The other sports activities thread.

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

skicruz78
GT

Re: The other sports activities thread.

Postby skicruz78 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 am

b2 wrote:
bnd wrote:Congrats to all the BMX family that finished Ragnar. D dragged her butt in the house late Saturday night. Hobbling & bruised but happy she did it.

b.

Zach Coon, Missy Hartley, Jonas & Devin Harmon, Devin's cousin Weston and I were in a van together. It was actually very fun--and I HATE running! It's quite a challenge but a good time. I know Jackie Muterspaugh was doing it--probably on an elite team. I heard Chris Morley was on an elite team. I'm terrible with names--but I ran into another BMXing dad at South Summit High School... Who else?...

Well done and congratulations to all the Ragnar BMXers. Great to see some of you along the way (saw Missy just kill it at the finish of a tough leg along Jordanelle and then make the exchange to B2). The weather was great and the course as fun as ever. The Ultra format was challenging, but amazingly fun and rewarding. Once again, well done and let's do it again next year!
Christopher Morley
Let's play bikes!

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Hope everyone is staying healthy and having fun this summer. I have stayed focused to triathlons and running events trying to stay fit for the national championships in Aug. Have won my last 3 races and would like to thank the guys at laketown for their assistance in building up my new race machine. They are great guys and have a great vibe in their shop.

Roadies let me know if you are ever looking for a riding partner.

I will see you in the gate in late August
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:17 am

ICup MTB race at Sherwood Hills near Logan.
I raced Saturday morning, we had 10 guys in 40-49 class, 10 miles, 2 loops. After a few off track excursions I ended up with a very hard fought 3rd. 2:30 seconds from 1st place. I have never been in such a hard mtb race. This one turned me inside out. It had the most brutal granny gear climbs that just never stopped. I need to step up my training ever so slightly to make up those few minutes I'm losing by. This trail had a few bombing downhills that if you didn't pay attention your going to pay. Unfortunalty a racer in the sport or expert class ate it & nearly died. Not sure of how he's doing but here's the write up from a fellow rider on what happened.

"Patrick was seriously injured while racing at Sherwood Hills today. Because he'll most likely be put into a medical coma with hypothermia (cooling the body under barbiturate "overdose" to prevent swelling of the brain and spinal cord), it will be about 48 hours before doctors can begin to predict a degree of recovery.
Crossing the upper meadow at the far end of the race loop at high speed, he hit a rock at trailside and pitched forward about 30 feet. He impacted on the front of the helmet, shattering it against his forehead. He knocked out his front teeth and tore the cheek open into the mouth. It appears his head was forced backward, injuring the spine. Corbin, who was following shortly behind, asked if he was OK, and Pat whispered no, I've knocked my teeth out. Then he immediately fell unconscious.
I stabilized the neck and kept the airway open while awaiting the EMTs. Patrick's breaths became less effective and less frequent, and in a few minutes he stopped breathing. As I gave mouth-to-mouth, another biker noted his pulse had disappeared. Four racers helped with chest compressions, including ICup director Ed Chauner who was racing Men 50-plus and is a skilled EMT. After 10 minutes of CPR we regained a good pulse and spontaneous breathing. Medical help then arrived with backboard, C-collar, oral airway, oxygen, and IVs. They prepped him for helicopter transport to McKay Dee in Ogden, the closest Trauma One hospital.
I hope his friends will keep us informed about how he's doing."

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

TwoWheelTony
Schwinn

Postby TwoWheelTony » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:36 pm

I love to try new things (think, shiny) and recently I have been bitten by the kayak bug. I bought a boat and have fallen in love with whitewater. I love the butterflies it brings on. I just need some lessons on rolling and I will be moving up to some bigger rivers. ET and I got a couple of MX bikes and we have been busy riding when we can. We can ride out of our garage up to the fire-break road (farmington) and off we go. Quick burners after work are quite relaxing. Miss BMX and DH sometimes but new sports are always a blast!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Tony,
That's awesome your doing other things that make you & your family happy. Stop by sometime to say hi at the indoors.

Back to the story of the injured MTB'er from last week. Unfortunatly Patrick was taken off life support & has passed away. I have never heard of a racer passing away at a XC event. Very rare & very sad. I did not know this guy but Iv'e noticed the MTB community is circling the wagons just like the BMXers do when they lose one of their own.

Here's the full story.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10670

R.I.P. Patrick.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 pm

There is going to be a ride in his honor this Saturday the 14th at Corner Canyon in Draper. 9am. Danita & I are going to be there. Anybody who wants to join us for a great time just riding lmk.

b.

skicruz78
GT

Postby skicruz78 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:47 pm

I was at the Mid Week MTB race at Corner Canyon last night and we observed a moment of silence in his honor. They also mentioned the memorial ride this Saturday and the memorial fund established to help cover expenses. Very thoughtful gesture.
Christopher Morley
Let's play bikes!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:05 pm

bnd wrote:8-20-11.1st annual Big Piney, Wyoming dualathlon.

