Cool

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

shifter
Intense

Cool

Postby shifter » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Well, made the RAD practice tonight. Can you say burnt knees??? I can't believe how quickly you get fryed!

Didn't meet a one of yous, but I just so happened to see a moto buddy of mine so he and I rode. I had to leave @ 7:30 for a friends b-day.

Somebody tell that little tiny strawberry blond girl (+- 5 years old, but just tiny) that she and I will meet again and next time she ain't get'n no holeshot on me. I'm pull'n all the stops out next moto - what a riot!!! That's what it's all about!!!

Frankly I did a lot better than I had expected. I did learn one thing - I need to be running clipless ASAP.

Anywho... I had a good time and my buddy sure helped me feel comfortable about it. Most kids start BMX @ a young age... I'll be 41 in a week!

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 pm

We made it out there tonight too! I need to find me a bike and get into it!

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:27 am

BTW: I didn't realize that the "starter" voice was a recording until after a little while. I thought, "man that guy's saying the exact same thing w/ great timing every time"! Then, I looked around at the gate and didn't see any mouths moving. :!:

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:33 am

shifter wrote:BTW: I didn't realize that the "starter" voice was a recording until after a little while. I thought, "man that guy's saying the exact same thing w/ great timing every time"! Then, I looked around at the gate and didn't see any mouths moving. :!:
Ha! :D. It took me a second too. My little guy was nodding his head to it--letting him know he was ready!

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:25 am

Man - you guys are cracking me up! Glad to have both of you out!

Shifter, what gear & bike are you running? I think I saw you getting in the gate cause I saw two new, middle-age guys riding together having a blast. I was up on the start hill watching my kids ride.

BTW - if the little strawberry blond was wearing red, black, & white stuff saying BMX HEX & riding a blue Staats, watch out for her. She is getting tough and will not hesitate to put someone over a turn. She is currently 5th in the country in the 6 year-old bracket and I am proud to call her my daughter.

I meant to respond to a couple of your questions earlier, so I will now. With tools I always go with Park. Like Mackdaddy said, their larger chain-breaker is unbeatable. It has a big black handle and blue-coated twist handle. Also, the Park TS-2 truing stand is a bike-shop standard that is awesome if you plan on doing this sport for a while (and having kids do it). If not, thier consumer stand is less than half the price and gets the job done. As far as a bike stand, I use a Park PRS-5 race stand. It is portable and has a bike shop head unit on it. I think the design may have changed though in recent years so make sure whatever you get works for you. I think there is one called an Ultimate (not a Park) that is a tripod, pretty affordable, and has a unique clamp that seems to work.

Anyway, best of luck to you (and all the other newbies). I am usually announcing so don't hesitate to come up and say "Hi!". Well, unless I am announcing!
~Curtis

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:27 am

Oh, and don't feel goofy about the recorded cadence. It took me about three weeks to figure out that it wasn't Tracy Giles :lol:
~Curtis

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:32 am

Curtis Newkirk wrote:Man - you guys are cracking me up! Glad to have both of you out!

Shifter, what gear & bike are you running? I think I saw you getting in the gate cause I saw two new, middle-age guys riding together having a blast.

A red Felt cruiser and I ran w/ black Fox 360 MX gear and a white/red HJC MX helmet last night. My buddy was on a white bike w/ white/black MSR MX gear.

Edit #1: My #3 boy was up on the grass by the starter guys wearing a giant gray hoody.

Edit #2: I just visited your home page... I recognized you from this pic :lol::

BTW - if the little strawberry blond was wearing red, black, & white stuff saying BMX HEX & riding a blue Staats, watch out for her. She is getting tough and will not hesitate to put someone over a turn. She is currently 5th in the country (w/ a bike to match :shock:) in the 6 year-old bracket and I am proud to call her my daughter.

Sounds like the gal - cute little booger. Absolutely made my night to see that little thing hauling mail like she did!!! Big 'ole dude (me relative to her) lining up adjacent to this cute little gal and bam! - gate drops and she's gone!!!

I actually went off into the weeds in that moto avoiding another little rider! No biggie - in my book the game is to avoid the little ones at all costs.

I'm just barely old enough to appreciate and more importantly, not try to compete w/ young talent!
Last edited by shifter on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:38 am

Curtis Newkirk wrote:Oh, and don't feel goofy about the recorded cadence. It took me about three weeks to figure out that it wasn't Tracy Giles :lol:

That's why I was stoked when I saw my buddy. We moto together all the time and are pretty close on the big bikes. I felt comfortable running w/ him even if he was faster.

Like I said when I first came on, I'm out for some exercise and to take in the talent and meet good people. Very impressive to see all those kids able to make a bike do what they make 'em do. I'll get better and get over the initial learning curve next year. :wink:

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:22 pm

Oh man! How did THAT pic end up on our site! Obviously Saturday morning getting wakened by the kids!

Argh!
~Curtis

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Curtis Newkirk wrote:Oh man! How did THAT pic end up on our site! Obviously Saturday morning getting wakened by the kids!

Argh!

Knew you'd like that! :lol:

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Shifter said -

"I need to be running clipless ASAP"

It seems to me I read elsewhere that you run clips on your mtb. That's great but clipping in on a BMX early on can & will make your life on the track rough. Until you can balance on the gate with your eyes closed & not shake like a leaf, or feel comfy handlebar to handlebar with others in a corner, stay on your flats for the time being.

Iv'e seen a few of the older guys clip in that shouldn't & it's a shame. They think the extra pull they will gain out of the gate is worth the trade off of overall stability on the rest of the track....not true at all. When you can get a proper gate, jam all the way around the track & feel comfy doing it, your ready for clips.

Curtis - All I see is 4 kids in that pic, which one is you? :)

b.

shifter
Intense

Postby shifter » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:00 pm

bnd wrote:It seems to me I read elsewhere that you run clips on your mtb. That's great but clipping in on a BMX early on can & will make your life on the track rough. Until you can balance on the gate with your eyes closed & not shake like a leaf, or feel comfy handlebar to handlebar with others in a corner, stay on your flats for the time being.

Iv'e seen a few of the older guys clip in that shouldn't & it's a shame. They think the extra pull they will gain out of the gate is worth the trade off of overall stability on the rest of the track....not true at all. When you can get a proper gate, jam all the way around the track & feel comfy doing it, your ready for clips.

I see your point, but I'm not in a rush to race or bang out of the gate or bump bars w/ folks, I'm looking the sure footing and the pull that spds provide.

Nevertheless, you're seasoned, I'm not... I will listen and head the word of experience and leave the R&D work to others.

Return to “UtahBMX”