Where did the home page go?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

Where did the home page go?

Postby J Gallo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 am

Unfortunately, the front page for UtahBMX.com has become very stale and completely outdated. I just can't keep up with all the schedules and changes going on at the tracks anymore.

Since the majority of updates are now only getting posted to Facebook, it doesn't make much sense to have a home page that displays incorrect information. And because I'm not able to monitor Facebook 24/7, I can't keep up with the updates to correct the information displayed on the site.

It's been a long time coming, but I think this is the beginning of the end of UtahBMX.com. It no longer has a purpose, and is very rarely used anymore. Posts in the forums are few and far between, and only a handful of people actually take the time to post and respond to topics. I've really tried to put some time into the site with new content and events calendar, but the number of hits to the site keep falling.

For now, I'll keep the forums around until I decide what can be done with the site. I've loved doing this site for the past 8 years and I don't believe I'm totally ready to give it up. I'd like to hear any suggestions you may have about a future direction of the site.

I'll also throw this out. If anyone is willing to completely take over the maintenance of the site, send me a PM or email with your ideas of what you would do with the site. I'd be open to giving access to someone willing to put the time and effort in to bring UtahBMX.com back to its former glory.

Jason

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Where did the home page go?

Postby bnd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:08 am

I agree with you Jason about alot of your points. This site still is valuable though. You get info you just can't get anywhere else. Trim it down to just 2 forums, the main one & the for sale section. Make the home page simple & easy. Let it ride till the 1st of the year then let's go from there.

I still am not of FB & I know alot of people who still arn't & surf by here on a daily basis. BTW, I thought the site looked the best if ever has this year.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:16 pm

So Gallo & I have been throwing ideas at each other all day, I sent out a mass text to 20 people looking for some feedback. 12 got back to me. 11 loved the ideas, 1 didn't.
Like I said, please drop Gallo a message about what you would like to see here. BMX is always going to be the foundation at this site. The deep roots & history are here to stay but if you don't roll & change with the times & your viewers, your going to be left behind or have 4 drive-byes a day. :roll:

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Just for some perspective....

5 years ago when the site was at its viewership peak there was an average of about 350 unique visitors per day visiting the site on average.

It's been steadily dropping since and hovering around 100 for the last couple years. In the last 6 months, that number has dropped to 50.

Based on these figures, and the lack of activity in the forums, it's pretty obvious that UtahBMX.com is no longer being used to source information about Utah BMX racing. I know part of the reason is my inability to constantly post new material like I used to. But I think the bigger reason is track information being posted almost exclusively to Facebook.

I really am open to any and all suggestions to help keep UtahBMX.com around and thriving.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Skew
GT

Postby Skew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 am

For some reason I don't have permission to access the track schedule or video and pics thread?
Logan

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 am

Mixed feelings on this, Gallo. I know the time commitment that can go into websites...

At the same time, I directed a couple people to the site over the weekend... so I hope it doesn't fully go away..

those are my thoughts for now.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 am

Skew, try it now and let me know if you still have issues. I used the same permissions as other forums/threads so not sure why you are unable to access. But I reset each one so hopefully it will work now.

b2. I have mixed feelings too. Been doing this a long time now and I really don't want it to fall apart on my watch. And I definitely don't want to go down as the guy that killed off UtahBMX.com. And your comment is what scares me the most; that you sent a couple to the site. I would expect that anyone who visits any site and gets old or incorrect information won't be eager to visit the site again, and thats my issue right now. I was really hoping that someone out there would step up and possibly take over the site and keep it up to date, but its a pretty serious commitment of time and money, so I'm not optimistic.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 am

I love this website and appreciate all you do for it. I think this is a chicken vs the egg kind of thing. People always used to come to the site, because it was the main place to get info on all the happenings in utah bmx. Lately, there isn't much info on the site that isn't updated quicker on outlets like facebook. That makes fewer people come around.

When we are announcing schedules for a track, clinics, or team related things, we post on both utahbmx and on facebook. We get more response from facebook, but still have some people that prefer getting info from here.

I think that part of a solution may be to have some people who are more involved in the week to week utah bmx scene be involved in the website. I appreciate all the Gallo and Bruce do for the sight, but neither of you are able to get out to the track as much as we all want you to.

