Legacy wrap-up race report. July 18th.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Legacy wrap-up race report. July 18th.

Postby bnd » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 pm

For some reason driving home from the track at 11pm Saturday night, Styx's song "The Best of Times" kept popping thru my brain as I soaked up the nights event & racing action. I know I have some really good BMX memories from times past, especially from the SLC Indoor days & the late 00's Deseret Peak Saturday nights but I had a hard time not comparing last nights event with those, it was that good.
Again, as our season moves along, we could not do this without our solid volunteers that have stepped up to help. It's pretty awesome at this point that people know their role & take it upon themselves to get it done. I will never get tired giving props to each & everyone of them, thanks!

- We had our first major crash/injury Saturday night. There was a pile up in the 1st round in the older 20" class. The kid that got the worst of it was Gavin Smith. He was one the ground for awhile & in a lot of pain. Farmington Fire Dept was called in & the Paramedics did their job & got him out of there, all to the claps & cheers to both the rider & the FD. We have a pretty well round crew of people that are used to emergency situations on our board & at the track, rest assured that there are level headed & competent people there when the need arises when something like this unfortunately happens.

- We presented our first move up award to Benson Roubinet, he just turned intermediate.

- The Ervins, Arlene & Mike were visiting from Colorado. It was nice seeing them again even though they had to split after the 1st moto's. They lived here for quite sometime & had a pretty big team. Good people that have supported BMX for a long time. Thanks for showing up.

- The issues that were plaguing us last race, we got a handle on & thankfully, the crowd didn't have to put up with my sub-par announcing skills. The wireless mics, the walkie-talkies & firehose water all worked great. Knock on wood.

- Iv'e got to give a shout out to the gal who belted out the National Anthem, Jen Silver, WOW, well done if your reading this & thank you.

- To all the fans reading this & attended, thanks for doing a much better job social distancing in the stands. I know the shady part is where everybody wants sit but we can't be packed in there. I saw an EZ-UP in the stands so feel free to bring yours & set it up.

- I know early on in the season (last month) I was calling out people who do race or haven't raced yet, to come on up. I do understand that we are living in a pandemic & while some feel totally comfortable hanging out in a group or in staging, others can't or won't for any number of reasons. I want to be clear that I GET IT & totally understand! I'll never judge people for their personal beliefs, that's for sure, but I want you to know that we miss you & are still thinking of ya when your not in attendance.

- The track is getting some work this week. On Wednesday afternoon we are taking a skid steer to the 2nd jump on the 3rd straight & totally building another obstacle. The table coming out of the 1st turn is getting a makeover. The whole track is getting re-rolled. Some of these little issues were big issues to us. We want to make this track the best we can make it, esp. with the SCQ coming up in a few weeks.

Big Ripper Summer Series race #3.
Wow, semi's, yeah baby!
3 groups of 5, two groups of 6 in the semi, 8 person main.

We did something new in staging, instead of being locked into your moto & racing the same riders each time, I put everybody's name on a ticket & each round, randomly picked names for each moto & semi. It added a lot more anticipation in staging & fun for all of us. I'm going to keep it.
I made my main & with lane 3 I had the Oblad ladies on the inside of me & Doc in lane 4. I was sweating the fact that I HAD so get a good snap or I'm getting shut down.
Gate drops & Alvey bonks the gate & I have Breanna by a wheel. Going into the 1st turn Zach, coming from lane 7 obviously put it all togethe, has the lead & is pulling away. Alvey high-lows me coming out of the 1st turn & passes me heading down the 2nd straight. This is where it gets interesting.........I decided to go for the inside jumping into the corner, I did a perfect dead sailor as I launched, landed weird & ran right up into Doc. We make contact.....hard, but he doesn't move, we make contact again, nobody has crashed yet......coming out of the turn I finally pull myself off him, he has his speed & I'm left to butcher up the rest of my lap, barley holding off the Oblad gals. Russ, Kevin & Gavin round out the finish.
Doc officially joins Ian Elliot as another guy that won't budge when you put a body on him. So I totally blew it on another level in the main, I had my GoPro on my chest but once I got my lane assignment, I forgot to turn it on because of the whole "Oh crap, I'd better get a great start" thing. Uugh!

So I'm tweeking the overall title rules, I got the blessing of the reigning champion on this so it doesn't look like I'm moving the goal posts to make it harder to win this title.

*Your 3 BEST finishes plus the final (straight points) are only counted. You HAVE to show up to the finals though.*

* Since the Series Championship really does end up coming down to 2-5(?) riders at the end, I'm going to have a prize drawing for the rest of us. If you finish in the top 10 (3 best finishes + finals), you will be eligible to win a $200 dollar gift certificate to Cabela's. I will post this up over in the "Points" section also. This will keep racers something to gun for even if they are out of the running for the overall. Sound good?

Thanks for reading,
b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

dylmunchy
Schwinn

Re: Legacy wrap-up race report. July 18th.

Postby dylmunchy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Man, I hope there's enough races left once I get back to be a contender. :P
They say there's more to life than a BMX bike....

Return to “UtahBMX”