This was orginally supposed to be a Tri but the high school decided to pull out of the swim at the last minute. Doesn't hurt my feelings because I still need work in that area.
Bike - 13miles, hilly course. 5k flat course. Elevation roughly 7000 ft. :roll:

Since this was the towns first event like this & there was hardly no advertising (last minute thing) there were 10 participants. The comp was tough though.
The race started & it quickly turned into a 4 person race for the lead with me & 3 other dudes. One guy was fully kitted out in an 8k tri bike & looked very professional. I was the only guy on a mt. bikew/ slicks. It was a full-on drag race. We drafted & realized I was going to have a hard time keeping up. about mile 5there was a nasty hill & Imade a move, went into a full ou tof the saddle sprintfor about 30-45 seconds to try to break away but those guys hung on. I stayed with them until I got dropped off the back at about mile 10. My bike was just not rolling as fast as theirs. I didn't give up though & hammered all the way to the transistion & saw that I wasn't far behind. As I was entering, those guys were leaving. The ride was as fast as Iv'e ever ridden, redline, full-tilt the whole way.

The run. It was the first time Iv'e gone from the bike to a run & it was weird. My legs were still trying to turn circles instead of running. It took about a mile before I found my legs & got into my rythem. I passed one of the guys at about mile one stooped over & walking back. He was in pain & was having issues. One of the other guys was part of the relay race & his son was doing the running. So that left tri-guy & I could see him up about a 1/4 mile ahead. Istarted feeling really good about the halfway point & turned it up. I started catching him & the last 1/4mile I was reeling him in but couldn't quite get him. He beat me for the overall #1 by 18 seconds! Another 200 yards & I think I would of had him.

What a fun event!
Bruce 1:08:57 bike - 41:29, run - 26:32.
Danita 1:26:30 bike - 48:38, run - 36:26.
D hurt her knee & limped the last half of the run. Hopefully she will be ok for next weeks event.

Big Piney says they are going to make this an annual event.

b.

2012 Big Piney Triathlon. August 11.

They turned this into a full sprint Tri this year adding a 500 meter swim.
Needless to say, I got into the water for the 1st time 3 days ago & wasn't very confident. The swim is my weak link in my Tri so I had my work cut out. The locals here, including all of my relatives & wife are all lifelong swimmers. THey flat out kick ass. I played catch up once out of the water. I had the fastest bike & one of the fastest runs but couldn't close the gap over the 5 minute lead I spotted 1st place. I ended up 2nd place again this year, about 2 minutes back.
D won the overall ladies class.

My 2 goals for the winter, become a stronger swimmer & a good snow skier. 8)

b.

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 am

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HAVING FUN BEING GREAT AT EXERCISING!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Share a Smile Triathlon. Orem 2012.

Long story short, I got DQ'ed after going the wrong way on my run & finishing, instead of taking another 1.5 mile lap. I was pretty pissed off but it falls on my shoulders. Just upset that my training for this event & getting up at 4:30am was for nothing. I was 5 minutes faster at the run split than last year too. Might of gotten me on the podium or better.

D killed it. Won her class & after futher review, palced 2nd overall in the womens class.

There is a sprint Tri in Sandy called "Try A Tri" where the swim is only `00 meters. If you have ever wanted to try one of these but can't swim strong, this is right up your alley. I'll post up a link later. It''s coming up in September.

b.

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:48 pm

triathlon season coming to an end have had a great season winning my class 8 out of 11 races so far. I am looking forward to the cog gathering this weekend both my tires were flat from just hanging in the garage for so long. Will feel good to get some dirt under my tires !!
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:35 pm

For those wondering where I was SCF weekend, I was racing in the Draper Fall Classic MTB race in Corner Canyon. 25 mile, 35+ open class. I placed 8th with a time of 2hrs. 44 minutes.

Anyways, I am planning a Moab mtb trip the later part of October & was wondering if there was anybody interested in joining us. Send me a PM or e-mail or, dare I say.....a TEXT if interested.

Bruce
801-879-8572

onephastkiss
GT

Postby onephastkiss » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:00 am

Hadn't noticed...LOL

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Wasatch Crest Trail last Sunday.
Some of you might remember Jon Argyle (orange gear), A COG from the late 90's-early 00's. along w/ Spencer & Smith. 30 mile EPIC ride.

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 pm

You look short in the second picture. It must be the angle...

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”