Open forum regarding Rad Canyon 1st Straight

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Postby Tricycle Tony » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:54 pm

In regards to the 34' table, I will be bringing my CRF out so it should not be a problem. IMHO, the table takes away all the flow of the track. I would imagine, and hope, that the conversion is a work in progress and not a 1970's, "Bring yur' knobbeez boyz!" BMX obstacle. I understand that the first straight is fast, and can be dangerous to the little pokes, but what are you teaching them? If life is too difficult don't try so hard? The step up from '05 was nice, good speed, good flow, and seemed somewhat safe. Hey, remember I left a liitle blood and some brain cells off that triple last year (just a common frame of reference).
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mohandas Gandhi

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Postby Tricycle Tony » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:55 pm

In regards to the 34' table, I will be bringing my CRF out so it should not be a problem. IMHO, the table takes away all the flow of the track. I would imagine, and hope, that the conversion is a work in progress and not a 1970's, "Bring yur' knobbeez boyz!" BMX obstacle. I understand that the first straight is fast, and can be dangerous to the little pokes, but what are you teaching them? If life is too difficult don't try so hard? The step up from '05 was nice, good speed, good flow, and seemed somewhat safe. Hey, remember I left a liitle blood and some brain cells off that triple last year (just a common frame of reference).
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."

Mohandas Gandhi

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Postby Tricycle Tony » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:58 pm

See what I mean!

Mohandas Gandhi

Heather Allred
Huffy Queen

Postby Heather Allred » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 am

I think we all should be a little more grateful that we have a track like Rad to ride and stop complaining about it. :D No matter what jump is put on the first straight someone isn't going to like it.
Thanks to the Rad Canyon volunteers for all there effort.
Heather

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:54 am

Well put Heather!

I like what Tony says about a work in progress too. What ideas do people have about what to do down at that end? I like the step-up/step-down idea, but the '05 step-up would be good as well.
~Curtis

JasonStout
GT

Postby JasonStout » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Open forum does not equal complaining!

One of the reasons we have the message boards it to have a forum to discuss this kind of stuff.

Expressing is not complaining- it's progressive.

Let's not stop the communication.

I haven't seen the 34 foot table top- but my first thought is It's not the best thing we could have there. If it stays- no problem- if it turns into a step up- step down like at Boulder City- that's fine too! :)

JS

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:10 pm

i didnt ride the table we left early and went dirt jumping. but i think it should be a step double like in phoenix thats the funnest jump haha

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:10 pm

i didnt ride the table we left early and went dirt jumping. but i think it should be a step double like in phoenix thats the funnest jump haha

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:26 am

Hello all,

It appears that a lot has been going on since I have been in town last. I apologize for not being around to immediately address the issues with the triple. I had a plan to adjust it once it settled in but there was an urgency to revise it sooner than later. The intention of the triple was to make it safer for all and increase the length to challenge the faster riders and for some reason it working in that way???

The one consistent factor we have to deal with is the huge starting hill and the speed that it develops down the first straight. It limits the types of jumps that can be used that will work for all abilities. I have made a lot of mistakes in my 15 years of buidling tracks and learned from them. I have also learned that someone will always be unhappy with what is built and that riders always seem to adapt to what ever track they ride. I have been to lots of tracks that had jumps that seemed to be difficult and I took it as a challenge to grow my skills. There is a point when an obstacle is outright dangerous and that too needs to be realized.

Adjustments have been made, now a table and some other ideas are being considered. Some feel that it takes from the flow of the track. Flow, as a whole, is based on the individual riders ability. It is difficult to address Flow for all abilities but it is possible to address safety. Flow becomes more difficult to achieve when dealing with all of the speed from the large starting hill. This is where we are kind of stuck in the middle. The '05 step table worked for most but was not challenging. My goal was to have an obstacle that would allow the faster riders to jump one of the largest jumps on a BMX in the country yet be safe enough for all others. This is still possible. I realize that there will be those that wont like it but we need to meet a common ground.

I, like Heather, am grateful that we have the best facility in the country. We become complacent and take Rad Canyon for granted and overlook the fact we have a pretty dang nice place to ride. Very few places in the world have what we have. Yet people still arent happy no matter what we have in place. First and foremost we want a track that will be fun and safe for all who wish to experience BMX while growing the sport and we seem to have achieved that goal by the increasing rider counts and earning a Top-10 track award.

Thank you for everyones comments as we welcome feedback and are always willing to listen. I hope everyone has a great 2007 season!

Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

BLAAG
Liberty BMX Team Commander

Postby BLAAG » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 am

Steve,

THANK YOU for all that you do! One word sums up the majority of local riders S-P-O-I-L-E-D! That's right, I said it. WE are spoiled big time with having a track like Rad Canyon and for those that have never had to ride anythig less on a weekly basis will never understand. There are many tracks across the nation, some GREAT (Rad Canyon) and some not so great (won't mention any names). All I'm saying is let Steve and others do their thing and I'm sure it will all work out fine.

BTW, if you are having trouble with a certain obstacle or section of a track...PEDAL FASTER :lol:

GREAT job Steve and the Rad crew...keep up the good work!

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:15 am

I want to echo what BLAAG is saying and add practice the section you are having truoble with trying different lines and ways over the jump or thru the section
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:30 am

Anna, my five and under girl, was one of the casualties during the first practice. She blew up while trying to double-in by clipping her rear tire on the second roller. She spent the reat of practice in the van. On the way to Bakersfield (before she knew it got filled in) she told Bennett and I she was going to clear that second roller within two weeks. When I told her they filled in the triple on Saturday she cried.

I guess the lesson I take out of this is that is a five and under girl can attack the challenge then most can too if they have the will. Also, I have learned that if its not the triple, then it will be the start hill, or the third straight, or the turns, or the...

Well, I guess we could all just have straight line drag races in the parking lot :D

Either way, its all good. Lets race!
~Curtis

Tricycle Tony
Huffy

Postby Tricycle Tony » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:36 pm

First, I hope I did not sound like I was ungrateful, Rad Canyon is a great facility, a lot nicer than most National Mountain Bike Races. Next Saturday would be a great time to bring out your designs. Let the little pokes have a obstacle designing contest and who ever has their design chosen, by a committee of racers (older blokes), could win a prize. How about naming the obstacle after them. Imagination could be exactly what the track needs. The jump could even be an amalgam of all the designs and then everyone wins!

Cheers!

Mohandas Gandhi

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Update: I just picked up the kids from school. Bennett and Anna were debating the triple vs. table. Anna now says that she is excited over the new table because she does not have to worry about crashing. She now claims she never liked the triple. Oh well.

So, what I have now learned in to take what my five year old daughter says and cries about with a big ol' grain of salt.
Last edited by Curtis Newkirk on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Curtis

crash
GT

Postby crash » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Having only been around for a year and being new Cassidy and Max get uptight every time we go to a new track. They here that this or that sucks from the older riders and then assume that the track sucks. They struggle for a few laps, we work on one section at a time, assess the fastest and safest way for them to complete an obstacle then they start to have fun. They hated the Boise track in two laps they had a blast it was a different challenge, tight and technical. It isnt good to always be the same. They will figure it out. :lol:

Return to “UtahBMX”