BMX advice for an old fat guy.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

todda
NEXT

BMX advice for an old fat guy.

Postby todda » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:24 pm

I noticed this year that 40 is fast approaching; I'll turn 39 in August. I was thinking I wanted to accomplish a few things before I turn 40, one of which was getting in better shape. While I can't stop aging, I can (hopefully) lose weight and get in shape. I'm currently 5'10" and 208 as of this morning. I've never had any BMX skill, and in general I'm fairly bad at sports. I am competitive however, so I thought I might be able to put that competitiveness to use. I hate exercising just for the sake of exercise. I would, however, exercise to avoid constantly coming in dead last.

So, what I would like advice on: What class should I look to race? As I mentioned I'm getting old, and I'm out of shape. I will work to remedy the out of shape part before I get in a race. I guess I'm asking if there is a class where I could hope to eventually not be last.
Also, what type of bike? A friend recommended 24" Cruisers, he said the old guys usually rode them.
Where should you look to race? I noticed Rad Canyon seems to be popular, but I've only seen it on the web.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Todd

Supa C
Intense

Re: BMX advice for an old fat guy.

Postby Supa C » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 pm

I would recommend signing up for novice. You would be riding a 20" bike though. They are a little "twitchier" but at least you would be racing against other new riders. I belive it is 28 & over novice.

The 24" bikes are more stable, but the 36-40 cruiser class is tough. I would know, I am in that class and I have a hard time even making my mains. I am that guy in the back of the pack usually. I have been racing and riding bikes off and on since I was 10 years old, and I think thats the same for the rest of the 36-40 cruiser class only they are still fast lol.

edit:
As far as getting in better shape before coming to race, I say just go for it and get in shape AS you race. at least that's what I'm doing. I just came back after a ten year break in late oct, early nov '09. And I am still having fun even though I haven't been getting any wins.

Also, if you've never raced before in your life, you can get a free one day trial ABA membership. So, if you can get a bike by Feb19,20,or 21 you can try it out and see if you like it without committing to a one year membership.
Last edited by Supa C on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lee_Geddings
Intense

Postby Lee_Geddings » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Todd,

Welcome to UtahBMX.com! I'll try and help you out with some of your questions. I HIGHLY recommend starting out on a 20" in the Novice class. Yes, a cruiser is a bigger bike and you would probably feel more comfortable on it but the local 36-40 cruiser class is no joke! The crusier classes are basically experts riding a 24" bike with some Intermediates mixed in. The guys in the Novice class are just like you...guys that are new to the sport and still working their way to the Intermediate level. If you are looking to have fun and have a better chance of not coming in dead last, then a twenty is the way to go.

Right now Rad Canyon and Tooele are the only two tracks in the SLC area. Rad has 1 more indoor weekend left Feb 19-21, then we will start the dreaded down time until the start of the outdoor season in May. Rad will practice on Tuesdays and race Thursdays once the outdoor season kicks off.

Best of luck to you! I hope to see you out at the next indoor. Let me know if you need any assistance getting started.

Lee Geddings
Lee Geddings
Team Manager
libertybmxracing@msn.com
(801) 510-5333

todda
NEXT

Postby todda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 am

Any recommendations for decent 20" bikes? What do you need to spend to get something decent? I was thinking of maybe buying something used on KSL to get me started.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:28 am

Call Heather or Ian Elliot at Performance Bike Parts.

http://store.pbpbikes.com/

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

McCauley
GHP

Postby McCauley » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Todd
Welcome to UTAH BMX.....
Rules to remember Rubber side Down...Have fun ....The skills come to you in time ...I first raced in the early 90's walked away for 10 years came back picked up my cruiser membership and a 20 inch membership have lost 60 lbs since I started racing again
still a few pounds to go but the rideing is starting to come back to me the more you ride on the track and in general your skills improve..The trick is knowing your limitations you need to be comfortable with what your doing on the track and the bike..