One proposed solution is to add coverage of mtb and cyclocross events to the site. That will increase traffic to the site (and drama-go read through the forums of pink bike, ride monkey, mtbr, etc), but it will probably decrease use by the bmx community if the primary issue of no recent bmx coverage. Again, I think getting a few new people involved may be the way to go for a while, watch the numbers, and then decide.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 am

People always used to come to the site, because it was the main place to get info on all the happenings in utah bmx. Lately, there isn't much info on the site that isn't updated quicker on outlets like facebook.

I think that part of a solution may be to have some people who are more involved in the week to week utah bmx scene be involved in the website.

I think those are the two important topics. I totally get the ease of use that comes with Facebook, and since the majority get their updates that way, I think that may be the best way to continue for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure how to feed updates to the non-facebook users, but as long as each track keeps its own website, there is at least an option available.

The second part is what I feel is more important. My biggest pet peeve is visiting a web site only to be served outdated and incorrect/incomplete information. And that is what I feel UtahBMX.com has been serving up for awhile now. I just can no longer keep up with all the information to keep the site up to date. It would be awesome if additional people could step up to maintain items like the BMX events calendar, news items, etc. A couple years ago I flirted with the idea of having the home page just be a list of Facebook updates from the various tracks, but I wasn't interested in floating $160 per year in hosting and domain fees to just be a Facebook repeater.

In the end, UtahBMX.com will always be for BMX racing. Should some other site spring up with other 2 wheel disciplines, there will most likely be a whole new domain name.
Gallo

Skew
GT

Postby Skew » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 pm

J Gallo wrote:Skew, try it now and let me know if you still have issues. I used the same permissions as other forums/threads so not sure why you are unable to access. But I reset each one so hopefully it will work now.

Working now. Thanks for fixing it.

For what its worth, I use this site regularly for bmx info. Among other things, I import the race events to my personal calendar. And what is this facebook everyone's talking about?

Thanks for your hard work.
Logan

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 pm

JAlvey wrote:I think that part of a solution may be to have some people who are more involved in the week to week utah bmx scene be involved in the website. I appreciate all the Gallo and Bruce do for the sight, but neither of you are able to get out to the track as much as we all want you to.

Lord knows Iv'e tried over the years to recruit full-timers to become a Mod or at least a big race reporter. Alvey has been my ace in the hole for the past couple years with updates from nationals & the Grands. Thanks!

When it comes to locals, you can only do so much. I used to get alot of my info from Vintage but as of late, that place has gone to hell in a hand basket. I also really enjoyed putting together vids but as my time spent at races scaled back, I focus on my familes racing when I do go out.

I still really enjoy keeping the history alive for our State. That really is my cup of tea now. I think if we had a full time Alvey shooting us current info.........how did Olyimpic Day go for Legacy? (for example) or somebody. throwing us a bone.
You've all noticed that Iv'e started posting on MTB news too. Alot of us do that now or always have. With the 26in crowd fully into BMX & visa versa, I think it's only fitting we welcome any & all news worth stories pertaining to any 2-wheeled activities.

BTW, just so you know & before you start throwing dirt on Gallos BMX grave, he just recently bought a new 26'in dirt jumper. 8)

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Skew wrote:
J Gallo wrote:And what is this facebook everyone's talking about?

I don't know either, you might want to ask Dave Cote. :P

b.

skicruz78
GT

Postby skicruz78 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:23 am

For what its worth, I also visit regularly and use it to check race/practice schedules. I have enjoyed reading what is on the minds of Utah BMXers as reported by the forums. I understand that the content has become stale over the past few months because of increased facebook use. I very rarely use facebook because my office restricts its use and I am hardly ever online at home.

Skicruz
Christopher Morley
Let's play bikes!

PAPAWHEELY
Schwinn

Postby PAPAWHEELY » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:55 am

I visit this site every morning. It's part of my morning recovery and coffee break at work(all day long). I too send people interested in the Utah BMX scene to check here. For schedules,track locations and used bikes or parts.
I just started the facebook game and am still green at it. If I needed to know the indoor schedules, I wouldn't even know where to start unless I got help from B2. My first instinct would be Utahbmx.com.
I have always appreciated Jason's effort on the forum,especially since bmx is not a high priority in his life right now.And I wuoldn't blame him for hanging it up.

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Oh my!
Matt has an iphone and is on Facebook?
That's 2 of the 7 signs, looks like the Mayans were right after all! :shock:
Like Matt, I check utahbmx daily and it has always kept me informed & amused. Unlike Matt, I will not Facebook.
I hope utahbmx lives on, but I completely understand (and appreciate) the work that goes into it and I do not have the time or desire to take it on.
Although, if it's all going to end in December anyways...
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

Return to “UtahBMX”