Top 10 Utah BMX racers ever.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:29 pm

"Snarky" LMAO! I think I just found a new favorite word. Al, I'm just mess'in with ya. It's not like I called you the "pro-ho", eh? LoL. :wink:

Yeah, you got me on the pink bike & socks thing. Whenever those "feelings" start creeping into my head, I just pray alot, they tend to go away after a few hours. I did slip though in Rockford when I wore my "Spicy" socks.

"Wheresthelove2"......you can't hide behind a screen name bro, sign it or your post means nothing.

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:35 pm

BTW people, I'd like to introduce Allison "FlyMom" Moll, older sis to the Sleater boys, Mom to Tyson & Madison, former but not too long ago BMX racer that made mains at nationals & got a 3rd @ the ABA Worlds in 01'.
She probebly has as much or more BMX info floating around in her head as me.

Welcome to the site. :D

b.

flymom
NEXT

Postby flymom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:02 pm

Just havin' some fun with ya too Bruce :wink:

Thanks for the intro...... I know I don't have near the info you have regarding BMX, but I do remember a lot of the Old Schoolers.

ali

durst
NEXT

top ten racers in utah

Postby durst » Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:29 pm

What about Ted Tafras?????

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:36 pm

What about Ted Tafras?

Well, he got ranked #604 all-time right between Lonny Dodd & Dan Patterson..... :wink:

Here's the bottom line on this list. After a late night of downing 10 Coronas with a Utah BMX all-timer, it was decided that this list was just not doable. Even though I think I might be close with the list I made, I didn't race locally in the late 70's & 87'-92', so I missed a few great racers that came & went.

Soooo, the format that was proposed to me & I tend to like is a "Time period" type of article. Something like "Great racers from the 70's" then maybe split it up in 5 year increments, 80'-85', 86'-90', 91'-96' OR by decades. I'm not sure yet.

b.

TP

Postby TP » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:37 am

b, I don't think it's that complicated, I mean rank the titles in order of difficulty,nat#1, nag#1 etc. district 1 is cool and all but alot of times it's who went to the most races. in 2001 I was #5&6 in district points and nag#1 on both. so does that mean that the district #1 had a better year than me? National #4 last year in vet is that better than district 1 ? Just like every other sport, how many passing yards for a carrer,how many touchdowns, how many home runs? etc. you just compare the stats and numbers. like they say numbers don't lie. I have a question, lets say you have rider A who only races locally once a week. makes district top ten but makes mains at nationals and gets a nag plate every year. and then rider B goes to every local race there is and gets district 1 but can't make mains at nationals. this goes on for say 5 years. who ranks higher on your list? the nag rider or the district champ? what I'm saying is if you didn't do well at big races how can you be on the top ten ever list? there are plenty who have and do make mains at the biggest races, those are the ones who should be on the list. Is the worst player in the major leagues better than the best player in AAA baseball? how do you know how good you are unless you race the best there is to offer? just my .02. I'm sure the ABA has all the stats, nat#'s nag#'s etc. I'm out,be good,TP

BMXer
NEXT

Postby BMXer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:37 am

I have to say I'm suprised that Julee Lindsay didn't make the top 10 on anyones list for the utahbmx site :shock: . She was a great jumper, great competitor and a staple on the national circuit for all of the 80's into the 90's. She was multiple time World Champion, Multiple time National number one in NBL along with holding a top national number in the ABA. Back then it was all about rider count there was no such thing as a N.A.G. plate otherwise I'm sure she would have been at the top of the list there too. My estimate would put Julee at 20 national wins per year in a time where there was no mixed opens or no girls cruiser class, these wins came from class wins only. She dominated in her time for sure.

She was well known for her mohawks and was a great friend to hang out with at the races.

I know everyone has their opinion but I'm a little suprised she didn't make this list. Outside of Mike Poulson and Julee Lindsay I don't really remember any red hot riders coming from Utah in the 80's. BMXA was the main magazine back then and her and Mike were staples within that magazine.

Great site by the way!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:51 pm

Julie Has not been forgotten & to tell you the truth, is top 10 material. I actually revised the list to a top 15 & she's on it. I just couldn't scale it down to 10, too many great racers came out & made a name for themselves in BMX racing here in Utah.

BMX'r, who are you if you don't mind me asking....

b.

BMXer
NEXT

Postby BMXer » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:12 pm

Come on BND, I know you can guess who I am, I am not from Utah but frequent this site. I also had to race Julee and she had some power for being so tall and skinny. If Julee was going to pass me it was on the last straight about 5 feet from the finish line and she did many times throughout both of our careers.

Take a stab at who I am. Shouldn't be hard.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:33 pm

In my best Horshak from Welcome Back Kotter impression.... ahem...

OOO! OOO! OOO! OOO! OOO!

I know :) And thanks for stopping by to visit!

BMXer
NEXT

Postby BMXer » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:20 pm

Thanks for the kind welcome Jason.

You have put together a great and imformative site, something we could use in Michigan.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:43 am

I know too!!! LOL
Jason M
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

Dave Williams

top 10

Postby Dave Williams » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:28 pm

I was just reading everyone's posts and recognized the name Dave Beeson that Steve Spencer referred to. I met him in May or June up at "I" Street in the avenues. I took some sick pictures of him jumping on a downhill mountain bike. He told me he used to race bmx. Aside from being really cool, he was ripping it up and teaching other kids there how to do it as well.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:09 pm

Dave Beeson won the 16 yr. old Open class @ the 1987 ABA Grands. One of the hardest classes at the time. Here is the main makers, anybody sound familer?

