father/son project going on here -- '65 Mustang

Any topic you want. Put your suit on and enjoy the bubbles. Just don't make your own!

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

father/son project going on here -- '65 Mustang

Postby greg » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:49 am

Hey all,
Just thought I'd start a little thread about me and Spencer's adventures with a 1965 Mustang coupe that we are rebuilding. Don't know that anyone will be interested, but it may give you guys some insight into the ol' Prawitt household and it's goin's on.

So, a couple of months ago, I found a 1965 Mustang coupe on Ebay. It seemed to be a decent car, but was basically just a shell. It was born and raised in California, so I thought it had a good chance of being a relatively rust free car. From all of the pictures it seemed to be in great shape, although ugly'd up with primer, odd wheels, no front end sheetmetal, etc.

I bid on the car what I thought would be a low-ball bid of $900. What do ya know.....I got it. Now I just had to get a trailer to Cali to pick her up. So, me, my wife Tonya, kids Spencer, Tessa, and Connor loaded up the truck and off we went to pick up the prize. My heart was pounding the whole way with anticipation. I've owned a few 60's era cars when younger, and wanted so bad to share my love of the automobile with my family. It's been ALONG time since I was at a place where I thought I could practically rebuild another car. Life just seemed to always get in the way for so many years.

So, we arrived in Stockton at dusk after driving straight through. There was the car, sitting there in all of it's former glory. I gave it a quick once over, and it appeared to be just as I had hoped. Very minimal rust, straight body panels, floor boards had already been replaced, etc. Looked good, so i paid the man, loaded it on the flat bed, and headed back home.

It was a great feeling having the car. You would not believe how many looks, thumbs up, etc I got on the way home. It was kind of funny seeing as how the car really was just UGLY as it sat. I guess people just like the old Mustangs and maybe the memories that it might bring back.

I'll get some pic's uploaded soon to post and show the shape it was/is in. I'll post more tonight on the progress we have made so far.

Post your thoughts if you want. Anybody have any classics in their garages? Anybody a body and fender man, machinist, etc, that may be able to lend some expertise here and there?
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:31 pm

very cool! I LOVE 60's cars. I'm more of a Camaro guy (especially '67 and '68 ) but do really like some of the Mustangs too. My wife has really taken a liking to the 'stangs also--specifically the early years like yours--maybe up to '67 (i'm not as clear on them as the camaro). Yours isn't a fast back then, is it?

My dad has a '70.5 Z28--all it needs is paint and a dash. I really wish he'd get it done.

I have a '65 VW Sundial Camper Conversion in my garage not being loved like it should and came really close to selling it this past Spring.

Bring on the PIX!
Last edited by b2 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extreme Team Coach
GHP

Postby Extreme Team Coach » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 pm

Greg good luck with the mustang they are way cool cars i need to get in to some of the mid to late 60's car collection ive started a older ford collection like 39 merc convert, 40 coupe, 51 vic, 54 glass top and a couple others ya just when everyone has me as a total dodge guy hu ? well dont tell anyone k :lol: :lol: :lol: well ill tell ya thats one of the best things you can do with Spencer that stuff will stick with him for life my dad helped me build a car at 15 and i hope to build cars with my boys when they are ready ! GOOD STUFF !!!!!!! WAY COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2010 ABA NATIONAL #1 TROPHY TEAM

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:11 am

b2 - I love 1st generation Camaros, too. I've owned a couple of those in the past.... a '69 and a '67. It's funny how Camaros have pretty much gone missing though. I see early mustangs being driven as daily driver ALL the time, but NEVER a Camaro. I dont know how long it's been since I seen a Camaro on the road.

The 'stang me and Spencer are working on is a coupe. Just a basic model, but it is a V8 car.

WB - Love to see some of the cars you have...especially that 54 glass top....way cool car.

OK - as promised...here are the pics.

In Cali after we got her trailered.

How she sits right now - front view

Side view

Cowl area that I'm in the middle of repairing. It's drilled and ready to be lifted off at this stage.

What I found after lifting off the upper cowl. 40 years of debris and rust. Pretty typical of early Mustangs.

I'll post more pics as things progress.
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:14 pm

very cool! keep us updated!

Return to “UtahBMX Hot Tub”