Top 10 Utah BMX racers ever.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Top 10 Utah BMX racers ever.

Postby bnd » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:32 am

In random order as to not ruffle feathers. If anybody wants to make an arguement about someone else being in this list, state it.
I.M.O. this list not only reflects the racers accomplishments on the track but their popularity & impact they had on the local & national scene.

1. Mike Poulson. If you don't know who this guy is you need a BMX history lesson in general. From Layton, Mike started racing in the late 70's & made a name on the national circuit by 80'. He got picked up by Factory Schwinn & was one of the top am's in the nation. Member of the first "terrible ten" in BMX Action magazine in 1983. He had the national #1 ABA am. title just about wrapped up at the grands & a last corner fall had him finish #2 overall in 1982. He turned pro in 85' & turned AA winning a few nationals. Quit racing sometime around 86'-87'.

2. Todd Parry. A guy who's been racing since he was a kid but success didn't come his way until he came back when he was in his early 30's. Multiple national winner & pulled off a very rare ABA NAG #1 in class & cruiser in 02'. It didn't stop there, he turned Vet Pro & after a tough start due to the deep comp in that class, stepped it up & has become a contender in that class. Very respected & well known throughout the nation. Winner of the ABA's 1st annual B.S. stops here Open in Rockford 04'. Factory Supercross.

3. Bill Brzenk. #1 district racer for Utah in 1983 as a 17 expert. This racer came out of nowhere in the 1983 ABA grands winning the 17 & over open & placing 2nd in the stacked 17 & over expert class. Factory Robinson. He turned pro the next year & did very well but retired around late 85" to become a pro arm wrestler which he was a multiple world champion. Bill's gate & power were unmatched around Utah for awhile.

4. Kris Park. Started racing as a kid & ended up being a multiple district #1 racer & a multiple national winner in the ABA throughout the late 80's early 90's. Factory Auburn, Cyclecraft ,Mongoose & Dope/Atomic. Made the cover of the ABA's BMX'er magazine in 94". Helped start up the local trail scene in Utah in the mid-90's & turned pro around 00". Made an impact with top 3 finishes at the 99" ABA grands. Very well known to this day.

5. Tim "Fuzzy" Hall. Busted out on the national scene being on the cover of BMX Action magazine in 85'. Factory Schwinn, Robinson & Mongoose. Always a contender as an am & turned pro then went AA before retiring from racing to concentrate on dirt jumping. Famous world-wide as is his back yard. You think of Fuzzy, you think of Utah.

6. Travis Healey. The modern day Kris Park. Been racing since he was a little kid, multiple district #1 & national main winner. Former ABA world champion. Strongest asset this kid has? Probebley the rep that he has of being one of the nicest kids at the races, anywhere. Great spokesman for BMX too, with him having his own website, flynhighbmx.com. Even greater things will be seen from this kid in the future if he sticks with it.

7. Steve Spencer. "Mr. Old School"....this guy has kept the local BMX scene going for what seems like forever. Former track Op., multiple #1 in class & cruiser, national main winner, ABA track builder, Mr. everything.
Kept the local fire burning throughout the "slow times" (1988-92). Known throughout the U.S. & has ridden for the likes of Supercross, GT, Pro Concept & Staats. Also, one of the nicest guys ever.

8. Cortney Green. This kid was super popular in the local scene during the mid-late 90's. District #1, came out of nowhere to do it. Very nice guy & after getting burned out on racing (& other things) was responsible for the world-famous 39th st. trails (RIP). He gets in just on that, the trails became a favorite photo stop for mags as RIDE & Snap, famous dirt jumpers from all over would come to Utah to session this spot. He came back in 99' & started racing again as a pro but at the Salt lake national, hurt himself pretty bad & hasn't raced since. He made a huge impact on the local race/trail scene when he was around.

9. The Melton Clan. If you could look up "BMX family" in the dictionary, their family picture would grace it. Ron & Nancy, former track op's back in the day, In the early 80's, little brother Wade Melton was a former national condender & factory/co-factory Torker & Bandito.
Fast forward to the mid-90's where Ron, Nancy & Jason got back into it. Ron & Nancy, multiple #1 district winners & top NAG finishers in the ABA. Started up their "Grass Roots Clinics" that get new riders into the sport.
Jason Melton, another late-bloomer, multiple district #1 & national winner. 01' ABA world champ. Helps parents run their clinics. Promotes the local scene to no end.

