Frame Painting/Power Coating?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

b2
Not a Troll!

Frame Painting/Power Coating?

Postby b2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:47 pm

I'm looking to have at least one, as many as 3 frames "recolored" and I'm looking for someone who can powder coat for me. I've got a lead on painting but maybe powder coating is the more gooder solution from a durability perspective.

Thanks!

sspencer
Factory Bikini Cuts Hotshoe

Re: Frame Painting/Power Coating?

Postby sspencer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:34 pm

Brent,

The place that has done the most frames in the valley is Steel Coatings. They have done most of the powder coating for Staats and Performance Bike Parts. I recently took my cruiser in and they did a great job. Cost depends on the color and condition of the frame when it is brought in but is usually around $75.00 to $100.00.

I hope this helps?
Steve
Spence'- dizzle fo'- shizzle
UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:16 pm

sspencer wrote:Brent,

The place that has done the most frames in the valley is Steel Coatings. They have done most of the powder coating for Staats and Performance Bike Parts. I recently took my cruiser in and they did a great job. Cost depends on the color and condition of the frame when it is brought in but is usually around $75.00 to $100.00.

I hope this helps?
Steve

Thanks Steve. I called and talked to a Dan there but it sounds like you're getting a deal that the average guy isn't... maybe that's because of you prepping the frame? But still a little better than what I was quoted.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Funny, I was just talking to my buddy Scott about this today. Dave Hoffman & myself are looking to get our 20" Staats frames redone. The two guys he has dealt with in the past look to have gone out of biz so I'm looking around myself.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:34 pm

bnd wrote:Funny, I was just talking to my buddy Scott about this today. Dave Hoffman & myself are looking to get our 20" Staats frames redone. The two guys he has dealt with in the past look to have gone out of biz so I'm looking around myself.

b.
What color, I'm likely just going white on the mini(s) I want done, but I have instruction that the cruiser would be a purple... if we all went the same color there could be a discount. But do we want that, I mean, c'mon... :P

BLong
GT

Postby BLong » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Steel Coatings hit me for $170 a year ago, but it was for the more expensive coating. I think the lowest they would go was $130 or so.

-Brian
----------------------------
truebmx.com

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 pm

Pricing depends on color choice and frame condition when you bring it in. Some colors are considered custom and if they dont have them in stock then the price shoots up. Also if you frame isnt stripped down clean then the prep work kicks the price up too. If you can get your frames stripped down I can take them in when I go in to get my new 20" frame done. I am painting it white so we could get a quantity break if anyone else is favoring blanco.

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:48 pm

sspencer wrote:Pricing depends on color choice and frame condition when you bring it in. Some colors are considered custom and if they dont have them in stock then the price shoots up. Also if you frame isnt stripped down clean then the prep work kicks the price up too. If you can get your frames stripped down I can take them in when I go in to get my new 20" frame done. I am painting it white so we could get a quantity break if anyone else is favoring blanco.

Steve

When are you planning to have yours done, Steve? After Farmington and before the South Jordan Indoor? I'm planning on one frame to be white... maybe 2.

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 am

When are you planning to have yours done, Steve? After Farmington and before the South Jordan Indoor? I'm planning on one frame to be white... maybe 2.

Yeah, I was looking to take mine in towards the end of next week. They take about 4 to 5 days to get them done. If you have another color choice we can get that figured out too.

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:45 am

sspencer wrote:

Yeah, I was looking to take mine in towards the end of next week. They take about 4 to 5 days to get them done. If you have another color choice we can get that figured out too.

Steve

One, maybe two, mini frames in white. One cruiser/fork in purple... I need to see color chips on the purple though.

How are you stripping the current finish?

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:37 pm

One, maybe two, mini frames in white. One cruiser/fork in purple... I need to see color chips on the purple though.

How are you stripping the current finish?

We can go down to Steel Coatings together and you can look at the color chips to find the purple you want.

I am using Aircraft Paint Stripper that you can pick up at most any Home Depot or Lowes. There is also Klean Strip Premium Stripper (gold can) that works well. I recommend the spray over the rub on application. One can usually does a frame but a spare can is always good for tough jobs.

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Steve,
Iv'e got the gold can stuff, I was going to use it on my garage doors but didn't. I can use that on a frame? So how do you apply it, paint brush? Then what, rinse off?
I'm sure Dave will have his frame done this weekend & he wants white. He also wants his forks & bars done. Maybe I'll have him do this Friday & bring them up Saturday?

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

sspencer

Postby sspencer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Iv'e got the gold can stuff, I was going to use it on my garage doors but didn't. I can use that on a frame? So how do you apply it, paint brush? Then what, rinse off?

Yeah, just use an old paint brush and apply a liberal coat all over. If you can do it in the sun and it is a warmer day it helps. Wait about 15 to 20 minutes and you can use a scraper of steel wired brush to scrape off the paint. It may take two to three applications to get it stripped down good. Just be sure to get in those hard to reach places... on the frame that is :P

Steve

UTAH BMX Charter Member

ZDM
Huffy

Postby ZDM » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:57 pm

If another frame done in white would help with your(and ultimately my) cost, I have a Schwinn Pro Stock that I want to get done.
I may be too late though depending on when you want to do these. I need to strip mine still. I could have it done by Tuesday eve.
Give me a call at 205-7252 if I can help.

Thanks,
Zane

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:03 pm

I still have to strip mine, too. Of the 2 I was planning to have done in white, one is still built up (Lucas was riding it this weekend). I checked with ACE Hardware but they didn't have the stripper I was looking for so I need to try Home Depot tomorrow...

Return to “UtahBMX”