Hi-Speed Internet

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Hi-Speed Internet

Postby FLYNHIGH » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:40 pm

Hey everyone,
I will be getting fast internet very soon! I just want to know what you think about your internet (Comcast, Qwest, etc). It looks like we will be getting Qwest DSL, if anyone has had any experience with these ISPs let me know how you like it and how much it costs! :)
~Travis~

Punk-Biker940
GT

Postby Punk-Biker940 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:59 pm

I have Comcast high-speed internet and I love it! It loads fast and has great connection...

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:21 pm

Trav,

I currently use Comcast cable internet. It's pretty fast. I just ran a test, here's the results:

2005-08-24 23:15:47 EST: 3639 / 359
Your download speed : 3727117 bps, or 3639 kbps.
A 454.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 368358 bps, or 359 kbps.

So when comparing to Qwest or other high speed internet providers, when you ask what expected down/up kbps speeds should be, you can compare with my current 3639 down/359 up kbps.

If anyone is interested in running a speed test for their providers, go to:

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

Hope this helps!
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:45 am

I have finally got hi-speed internet at my house!!! It is sooo nice!

One question though, I thought maybe Newkirk could answer it. I am using a wireless pci card on my computer to connect to our modem; I would love it if I could figure out how to get my FTP software to work. I read some of the stuff on Qwest and the modem company's sites, tryed the stuff they recommened, which was extremely vague, and it still would not work. If anyone knows how to set this up, let me know... :D

~Travis~

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:16 am

Travis,

I have the same problem: I cannot FTP to my site via my WAP-router because it has a firewall and is running NAT. I like the security of the setup though so when I upload to my site I just unplug the WAP and plug my laptop directly to the modem.

The other solution is less elegant: You would have to log into your WAP-router (Linksys?), disable NAT, and stop your firewall. Then you would have to remember to reverse this process when done or risk leaving your systems open to the next hacker who stops by :lol:
~Curtis

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:26 pm

Curtis,
I can connect to our modem; however, the only thing that works is IExplorer (Firefox won't, it says "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.1."). Also, I've tried to install the MSN software that Qwest provides and it says to try again when I have a connection... so I am assuming that means my computer doesn't know to use the wireless card to access the internet. Any ideas, thanks!

~Travis~

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Travis,

So you are saying that IE works wirelessly and Firefox does not? Strange, but if IE is connecting then you are connected to the WAP. This is not browser dependent at all and if one works so should the other.

For starters I would uninstall anything Qwest gave you. It is junk. Same goes with FTP software. All of the Qwest functions you can do manually with Windows or your NIC software and have it be more reliable. FTP you can do through your command line interface as a function of DOS.

My mobile number is 801-538-6160. Call me sometime this week and I might be able to help.
~Curtis

J Gallo.

Postby J Gallo. » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:06 am

Ok, a couple things:

What type of router/wireless card did you buy? I went with Linksys almost exclusively, but did purchase "other" brands of wireless PCI cards for my kids' computers. So far they have all worked great with no problems.

Which FTP program are you using? As far as why that won't work, I really don't have a clue yet. I've always used WS-FTP LE and it's been a dream!

Second, a thought about the IE working/Firefox not working issue. I know when I orginally set up my high speed internet (wireless DSL at that time), I didn't install any of their software, I had to go in and manually set up my router and browser. The settings I made in the brower were located at: Tools, Internet Options, then the Connections tab (Internet Explorer).

If you installed the Qwest software, more than likely it changed your IE connections setting automatically. When you originally set up Firefox, you probably imported your IE settings, which was set to dialup. So I'm wondering if you re-imported your IE settings now, it might pick up the new connections settings??

Speaking of browsers, has anyone else tried the new Opera browser? It's pretty slick, maybe even better than Firefox :)

Hopefully by the time you see this you've already fixed your issues. If not, I'd be more than happy to come over and try to help if you'd like. You can reach me at 598.7176

UtahLori
Utah's Girl Pro Mom

Postby UtahLori » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:58 pm

Your current bandwidth reading is:

998.5 kbps first time

2nd time
Your current bandwidth reading is:

1.18 Mbps 1211.5 kbps

but..... my computer is a pice of junk!!!!!!

Why does it vary so much?

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:06 pm

Where are you getting your bandwidth reading from?
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:46 pm

Well I got the strange problem fixed. Aparantly a firewall, that I had installed several

months ago and had, to the best of my knowledge, removed from my sytem; however, I went to

Control Panel > Security Center and found out that it was still running. So I went into

Services under msconfig and stopped it. Then, to make sure it was all gone, I had to go to

system32 under WINDOWS, and deleted the folder. Whew, that's a lot of typing/work for one

little problem.

Next, now I can get my ftp software (FileZilla/Dreamweaver) to connect to my web hosting

server, but when it trys to recieve the directory listing, it is denied. I guess that is

what you are talking about Curtis. I'll try playing around with port forwarding on the

modem and see what I get.

Thanks, :D
~Travis~

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:14 pm

Well, I finally figured it out... since I could not get ZoneAlarm to go way... and since my computer was due for a good fall cleaning... I wiped the hard drive, set up the wireless and PRESTO, everything worked!

A word to the wise, don't ever install ZoneAlarm Firewall on your computer. Thanks everyone for your input!

Have a great week! 8)
~Travis~

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:43 am

Travis,

Wiping the OS and starting anew is always a good option. I don't reccomend it for the average Joe, but you obviously know what you are doing.

Regarding the Zone Alarm: It might surprise you to find out that I do not run any anti-virus or firewall software on my laptop or home PC's (I have to at work). It might surprise you even more to find out that in nearly ten years of doing this I have only had one virus and it was my fault for getting it.

If you are careful with your email, the sites you go to, and the software you install you should not ever have a problem with a virus. If you sit behind a well-maintained hardware firewall running NAT it is unlikely you will be hacked...especially with a leased IP.

Anyway...glad you got it figured out.

Thanks
~Curtis

FLYNHIGH
Flynhighbmx Webmaster

Postby FLYNHIGH » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:50 pm

Here's my results on dslreports.

Qwest DSL
-----
2005-09-27 20:48:41 EST: 1266 / 745
Your download speed : 1296727 bps, or 1266 kbps.
A 158.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 763407 bps, or 745 kbps.
-----

Not as fast as Comcast, but it's a heck of a lot faster than dial-up!!!
~Travis~

Curtis Newkirk
Photog Extraordinaire

Postby Curtis Newkirk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:07 am

This is at work. Sick:

2005-09-28 12:03:18 EST: 5957 / 6603
Your download speed : 6100587 bps, or 5957 kbps.
A 744.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 6761734 bps, or 6603 kbps.

Of course, we have multiple OC-3's to the d-mark, Gigabit to the closet, and 100Mbps to the desktop. What is unusual is the faster upload, but I would imagine the OC-3's are synchronous.
~Curtis

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”