Riders that we have lost.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Riders that we have lost.

Postby bnd » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:22 pm

“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 pm

Scott Browns father Bob, passed away Feb. 14th, 2019.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltlaketribune/obituary.aspx?n=bob-brown&pid=191564803

This one hits home bigtime for me personally. Scott Brown is a life long buddy & was part of my teen BMX crew in the early 80's. We went to Alta High school together, raced & hung out. Typical for teens racing BMX & usually having their parents at the races too. Bob was one hell of a guy. He just was this cool, quiet type of dude & really friendly. I was telling Scott recently some stories I vividly recalled when he called telling me Bob was on his way out.
This was at a race, had to be Fall/Winter of 1984, indoor racing at the Beef Barn. I was in a horrible slump in 17 expert & DNQ for about a month or more. One more race & one more getting my ass handed to me in the 3rd moto, I walked back to our seats & sat down next to Bob. Bob asked me what went wrong & I think I just blew him off. I noticed he was drinking a California Cooler & gazed I at it maybe for a second too long when he said, "Wanna beer?"
Now mind you, I was as straight as they came back then & never had even tasted an alcoholic drink all but once in my life but in that moment I said sure. He cracked one open for me & we proceeded to drown in my sorrows together. Different times & era......I will NEVER forget that moment till I die & that's just one story I have of Bob. He also somehow crammed a whole carload of extra bikes, gear & people into his full-size Ford Bronco when my Mom's car died after the Autorama BMX race.
All I can say to this generation of BMX parents, make it memorable for your racer, don't take it too seriously, take pictures & be there for your kids buddies when the chips are down, they probably won't forget it.

R.I.P. Booger!
b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:06 am

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Last Friday, great friend, great guy, great family man, Brad Nelson unexpectedly passed away.
His Obit was posted today. A celebration of life is this Thursday, if you knew Brad, please try to make it.

https://www.goffmortuary.com/notices/Brad-Nelsen

I'm going to add to this post as time goes on, stay tuned.

b.

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:21 am

Last Wednesday, we lost Dani (Danielle) Donner Workman.

IMG_4093.JPG

Dani (Danielle) Donner Workman (04/06/89 - 11/13/19) was a young woman with sparkling eyes and golden hair. She was a fiercely-burning bright star in many lives — giving of herself at home and at work in the health care industry; helping her fellow human beings with an astonishing level of care and humility. In her last selfless act, Dani made the decision to be an organ donor. Still in death, as she did in life, Dani continues to give and spark joy.

This is a sad time for everyone who knew Dani, but she would be so mad if we didn’t touch on how fun-loving, spunky, and hilarious she was. She was a freakin’ delight and had a sense of humor that could make anyone giggle. Dani was a serious and talented BMX-er, along with her brother, Nick, throughout junior and high school. She loved to write and was also extremely interested in conspiracy theories. And if anybody asked why something happened, the answer was “it was aliens”.

She lived for supporting her son through everything he put his mind to and was always excited to watch him play soccer. She loved her husband and best friend, Jeremy, immensely. Their sweet dog, Nakita, was always a source of joy for her.

Having grown up in a small, but loving family on both the Donner and Johnson sides, she was ecstatic to find support and encouragement from the Workman family after meeting her husband. She loved being apart of a big family dynamic and her family members became a supportive team that saw her through thick and thin.

Dani had an out-of-this-world smile that could light up any room and such a bubbly demeanor that you couldn’t help but want to be around her. We learned so many important lessons from Dani. She was unapologetically herself and spoke openly about living with Bipolar Disorder. She wanted to do what she could to heal herself and educate the world about mental health in the process. She did this by writing her story in the book, “Beautiful Bipolar” which combined her love of writing with documenting her mental health.

Dani is survived by her husband, Jeremy, their son, Brayden, her mom, Janel Shields, her dad, Dan Donner, her stepdad, Dan Shields, her mother-in-law, Terrie Workman, her father-in-law, Cory Workman, her brother, Nick Donner, her siblings through marriage, Carrie & Cheyenne Lund, Cory Jr. Workman, Steven & Rachel Workman, her grandma, Diana Johnson, her oma, Eva Donner, her grandma, Kae Munger, her grandma-in-law, Trudy Jentzsch, her aunt and uncle, Suzanne & Eric Nikolaisen, her aunt, Jo Anne Johnson, her aunt, KaeLynn Munger, her uncle and aunt, Paul & Megan Munger, her uncle, David Munger, her cousins, Emily & Taz Nikolaisen-Quayle, five nephews, four nieces, and many cousins.

