Can ATV replace BMX as a VIP? LOL

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

J Gallo
Web Guy

Can ATV replace BMX as a VIP? LOL

Postby J Gallo » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:21 pm

So, my wife had a friend of hers looking to sell some ATV's (4 wheelers). A couple Polaris Xplorers, Yamaha Timberwolf, and a nice trailer. And even though we'd been saving money for the last couple years to finish our backyard (insert nagging "When are you going to finish the backyard Jason" comments here :) ), we (ok.. actually she) decided the ATV's were more important. And last thursday they were delivered.

So Friday, my wife spent the day getting them registered, titled, and driving around town (and then some) locating the odds and ends (gas cans, oil, tie downs, etc) so we could go riding on Saturday.

Saturday morning we load up (with the help of a friend towing the trailer since we don't have a vehicle capable of doing so) and head down to the Five Mile Pass OHV area outside Cedar Fort. All things considered it was a pretty great day. We kept it simple, and stuck to the easy trails. It was pretty dusty, but the weather was perfect and it wasn't too crowded. We ended spending about 5 hours down there and loved every minute of it.

Well, I guess it wasn't enough because everyone decided they wanted to go out on Sunday too. So we headed out around 11am to Skyline drive above Bountiful. It was a little crowded due to it being the 1st weekend of the deer hunt, but it was a pretty nice drive up the mountain. We rode about 9 miles up the road before deciding to turn around and head back to the main parking area. Once we got back there, I did a little exploring. Above the parking area were some jumps and a mud bog. I tried out a couple of the small jumps and think I got about the same amount of air I do on the BMX bike (otherwise read as 2 inches :) ). Coming back down the hill to the parking area I noticed another area below with a couple hill climbs, so we headed down to check it out. Not only were the hill climbs fun (and easy enough to take the kids up with us) but there were a couple trails heading back into the canyon which were fun to explore. After another long day, we headed home around 5pm.

Now were looking for some more "local" places to ride. This late in the season with the weather getting cooler, we really don't want to take any long trips. I've been checking out some information on the Mineral Fork Trail up Cottonwood Canyon, anyone been there? We're probably going to try that out this Saturday or Sunday, or if not, we'll head back down to Five Mile Pass.

I also took a few pictures I'll post in the next day or so (which on a side note I buggered up my camera pretty good, I'm hoping I can get it fixed under my extended warranty at Best Buy).

Anyone else out there with some ATV's wanna hook up for some trail rides? :)
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:36 am

Jason - I can probably find some time to join you. I have a Yamaha Kodiak, and I can probably get one of my buddies with my old Warrior to join in.

To answer your first question: no - it will not replace BMX for long. While fun, I use my ATV mainly for chores around the house these days. I should ride it more often, but I just have too many competing interests.

Mineral Fork is a blast. It is a short ride, but has some pretty steep parts toward the top. My favorite all time place is Five Mile. It seems that place never runs out of trails. You could ride there all day long (maybe two) and never hit the same trail twice. Plus it has something for everyone - from really hard stuff to pretty easy.

Call me at 541-0968 and we can set something up.
~Curtis

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:39 am

Oh - I almost forgot: my ATV purchases were wife-driven as well. :roll:
~Curtis

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:58 pm

My friend goes to little sahara almost every weekend during the summer. He has like a yamaha banshee, and a blaster, I would love to go riding but my parents wouldnt ever let me. hehe. Surprising they even let me race....

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”