pay one price for unlimited racing

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

pay one price for unlimited racing

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:12 am

How would you all feel about something like an "all season pass" to a BMX track?

If you could pay something like $300-$350, and could race any and all single point races and practice, would it be interesting to ya?

I'm not saying that any track is thinking about doing this, but I was just wondering myself. It just seems like it would be cool to get like single point races from May-Sept paid for upfront, maybe get a jersey or something, and a plaque that you put a metal plate on instead of trophies.

I think it would be great to have a multi track unlimited pass for a set price, too. Say maybe add Tooele for an additional $50 if they only race 2 times a month, unlimited saturday races at Lindon for $100?? A 20 puch pass to ANY Utah track for say $150??

I'm just ballparking the figures. I'm not really intune with finances of the tracks, but it seems like it would be viable, and attractive to racers.

Has anything like this been done in the past? If so, what was the cause of it's demise?

Any thoughts?

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:23 am

Wow! That would be a great idea.

So, what about doubles or triples races? I guess you would just have to pay for them as normal?

I think something like that might help out rider count too. People might not be so wishy washy when they have already paid for the race. And if they don't come race, I guess the track wouldn't care much, because they already have the money (from a financial standpoint, anyhow).

Sign me up
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Great Idea!

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:04 am

"a plaque that you put a metal plate on instead of trophies. "

Personally I think this is a great idea, so many people have huge amounts of trophies already this would give a whole year of "trophies" that woudl take up the space of just one regular one!

greg

Postby greg » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:40 am

The more I think about this, the better it sounds to me. It certainly would open up some new ways of "packaging" BMX racing. Especially the punch pass option.

I think it could be very attractive to potential new riders at bike shops.
1) you get a race ready bike for $XXX.XX
2) you get a uniform package for $XXX.XX
3) you get a racing package for $XXX.XX

Gear it towards new riders with entry level equipement.

Plus, think of the gift giving posibilities that it would provide. Don't know what to give you young racer for his birthday, how about a 10 race punch pass to Rad Canyon?? SWEEEET

Sounds good

Ammo_Dawg

Postby Ammo_Dawg » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:04 am

Black Hills BMX and Box Elder BMX both offered a plaque to their racers. It is a great way for the track to save money on awards and also keeps the single point trophy count down in my kids bedrooms. You would pay $8 at your first race and that got you the plaque and plate for that day, after that you would get a plate at every single point race.

Another thing the tracks could think about (if they don't already offer it) is a "points only" price. Box Elder BMX offered a points only price of $5. That's another way to get some awesome racing in and cutting down on award costs. I love getting just points, my kids on the other hand like taking something home with them and I totally understand that. It was kind of like Burger King "You can have it your way".

Just some food for thought.

Take care,

Lee

Points Only Race

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:38 pm

Hi Lee,

The ABA won't allow a points only race, but Tooele does offer a $5.00 ribbon race option, this is available for single points races only but it is a great deal.

Even if I do say so myself. :)

Diana

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:43 pm

One question, if a rider were to be injured in the first race would he be out the fee, or if a rider were to move and be unable to use the full season? These are reasons it wont work, but it is a good suggestion.

greg

Postby greg » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:05 am

boy, I could come up with multiple ways to deal with that situation.

How about:

1) first 2 weeks, full refund minus entrance fees to races already raced
2) 2 weeks thru 3 months, 50% cash refund
3) 4 months thru end of season, better luck next year

I mean really, does any other sport refund money? Football, baseball, hockey, etc??? Does the ABA refund money because you cant race?

I think BMX is in the position to offer several ways of getting into the sport, and offering multiple ways to compete. The different ways are just not being exploited. This idea of "pay one price" falls right inline with my idea of a "league".

I don't think that these are inovative ideas. I think they are tried and true ideas from other places that we can use and adapt to fit our sport. Yes, some will fail. Yes, it will take work. Yes, things will need to be fine tuned as you go.

I hear all too often on I think every BMX web site there is about how 'BMX rider count is down', 'what can we do to save BMX?', 'why don't riders come to my track?', etc, etc, etc. Well, take a sport that only appeals to a very few kids, do the same thing for 30 years, make it one of the most expensive kid sports, and then ask "why don't more kids race?" geeeze

I'm really trying not to be too harsh here, because I do love BMX and really love the Utah BMX scene. But come on people, if you cant see past the starting gate, then you shouldn't be in the race.

OK, that was kind of harsh, but I'm in a sour mood, so forgive my being honest.

Anyway, I think I am in the minority here, so I've said my piece and I'll leave the subject alone. If anyone would like to hear more about how things like this could be done, then ask me and I'll be glad to brainstorm with like minded people, otherwise, I'm out.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:13 am

I have a couple thoughts, I hope they make sense.

I guess this would fall more into the category of your "BMX League" idea, but also could overlap into the "One Price" idea.

I don't think you could run this through the tracks individually. Since each track has such different race schedules and pricing, it would be tough to organize. What you would really need is a "BMX League" Manager. One person that can work with the tracks, but run the leagues as a separate entity. This way people looking to get into a league don't have to deal with each track individually, they can just deal with the "league".

The Manager (and other volunteers) can then set pricing for various programs that may include things like jersey's, gear, etc to get started in BMX. You could even run a "One Price" deal through the league if you wanted too.

For example, my kids played soccer this past year. We paid a fee to Gene Fullmer Rec Center, and they organized the teams, field sites, uniforms, etc. All we had to do was sign up, pay the fee, and wait to be notified. If I would of had to deal with the soccer fields, coaches, uniform suppliers, etc all individually, it would have been too much of a pain and we probably wouldn't have done it.

I don't know if anyone would be willing to put in the effort to develop this program, but if it could help the sport, I'd love to see it happen. I wish I had the time to do it, it's something I'd enjoy putting together. If there is someone that wants to take it and run, let me know, I'd be willing to help in the background with a website, flyers, etc.

I hope this made sense!!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

greg

Postby greg » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:01 am

well, I've been thinking this through, and I really can see where it can be made simple, or very complex.

The simple way would be to use the already existing team competition format, form the teams, designate certain days that are league days, decide on a season length, get a big trophy or something for the winner at the end of the season, and run with it. Pretty simple.

The thing I don't really like about the current team competition, is the notion of always having to relate a team to a sponsor. I know that it doesn't have to be this way, but it is the way most people look at it. If we could dispell this kind of thinking, and just make teams irregardless of sponsor, age, skill level, etc, wouldn't that just be great. Can't we all just get along?

But, I also think that you are correct Jason, as the league gets more complex, it would need a dedicated manager. If we wanted to draw new blood to the sport using the league, it would be benificial to set up things like package deals, inter-track competitions, coaches, etc. There could be score boards to add excitment as the race progresses, cheerleading squades to get the crowd pumped up, men in tights just to add the little bit of strangeness that all leagues need. OK, OK, I'm getting caried away, but you get the picture.

I don't know what my point is here. I guess just that a "league" concept is already in place with the current team cometition, it would just have to be tweaked and marketed in a new way.

Return to “UtahBMX”