O. through the years.

If the rumor is just that, now would be a great time for Dave to put a stop to all of this chatter. Dave knows that there are discussions taking place regarding this topic and if they are not true he is the one person that needs to stop all of it.

I only learned that Ron Melton was interested in the position over the past (4) days. Yeah I jumped right into his corner. Time is of the essence. Scheduling, promotions, changes and modifications a big as someone taking over such a large task has to be done in a timely manner. Although the outdoor season will not begin again until approx. April 05' a lot of things need to be accomplished months prior or they will end up not done or done in such a rush that they too are comprimised.

Although I may not be going to dinner or having drinks with the staff at Rad Canyon, I do appreciate their efforts.

As far as cliques go, I myself learned the lesson and choose to sit in a sparsly populated area of the track. Albeit, I am still a interested parent and still volunteer my time.

By no means have I meant to bash Robert whatsoever. If you call what I have said as bashing, please forgive me. I have personally thanked him just like I have D. Halladay, J. Melton and the rest of the volunteers at Rad Canyon. Furthermore, I myself have shown gratitude to each and every T.O. through the years.

I only chimed in to give my personal opinion, not to be compared to political mud and mess. If the rumor is just that, now would be a great time for Dave to put a stop to all of this chatter. Dave knows that there are discussions taking place regarding this topic and if they are not true he is the one person that needs to stop all of it. Otherwise my efforts to educate and offer ideas still remain my perogitive. You say that you are so interested and concerned, show some class and make positive remarks and comments.

I only learned that Ron Melton was interested in the position over the past (4) days. Yeah I jumped right into his corner. Time is of the essence. Scheduling, promotions, changes and modifications having to do with a project of this magnitude need months of preparation. If someone is going to take on a task a large as this, they need to do so in a timely manner. Although the outdoor season will not begin again until approx. April 05' a lot of things need to be accomplished months prior or they will end up not done or done in such a rush that they would be compromised.

Although I may not be going to dinner or having drinks with the staff at Rad Canyon, I do appreciate their efforts.

As far as cliques go, I myself learned the lesson and choose to sit in a sparsely populated area of the track. Albeit, I am still an interested parent and still volunteer my time.

I see your comments as close to meaningless anyway. Why the anominity? Some of the least favorite people in the world launch attacks, terror, etc. all from their safe bunker of anominity.

Up to the point of my last injury, I had both hands on the shovel at several tracks here in Utah as well as others around the west from time to time. If the people you mention that are alone in the bleachers are upsetting the program or bothering you and others in some way, I highly suggest and welcome some suggestions or advise as to how they/we can be better for the sport.

I can also speak for some others that have paid their dues only to have been offended to the point of not volunteering again. If you are a volunteer and offer the help, and the help is accepted. Why mistreat?

Roland

Roland
Huffy

Agree

Postby Roland » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:42 am

I must agree with the last post that looks at this opportunity from so many different perspectives. It truly is in comparison of a job interview. We have all been on the winning and loosing end of a promotion. Regardless of whom ever takes the role, I hope the decision is well thought out and in the best interest of Utah BMX and the families that support it.

After all is said and done may the best qualified person prevail.

I myself spoke briefly with Bev and even congratulated her on Sunday afternoon. I was told that she was either being considered or had accepted one position or another within the Rad Canyon organization. I apologize to her if I prematurely praised her, however I would appreciate not shooting the messenger.

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:42 pm

In my humble opinion, I think we should ALL sit down, in person, and discuss some of these issues.

I totally agree, Jason.

So, dinner is on Jason everyone. Where should we meet? I know one persons biased towards Fazoli's..............but, you sure you can afford that, Mr Gallo?
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:48 pm

Tuesday Night at Del Taco. 10 Taco's for $3.00 on me :) LOL

You can buy your own drinks!

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:05 pm

with all this being said.........who is it that does choose the person to become the new T/O? OR is the position handed to the person?

Return to “UtahBMX”