Needed: Stuff done at my house...

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

b2
Not a Troll!

Needed: Stuff done at my house...

Postby b2 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 pm

We want to add-on to the house and do a little inside remodeling. Anyone here "in the know" or have a good reference?

Also want a tree remover and maybe fence person too...

We're in Holladay (4500 S. & Highland area).

thanks.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Sun May 04, 2008 9:16 pm

So what excatly are you looking to do?

Iv'e taught myself to do just about everything that is everything when it comes to home remodeling. Last month I replaced all of our windows, re-trimmed & paintedmost of the outside of the house. Iv'e built 2 fences that I take great pride in, 150ft' length in total. Built a 12x25ft' shed last year, nicer than any tough shed Iv'e seen.
What I'm getting at is anybody with common sense can do any of these things too.

Iv'e got friends in trades but finding time right now is darn near impossible.

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:39 pm

We have a plain old '50s rambler with a walk-out basement. We'd like to take the back of the house out a ways to make a master suite that actually has some room--houses built in the 50s are 'cozy' to say the least. Want to expand the living room upstairs and add on a deck. Pushing the back of the house out would also increase the basement space--which is finished now--but I don't know what we'd do with that right away. Would like a little something on the front of the house to make it look semi-craftsman-like... a covered porch, them neato pillars, etc. Maybe something done with the too small-ish kitchen.

All of this would take some good re-working of the HVAC, electrical and plumbing.

These things I'm not into trying to tackle myself.

We've got some junker trees that need to come down, then re-landscape the front a bit. One of the trees is between us and the neighbor and pretty tall, I'd prefer pros handle that one, but the others I could do if I had to, but I've been saying that for about 3 years now.

We have a couple stumps that need removed. I've been contemplating renting a stump grinder but if I have tree pros come, I could just have them do all the work on such. One of those stumps is pushing out our rear fence--so that stump has to go. Then, depending on all the budgety-type stuff, the rear fence could be put back (it's a poopy old chain link) or we could start with something new.

I'm already planning to do me a new shed. The one I have is chock full and it would be demolished when a new one is in place.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon May 05, 2008 5:33 pm

You need to hire a general contractor for your remodel.

A few helpful hints that you might or might not already know.
- Your going to have to get a blueprint made up so you can show your contractors. Your going to have to take them (the prints) to the County so the inspector can look them over & give them his seal of approval. We had to do this with our addition.

- Get 3 bids or estimates from General contractors. Get REFERRALS!! If the contractor can not or will not provide a half dozen of these, don't do business with them. A good GC should have subs (plumbers, elect, ect) already in place so you really shoudn't have to deal with finding a decent one on your own.

- Make sure proper permits are taken out & during every inspection feel free to walk thru with them & ask questions. I can't even begin to tell you the horror stories I've seen & heard about with the homeowner getting screwed in the end because they didn't ask questions & had to settle for minimum code requirements of shoddy workmanship that got past the inspector. Get involved!

- The best show on TV for me is "Holmes on Homes" on Discovery Home Channel. This guy comes into remodels gone wrong & fixes them the way they should of been from the start. After a few of these shows you will be hooked & will learn ALOT in a short amount of time. I've learned how to properly seal a wall(s), build roofs, seal foundations, ect just from watching this show.

- I would let the pro tree guys tackle the trees & stumps. Last month I decided to take out the stump in my front yard. It took me 6 freaking hours almost none stop to get it out. Absolutly not worth the tore up back & soreness that follows for days.

If you need more advice, I know Gallo just went thru a basement remodel & was happy for the most part. Feel free to ask more questions & i'll do my best to answer them.

b.

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Mon May 05, 2008 6:52 pm

excellent info! Thanks Senor b. (that's my Cinco de Mayo flair...)

I wondered if I'd need a general for this... if anyone has one they like, I'd love to hear from you.

Otherwise, a Googling I will go...

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”