Dani is preceded in death by her grandpa, Henry J. Johnson, Jr., her opa, Seigfried Donner, her grandpa, Larry Munger, her grandpa-in-law, Raymond Jentzsch, her uncle, Jeff Johnson, and her aunt, Dagmar Donner.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that you buy Brayden a book and remember Dani’s family. Donations may be made in her name to bipolar research at https://ibpf.org/donate.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 am

Deanna Sleater, mother of Ally, Kevin & Chris passed away. Mike & Deanna were dedicated to the sport & were longtime track operators.
One of the nicest, kindest ladies Iv'e had the pleasure of knowing.

https://www.memorialutah.com/obituary/holladay-cottonwood/deanna-anderson-sleater/?fbclid=IwAR3jHgX6cQpuoVFVSvwRVasY7lyI7FfZgFKGjuFanBhdTtzC3gJ3MCSAeK8

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Steve Oblad passes. April 8th, 2020.

When we lose someone we love we must learn not to live without them, but to live with the love they left behind.
My heart is broken and will be for along time.
I’ve typed this up and deleted it about a thousand times not knowing the right things to say.
On Wednesday April 8th, I lost my best friend my grandpa Steve.
I’m still in disbelief and shock to say the least.
I find comfort knowing that his reunion with my dad was so special, and I can just picture the two of them together now which I know makes my grandpa so happy. There is no question that I loved him, and that he loved me more than anything. He was my entire world and I was his, and we both knew that. He was the most special and kind hearted person I have ever met, and he touched so many peoples lives and that will live on forever. I’ll miss our everyday talks and our monthly lunch dates.
I’ll miss your hugs and your beautiful smile.
You never let met forget how proud you were of me and you always believed in me.
You were my person and I’ll miss you forever grandpa. I’m blessed to have a lifetime full of memories with you
- Brooke Oblad Medina.

On my wedding day as the wedding party walked down the aisle, we patiently waited at the end for our turn to walk together. We sat there and looked at the view and shared the most magical moment. You told me how beautiful I looked, how proud you are of me, how happy it made you watching me marry the man of my dreams, and how you knew my dad was standing on my other side holding my arm walking with us. My eyes filled up with tears and I jokingly told you I've been trying to hold myself together all day and your comment was going to make me lose it. I looked at you and said I promised myself I wouldn't "ugly cry" as I was walking down the aisle because I was worried about looking good in the pictures. You told me I always look beautiful and crying wouldn't change that. We shared a good laugh as we turned the corner and I immediately burst into tears and cried the whole way down the aisle. I will hold this memory in my heart for the rest of time.
I feel empty, my heart is broken, and I miss you so much already it physically hurts. Life will never be the same without you. Ride in Paradise Grandpa.
- Breanna Oblad Anderson.

For those that don't know, Steve Oblad passed away last Wednesday. On the heels of Deanna Sleaters passing, this has been a very challenging time for a lot of loved ones & friends.
I was away & didn't find out until 4 days later & it was a real gut punch to tell you the truth & I haven't stopped thinking about him. We had just talked 2 days prior.
I got to know Steve later in life, roughly the past 12 or so years. We became friends, good friends. He was a very active participant on this site, he was one of my "go to guys" for Utah BMX history.
Every time he dropped some knowledge, It would never cease to amaze me. He was the first ABA track operator in the State!
I was also lucky enough to be able to double dip my time with Steve as I just not saw him at the BMX races, but we would see each other, along with Mike, at many a mountain bike or cyclocross race. I took the opportunity to chat it up with him & just shoot the breeze.
Some of the pictures I have here are my favorites, him racing the "kids" in the cruiser class at Hillcrest BMX. When we had the Old School Gathering a few years ago, It was so cool seeing him catching up with a lot of people he obviously hadn't seen in a very long time, probably decades.
One of the things I'm grateful for is having his, Brooke Nicole Medina & Breanna's blessing when I approached them about renaming my 36+ Open Summer Series in Bryans memory a few months ago. This will now be in memory for both & will be permanent.
I know it might seem I'm late to post anything up but after reading his tributes, how much this man was loved, respected & honored, I don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said. The posts by Brooke & Breanna absolutely tear us up & are wonderfully written.
I hope he's already ripping some dirt up on his Littlejohn cruiser with Bryan at his side.
- The Ritter family.

You can read more tributes to Steve on his, Brookes or Breannas Face Book page.

Return to “UtahBMX”