10. Joey May. Former multiple #1 district racer. Winner of multiple ABA nationals. ABA world champ in 01'. This guy has been racing off & on since he was a little kid. Made a name for himself nationally around 84-85". Raced alot of BMX legends in the 80s' & held his own. Got bmx magazine exposure & was part of Bob Lunaks famous "Robinson/A-Team crew" in the 80's. Came back in 99' after a long retirement & was a top dog in his expert class nationaly for about 3 years. The guys gate & power were rarely matched. Super nice guy to be around & always joking.

10. Arielle Martin. "Airbourne" comes from a biking family & O.S. roots. Multiple district #1 & national main winner in the ABA & NBL. Has a reputation for being one of the hardest working racers out there & her jumping abilty is very well known. Utah's first female racer to turn pro & has a national pro victory under her belt. Extremely well liked for her attitude towards new riders & is always willing to help when asked for it. Came back from a career ending injury to become a top condender in both sanctions Ladies Pro division.

Honorable mentions,

The Allred sisters & family.
Jonas Harmon.
Julie Lindsey.

b.
Last edited by bnd on Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:47 am

Great post b! As I'm still a young pup on the Utah BMX scene, I don't have anything to add. But it sure is nice to hear about some of the great racers we don't see much anymore. Very informative!

:D
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

JasonStout
GT

B.

Postby JasonStout » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:56 pm

Nice post!

Where are they now? Especially that Mike Poulsen kid?

Great breakdown of individual accomplishments.

I knew all but a few...

Keep up the writing! This was a great contribution to this site.

JS

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:42 pm

Thanks for the mention b'! :D
It means alot to me to be considered for such an honor. All are worthy candidates and are great BMX ambassadors. My list would be very similar but with a few modifications. I think longevity, versatility and contributions as well as racing accomplishments are important. Some other notables:
Gary Gines - 10x - 15x hot-shoe from mid to late eighties. Rode for A Team and CycleCraft. Known for his triple-triples at many nationals.
Dale Yhoe - Factory Robinson rider during the eighties. Giant slayer at the nationals. Known for his long hair.
Glen Adams - Raced with Poulson back in the day. Former factory Schwinn and Mongoose rider and now works for Specialized. One of the original 26" cruiser racers. Made the main in the movie "RAD"!
Alicia Headley - early 90's racer who probably won more nationals and Grands than any racer form Utah.
Bruce Ritter - Utah BMX historian, fashion-ista and Utah OG. Never a follower, Bruce walks to the beat of his own drum. He broke the chrome mold back in 1987 when he showed up at Coliseum sporting the black/yellow "Bumble-Bee" Free Agent. Has the most extensive collection of BMX memorabilia and Jenna Jamison videos in Utah. Still manages to be a BMX contender with his yearly hiatus' to road and mountain bike but keeps it real by not wearing spandex. Bruce is a true BMX enthusiast.

I have more but I feel these are probably the most deserving, just my opinion.

Jas', Poulson lives up in Ogden and has a littlle boy named Otto and a green-thumb (likes gardening). Still mountain bikes on occasion.

Ride on,
Steve

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:02 pm

Ya know, people are bound to forget a person or 4 & I straight up forgot about Gines....I did remember about the others though. Adams came close. The others.....well do they fit the -

*the racers accomplishments on the track but their popularity & impact they had on the local & national scene. * :?:

I was reminded 8) of Utah's 1st lady pro, Arielle Martin. This is a no-brainer, so I'm puttin her in the Top 10 list but keeping the people I already posted. 11 in bnd's Top 10. :wink:

b.

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:55 pm

Good point b'! Arielle should be listed. There some others that are honorable mentions:
Roland Critchfield
- young gun back in the day and came back during the resurrection to pimp fools but suffered a serious injury. His heart is still in it by supporting the scene and announcing.
Dave Beeson - multi-time Utah #1 rider. A-Team & GT affiliate. Won the ultra tough 16 & over open class at the 1998 ABA Grand Nationals. Probably still could hop on a bike today and make mains.
Brett McGrath
- One of thee most dominant local riders during the late eighties. Bike World rider.

More to come as I think about them. Come all you old timers, jump in your "way-back" machine and see who you remember???

Steve

JasonStout
GT

Peoples!

Postby JasonStout » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:46 pm

Way back when....

Any of you remember

Gavin and Stew Storie? (Monica & Stacey)
Dave Park
"Lucky" Wade Attermon? or something
Ian Elliot keeps over half the riders on the track at local races!

I don't know if they are "top ten list worthy" based on mentioned criteria, but if fun to remember the people.

Who else?