1. Dave Beeson. Utah local.
2. Sam Arellano. Future AA-Pro. Factory Redline, Schwinn, Giant, Mongoose.
3. Steve Dillard. Factory Murray.
4. John Griffin. Not sure.
5. Bryan Reust. Future AA-Pro & maker of BMX frames. Reust Factory.
6. Brian Lopes. Greatest DS/Mt. Cross racer. AA-Pro. Factory SE & GT.
7. Mike Ellis. 2002 ABA National #1 Cruiser rider. Factory GT, Elf & Redman.
8. Damien Bernal. Factory CW.

Dave also just won a DH Mt. bike race this summer in his class also. Could of been the summer games or State Championships.

b.

PEDDLEPUSHER

TOP 10 AND TIES.

Postby PEDDLEPUSHER » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:18 pm

I THINK THAT SUCH A LIST IS VERY MUCH LIKE THE OLD SAYING THAT BEAUTY IS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER, SO HERE ARE MY BEAUTIES.

1) MIKE POULSON- THERES NO MORE TO BE SAID

2) ALEISHA HEADLEY- SHE WAS THE BEST FEMALE EVER IN UTAH. WHEN SHE CAME BACK AND RACED 2 OR 3 RACES AFTER HER RETIREMENT AND THEN WON THE GRANDS FOR A THIRD TIME......WELL......THAT ABOUT SAYS IT ALL. SO MUCH IS FORGOTTEN ALL TOO FAST SOMETIMES, BUT ANYONE WHO SAW THIS YOUNG LADY RIDE, WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY SAW. HAD SHE KEPT RACING, THE SKY WAS THE LIMIT, BUT WHEN YOU COULD DO THE THINGS ON A BICYCLE THAT SHE COULD, THERE WERE NO LIMITS, SHE WAS THAT GOOD!

3) KRIS PARK- BRUCE, HE WILL ALWAYS BE A LEGEND AROUND HERE. NO RIDER IN THE MODERN ERA HAS HAD THE TALENT THAT KRIS HAD.

4) JOEY MAY- HE COULD DO IT ALL . POWER AND GUTS PRETTY WELL DESCRIBE JOEY. HE TOOK NO PRISONERS.

5) JONAS HARMON- HE DID IT WITH LESS TALENT BUT WORKED HARDER THAN ALMOST ANYONE TO SUCCEED, AND HE DID! HE USED TO HAVE TO COME ALL THE WAY FROM PRICE, UTAH TO RACE, AND ALWAYS LEFT ALL THAT HE HAD ON THE TRACK. JONAS GAVE A JOHN STOCKTON EFFORT EVERY TIME HE GOT IN THE GATE. WE NEED MORE JONAS HARMONS IN BMX, BUT MOST OF ALL WE NEED THE REAL ONE TO COME BACK!

6) COLE SIMMONS- WITHOUT A DOUBT THE CLASSIEST, FASTEST AND SMOOTHEST RIDER I HAVE EVER SEEN. MORE IMPORTANTLY TO ME AS A BMX FANATIC, IS THAT HE ALWAYS HAD TIME TO HELP THE LITTLE KIDS WHO WERE NEW TO THE SPORT. THAT WILL BE SOMETHING, AND SOMEONE, THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET. HE GAVE MORE BACK THAN HE RECEIVED, AND THAT MADE HIM SPECIAL.

7) JAKE WALLACE- THIS GUY WAS ALL MAN, AND NEVER QUIT, EVEN WHEN HE WAS HURT AND BLOODIED. IF POWER RIDING IS YOUR HOT BUTTON, JAKE WAS THE GUY TO PUSH IT. HE WAS A GREAT KID TO BOOT, AND WORKED HARD TO BE THE BEST. INJURIES CUT HIS CAREER SHORT, OR MORE OF YOU WOULD REMEMBER HIM TODAY.

8) ARIELLE MARTIN- THIS GIRL HAD MORE HEART THAN TALENT. SHE WAS DRIVEN TO BE THE BEST, AND WHEN SHE WENT PRO, SHE EXCELLED EVEN MORE SO. VERY SELDOM DO YOU HEAR THE WORD ''TOUGH'' USED TO DESCRIBE A YOUNG WOMAN, BUT THAT WORD FITS HER TO A TEE. SHES ONE TOUGH COOKIE, AND ONE GREAT RIDER.

9) TRAVIS HEALEY- HAS DONE MORE WITH LESS THAN ANYONE ELSE. HE WAS NOT BORN TO BE A BMXER, HE WORKED AT IT, AND DID THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MOST OTHERS WERENT WILLING TO DO. HIS TALENTS ARENT A GIFT, THEY ARE A REWARD. I DONT THINK HE IS THE CURRENT KRIS PARK, BUT MORE LIKE THE ROCKY BALBOA OF BMX HERE IN UTAH.

10) TODD PARRY & STEVE SPENCER ARE TIED. BOTH ARE DOING THINGS THAT MEN THEIR AGE SHOULDNT BE. BOTH ARE WINNERS, AND BOTH ARE GREAT GUYS. THEY GIVE HOPE TO THE NEWEST GENERATION OF GERIATRIC RIDERS WHO THINK THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN A GOLF CART AND A SIX PAC OF GERITAL.

Return to “UtahBMX”