Pump Track

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Pump Track

Postby Tricycle Tony » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Crazy Question, How much dirt would you need to build a small pump track? My berms will be 14ft. in diameter about 24"-28" in height. I am going to use some of the sod I am cutting up to reinforce the berms. The track will have 4 rollers total, each about 14" in height and 8' long. I guess I am aiming this question at 'Spence'.

[img]Volumes/MacTech/Users/Tony%20Sams/track/track_3.jpg[/img][/img]
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mohandas Gandhi

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:45 pm

Tony- Mani built a pump track in his yard with a sod cutter, rolled sod, and then the dirt in between with minimal extra dirt. You can contact him at the mtb site (www.ride-it.net) and go check it out, it's one of the funnest ones I've ridden

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:44 pm

Tony,

Based on your description you will need approximately 60 yards of dirt (about 6 dump truck loads) to do the job. You might be able to get away with 50 yards. The sod will need to be capped pretty thick so you dont get that spongy feel. Rollers with 8' spacing and 14" tall is pretty tight, you might want to push it out to at least 10' to 12' peak to peak.

Here is a picture of the pump track I designed for Bernie U by his house in Cali'.

Just some ideas,
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

BLAAG
Liberty BMX Team Commander

Postby BLAAG » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:06 pm

Now I'm home sick Steve. :cry: How did you like the sunny skies of Ridgecrest, Ca.? I graduated HS 22 miles East of Ridgecrest in Trona. I believe that view is from "College Heights"??? Does Bernie U live up by Cerro Coso Community College?

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Postby Tricycle Tony » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:24 am

Steve-

WOW, that is a lot of earth! I am having 3 yds delivered friday to start. The dirt is top soil, screened, and packable. It's $21 a yrd. How does that sound for price? I have a little ebook from LeeLikesBikes.com that discusses the building of pump tracks, so hopefully that will help. That track you designed looks amazing! I wish I had that much property, I would do that in a heartbeat. What are the demensions of the rollers? I will only have two down each straight, a total of 21ft from berm-to-berm. Say, how much would you charge for a little track? Call me: 560-8589. I will have everything ready by this friday to start building.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Mohandas Gandhi

Return to “UtahBMX”