Relax an Ride .....Having fun

McCauley

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:39 pm

todd, i agree with the rest of the guys here, get a 20" for sure , the 20" novice class is just that BEGINNERS, the 24" cruiser class is basically guyd that have been racing for years and is not broken down by skill, just age so the level of comepetition is very intense, however the novice 20" class is guys just like yourself that just want to get into the sport and itll be alot more fun for you to start at and at least build some basic riding and racing skills then you can always move to cruiser later on, as far bikes, YOUR GONNA CRASH , it is what it is, theres a reason we wear helmets and protective gear, so spending alot of money on a nice bike in the beginning is probably not the best move, you can pick up a very decent race bike for about 200.00 and yeah KSL is a great place to start however see above and check out performance bike parts and you can probably get somehting NEW for about 300.00 that will last you a while till your ready to get a high qulaity race bike, anyway enough of the money and this class that class stuff,
YOU WILL LOVE THIS SPORT!! period, not becuase the racing , or the exercise, or losing weight, but becuase of the people, ive ben around the country racing quite a bit since i started and i gotta tell you our track has soem of the best people on earth, just come out to the track and see how many people talk to you, youll be suprised, when i tell people about going to the track or traveling to races, i always say im going with my BMX family, cause thats how we are, ive never met such an openly accepting group of people, the cote's, the clifts, the bartons, the christensens, the lemons, the list goes on and on ive made more friends (real friends) in the last year of racing than i have in the last 5 years of my life, so when you come out to the track your not just coming to hop on a bike, try not to crash and get some exercise, its another life and i just want to say welcome to the sport and feel free to hit any one of us up and see ya at the track. billy.
Freedom Energy/ODEN/Dirt Militia Team Manager

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Todd,
At least you are approaching things by asking the right questions first!!
I am 42 and always wanted to race BMX, but never got the chance. I took my 8 year old son to watch an indoor race 4 years ago and he was hooked. After watching him race for a couyple of months, I talked one of the other Dads into buying a bike and joining the fun. We got great deals from Heather & Ian (Performance Bike Parts) and joined the 28 & Over Novice (nervous) class.
Fast forward to now and I have lost over 50 pounds, joined the Performance Bike Parts team, won enough races (8) to move up to the Intermediate class and have made more true friends than I ever had as a kid!!!
There are enough "mature" racers that we usually have one of the largest rider counts on race days. A couple of us even started to make shirts and stickers for the Crazy Old Guys (COG BMX).
I deffinately reccomend starting out on a 20'' bike and learning how to ride and race on that.
Find me at the track on the 20th or 21st and you can test ride my bike.
Be careful though, it is very addictive!!
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Welocome to the greatest sport on earth. I can only echo what has been said by everyone else. You need to come out next weekend and just asks the first person you see "can you show me a crazy old guy (cog) and someone will point one of us out and we will have you on a bike within 10 minutes. I do not think you need advice other than come out you can test a few of our bikes and then you will know what fits and feels best. Go the 20" route first so you do not have to go to the school of dallas edwards how to dominate on cruiser class. Forget the old and the fat classification this the only place I have found where it good to be old we have the most fun!!!! See you next weekend I am the guy who looks too tall to ride a bike but will have huge smile because I am having a blast
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Well, nothing more needs to be said here, really. These COGs have covered it all!

Welcome to the amazingly fun world of BMX! :)

scootrrydr
Huffy

Postby scootrrydr » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:55 am

Oh yea, and don't worry about being in last place, I have that spot pretty well covered. I think it's reserved for me every time....37 year old man here.... :D

todda
NEXT

Postby todda » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:06 pm

You've all talked me into 20" Since I have to work this weekend I can't come out and try anyone's bike so I'm kinda bummed. My son has a freestyle 20" bike we bought at Costco a couple of years ago. I rode it around and couldn't believe how small it was. Is that really the size all you COG's ride? I realize his is much heavier than a racing BMX bike, but man, seriously this is the size you ride?

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Our race bikes are set up compltely different than your sons bike. Most of us ride "Pro XXL" sized bikes with a top tube length of 21.5 to 21.75 inches. So, while they are still small bikes compared to a cruiser or MTN bike, they are bigger than want you just rode on.

todda
NEXT

Postby todda » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Excellent, so when I am looking for a bike I should look for a top tube of around 21.5 to 21.75"? That is usually denoted by pro XXL? Thanks,
Todd

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 am

ToddA. There are no races this weekend (unless you are going to rock springs wy). The next indoor race is In south jordan on feb 19 - 21 at the equestrian center. You son's bike is much smaller than our bikes we would range from 20-24" toptubes but we range in height from 5'7" to 6'5" so you should find something to fit you in that range.
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

Return to “UtahBMX”