JS

TP

Postby TP » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:28 am

I am honored just to be mentioned!!! there have been some awesome racers over the years. one person who is on my list for sure is my good friend who passed away a few years back, Griffin Law. We had some great battles over the years (1981-84) he was district #1 and rode for Profile. If you look real close on my # plate that I ran in the 30+ BS race you will see a "GRIFF" on the bottom. I dedicated the race to him and was thinking of him after the race. It's funny, any time I have a big race I find myself talking to him in my head. kind of a guardian angel.

Also; Kevin and Chris Slater.

Mike Poulson without any question is my# 1. I would like to think when I am done I could give him a run for the best ever from Utah, but I'm way past my prime to be able to contend in AA as he did. I some times wonder if I could have been a top AA had it not been for my knee injury in 1990? I guess we'll never know. I am again honored to be mentioned b, thanks! TP

D Dale
GT

Utah's top 10

Postby D Dale » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:57 am

Wow!!! What a great post Bruce.
I would have to agree with Todd on the Slaters. Kevin, Chris and Allison.

I think Pat and Danna Simmons should be added to that list They may not meet the criteria in Bruce's original post, but they made Rad Canyon one of the best tracks not only in Utah, but in the nation.

Darla

rob

Postby rob » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:37 am

you have to put mike aiktins up there was a great riders for bmx but is now one of he greatest dirt jumpers, but still gives credit for being a great rider to his bmx racing days.

flymom
NEXT

Postby flymom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:37 pm

Okay.... I must chime in here:

Mike Poulsen will alway be #1 in my book! Of couse, I did have a huge crush on him! Another of my faves would be Kevin and Chris Sleater! They did dominate year after year.... in fact I think they would both suprise a few people if they raced tomorrow! Of course, they are my brothers so I am going to think they are awesome not matter what!

I used to baby sit Gavin Storey... and race against his mom Monica too! That dates me!

I dated Wade "Lucky" Atterman as well.... he was a great guy!

Some more names that should be added to the list:

Aaron Davidson
Ryan Poole
Julie Ellison (I think that was her last name) - she was the 1st Utah girl!

And a few more blasts from the past:

Todd Edgington
Dane Viewheg
Wesley Roosendaal
Denny Nielsen
Darryl Lovato
Lincoln Lucas
Vince Adams
Mike Holder

And another one to add to the list.... Tyson "flyboy" Moll..... of course, I only add his name cuz he's mine! :D

Anyone remember Team Fidelity?

Allison "Flymom" Moll

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:10 pm

One of the things that have tied all my picks together racing wise is that all the racers have won a #1 plate in either District, National Age Group or is a World Champion, just an observation.

Even though some of these names thrown out are legends in their own right & some come very close to making the list, when it comes right down to it, nobody can knock the racers listed out of the top 10. Not only did they accomplish being #1 on the track, they established themselves off the track as well.
Iv'e looked at & reviewed my ABA & BMX magazines from the 70's to now, through & through & can honestly say this list looks right to me.
Alot of very fast racers have come & gone & I recall most. Does Kelly Bird or Chris Seamon ring a bell?
If anybody can give me the facts of why a racer deserves to be in the Top Ten list, by all means chime in, but they better at least have a #1 plate hidden in their closet somewhere to start things off.

I used to baby sit Gavin Storey... and race against his mom Monica too! That dates me!

.......after your post, it sounds like EVERYBODY dated you! :wink:

b.

flymom
NEXT

Postby flymom » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:21 pm

I certainly wasn't disputing "YOUR" list of Top Ten Racers, as I agree wholeheartly with most of your choices. I was merely bringing up a few names from the past. Since I was around BMX at the very beginning in Utah before the ABA even, I thought it would be fun to throw out a few names that might bring up some memories for some people.

after your post, it sounds like EVERYBODY dated you!

No need to get snarky, Bruce. That comment actually offends me! Yep, I did date a few BMXers... which I would think is normal since the track is where I spent most of my growing up years! Duh!

but they better at least have a #1 plate hidden in their closet somewhere to start things off

Speaking of closets.... do you have anything you want to tell us? Rider of the pink bike and wearer of "Girls Luv Dirt" socks! :wink: :wink:

wheresthelove2

come on man!

Postby wheresthelove2 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:47 pm

wheres the love people!?!?! sure im not the best ever but ive been top ten most of my time racin! just sayin that i should be an honorable mention or somethin. ive been known by many people at the track and have made a breif comeback like two months ago and smoked everyone!!! just sayin wheres the love people!?

just guess

JasonStout
GT

??

Postby JasonStout » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:22 pm

Come on- who are you?

I'm rackin' my brain.... Is that you Lindsey Spencer?

LOL

JS

Return to “UtahBMX”