Tight spot in Chris King headset

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

Trunions
Huffy

Tight spot in Chris King headset

Postby Trunions » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:59 pm

I just had a Chris King headset installed and it has a tight spot. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:52 pm

You probably have the stem tightened down too tight. Loosen the stem bolt and the head lock then retighten the head lock till the stem doesnt flop back and forth. Then set your bar straight and tighten the stem bolts back.
Should spin smoothly
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

Trunions
Huffy

Postby Trunions » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:08 pm

When I turn the bars to the right just past 90 degrees I can hear it rub. It rubs for just about a quarter turn then the rubbing sound stops. I can get it to where it doesn't make the rubbing sound, but then stem flops a little. Anyone have any ideas what could cause that.

Rope
Schwinn

Postby Rope » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:17 am

Face your head tube most likely their not square to each other most bike shops can do it I think. If not I know for sure The Bike Shoppe in Ogden can.

BLong
GT

Postby BLong » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:59 am

did you happen to check and see if the top or bottom tube welds protude into the seating area for the headset? if one does, it can cause a pinch in the race.

-Brian
----------------------------
truebmx.com

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:47 am

We have Kings on all of our race bikes (3). I noticed when they are new, they need to be broken in some. They are alittle tight but after a day of riding they seem to loosen up & the final adjustment can be made. That's what Iv'e encountered with ours.

b.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:00 am

On the Intense frames like your's the headtube is often not square, and might even have paint on it where the cups press in. Rope is right, face the head tube (also taking all the paint off) and make sure the cups and the fork race are all pressed in straight, then it'll work fine. On that frame, your BB will start creaking also, sand/file the paint off the contact area there too to stop it.

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:12 pm

I give a third vote for facing.

I have Kings on several bikes ranging from MTB to road to BMX. I make sure to face every headset I install and they have always been flawlessly smooth from the moment they were installed. The one on Bennett's bike is an old road one of mine that is over twelve years old.

Have it done at a bike shop and not with a Dremel. Most shops will have the proper Park Facing tool which will ensure the cups seat squarely. I would not think it would cost more than $10 or so and it just takes a couple of minutes. Well worth the cost for a smooth headset that will last for years.
~Curtis

Trunions
Huffy

Postby Trunions » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. When I had it installed I asked the shop to make sure they faced it. At first I thought they didn't do it, it turns out they did. The problem was my stem, it wasn't square so it put more pressure on one side of the headset. I installed a new stem and now it works great!

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:13 am

Go figure: The bike shop faces it right, but the stem company can't make a cut at a right angle? Odd, but I guess not that surprising.

:lol:
~Curtis

Return to “UtahBMX”