New fat guy with a 24"

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

deviant_illusion
NEXT

New fat guy with a 24"

Postby deviant_illusion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 am

So my wife totally surprised me with a 24" SE for Christmas this year. I want to start racing BMX but haven't raced for 20+ years and other then a little around the street after Christmas and before the snow I haven't been on a BMX bike for 15 + years. Really I know nothing about the sport other than it was fun when I was a little kid so I hope it will be fun as a big kid. I want to show up Saturday and give it a shot. The bike has Maxxis Hook Worm tires on it now that look to more of a street tire. I went to Taylors bike shop on 5400 south and while the girl helping me was nice she didnt know any more about bmx then I do and the tires she was trying to sell me look like the belonged on a mini and others looked like Mnt bike tires.
So a couple questions. If I show up with the tires I have now do you all think they will do ok? Or am I asking for a slide out?
Next what is a good tire for a 24" bike with a big guy Im around 235lbs? I was looking at the Maxxis Holy Rollers any good?

Any inside or help full info for a total noob would be nice also. Other then having Rad on DVD I know nothing about BMX :lol:

joeynsophia
Intense

Re: New fat guy with a 24"

Postby joeynsophia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:35 am

I would reccomend to any new rider young or old to attend the clinic that is happening on Saturday from 11-2 at the equestrian center. The instructors are fantastic and you will have a chance to practice alot of gates and track skills during this 3 hour session and Ian and Heather from Performance Bike shop will be there instructing and be able to help you with your bike set up. It only costs $20 dollars for the session.

As far as the tires go, I would reccomend calling Heather at PBP, she will get you set up.
Her number is 801-842-3885.

Welcome to the Utah BMX scene! We have alot of great people in this program and all are willing to help out a fellow BMX'r.
Come over and see me at New Rider registration and I will help you get set up.

See ya this weekend,
Steve Foresta

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:37 am

welcome!

You're going to have a lot of fun. The cruiser classes are not split by proficientcy (the 20" classes have novice, intermediate, and expert-cruisers everyone is lumped together) - so don't get frustrated as our older guy cruiser classes are pretty fast here in Utah. The Maxxis Hookworm tires will be a good place to start. Unlike back in the day, tires with minimal tread are the way to go and run by most. If you are going to buy some new ones, look at the Maxxis DTH, Intense Mk2 microknobby, Tioga Powerband/Powerblocks, or Kenda Tires like Small blocks or Kontacts. You will be able to check them all out at the races. So far as shops go, Performance Bike Parts will be out at the track and Heather/Ian there will be a lot more useful so far as info goes. Other local shops that know bmx would be go-ride, Highland, Lakeside, and Golsan.

Be sure to ask most anyone out there on a cruiser for any advice. If you are 36-40, look out for a guy named B2/barton- he likes to fall over on people... :)

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Postby sspencer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Welcome back to BMX!

You will find most everyone at the track very helpful and friendly. If you have ANY questions just hit up any of the older racers as they are the greatest group of guys and gals you will find at any track.

If you are interested in hopping on a 20" bike to try your hand in the Novice class for your reintroduction to the sport look for the GT tents this weekend as we will have some demo bikes to try out.

Look forward to meeting you and the UtahBMX community welcomes you.

Steve Spencer
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Don't forget to get on the old guy insurance program. You can buy a ton of gear to protect yourself but the basics, in my opinion is a set of good knee/shin pads, gloves & a decent fullface helmet for starters. After you get your feet wet ask the older crowd what works & what doesn't.
I'm sure they have loaner helmets at the track. Have Heather or Ian give your bike the once-over before hitting the track too.

What is your background in BMX? Did you race here? If you have RAD check out "Joe Kid on a Stingray".

Welcome to the site & welcome back to BMX!

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

deviant_illusion
NEXT

Postby deviant_illusion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Wow that was fast guys thanks for the Welcome.

joeynsophia wrote:I would reccomend to any new rider young or old to attend the clinic that is happening on Saturday from 11-2 at the equestrian center. The instructors are fantastic and you will have a chance to practice alot of gates and track skills during this 3 hour session and Ian and Heather from Performance Bike shop will be there instructing and be able to help you with your bike set up. It only costs $20 dollars for the session.

As far as the tires go, I would reccomend calling Heather at PBP, she will get you set up.
Her number is 801-842-3885.

Welcome to the Utah BMX scene! We have alot of great people in this program and all are willing to help out a fellow BMX'r.
Come over and see me at New Rider registration and I will help you get set up.

See ya this weekend,
Steve Foresta

So do I just show up and sign up for the class the day or do I need to pre register?
JAlvey wrote:welcome!

You're going to have a lot of fun. The cruiser classes are not split by proficientcy (the 20" classes have novice, intermediate, and expert-cruisers everyone is lumped together) - so don't get frustrated as our older guy cruiser classes are pretty fast here in Utah. The Maxxis Hookworm tires will be a good place to start. Unlike back in the day, tires with minimal tread are the way to go and run by most. If you are going to buy some new ones, look at the Maxxis DTH, Intense Mk2 microknobby, Tioga Powerband/Powerblocks, or Kenda Tires like Small blocks or Kontacts. You will be able to check them all out at the races. So far as shops go, Performance Bike Parts will be out at the track and Heather/Ian there will be a lot more useful so far as info goes. Other local shops that know bmx would be go-ride, Highland, Lakeside, and Golsan.

Be sure to ask most anyone out there on a cruiser for any advice. If you are 36-40, look out for a guy named B2/barton- he likes to fall over on people... :)

Thanks for the advice Im not really worried about being dead last but more about being in other peoples way. But its hard to do that from the back I guess. Oh and Im 28 so I guess no worry about being fallen on.
sspencer wrote:Welcome back to BMX!

You will find most everyone at the track very helpful and friendly. If you have ANY questions just hit up any of the older racers as they are the greatest group of guys and gals you will find at any track.

If you are interested in hopping on a 20" bike to try your hand in the Novice class for your reintroduction to the sport look for the GT tents this weekend as we will have some demo bikes to try out.

Look forward to meeting you and the UtahBMX community welcomes you.

Steve Spencer

I might. But I have to admit it feel really funny on a 20"
bnd wrote:Don't forget to get on the old guy insurance program. You can buy a ton of gear to protect yourself but the basics, in my opinion is a set of good knee/shin pads, gloves & a decent fullface helmet for starters. After you get your feet wet ask the older crowd what works & what doesn't.
I'm sure they have loaner helmets at the track. Have Heather or Ian give your bike the once-over before hitting the track too.

What is your background in BMX? Did you race here? If you have RAD check out "Joe Kid on a Stingray".

Welcome to the site & welcome back to BMX!

b.

Thanks for the advice on gear to be honest knee/shin pads didnt even cross my mind.
My BMX background isnt much. I raced at a local track in Idaho Falls as a Kid until about age 8 when we moved to Utah. Thats about it. But like most kids in the 80 and early 90s I was on a BMX bike every day the weather was good until I was old enough to like cars more.

joeynsophia
Intense

Postby joeynsophia » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:32 pm

As far as the clinic goes, you can just show up on Saturday a little before 11 and look for the registration table as you walk in the door. I will be there and get you set up. If you are interested we also race Friday night so if you have time you can race that day as well or just come see the lay of the land. See you this weekend!

Steve Foresta

deviant_illusion
NEXT

Postby deviant_illusion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:00 pm

One other question. How much PSI should I run in my Tires?

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:23 pm

I run 70 psi & I weigh 155 lbs.
35-40 psi. went out with the 80's.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 pm

PSI depends on the tire and on how slippery vs sticky the track is. For indoor on those hookworms, 50-60 front, 60-80 rear might be a good place to start.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Everybody seem to have you covered on the advice, And all of it is great! However you might want to post up your first name or you will be known as NFG...... New Fat Guy, New Freakin Guy..... Etc for awhile :lol:
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Wait a minute........is that a home brewing kit you got for X-Mas? 8)

b.

deviant_illusion
NEXT

Postby deviant_illusion » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:45 pm

mackdaddy wrote:Everybody seem to have you covered on the advice, And all of it is great! However you might want to post up your first name or you will be known as NFG...... New Fat Guy, New Freakin Guy..... Etc for awhile :lol:

Good Point Im Jake

bnd wrote:Wait a minute........is that a home brewing kit you got for X-Mas? 8)

b.

Lol another new hobby I guess. Brewing that is...... drinking I have been semi pro for some time now.

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 am

Jake, just go up to "diesel" Dan Patterson (he is the guy in the army sniper gear) you can find him around the pits. He will change your tires, lube your chain, and/or check yer oil!!!

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Heck YEAH! Welcome to the 26-30 cruiser class!
DO WORK SON!

Return to “UtahBMX”