What the new champs are saying.

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

What the new champs are saying.

Postby bnd » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:05 am

BMX News posted some quick quotes from the newly crowned champs from the Grands.
It's amazing how humble some of these riders are...........

"In Friday night’s racing, I was having hard time with the track and made changes to my bike during racing which didn’t work out–never a good idea to do, but I didn’t want to have any regret, saying “what if” after the race. I didn’t really enjoy riding that night which really showed in my performance. Not finishing where I wanted, I knew I needed a fresh start.

I feel people automatically took me off the winning list after Friday night performance. Saturday night I wanted to prove them wrong and put on a show! And everything just fell into place. I felt super good on my bike. Winning the first main event, I was so happy but winning all three mains and the title was just a dream come true!

It was also special for me to be the second Frenchman to win the title, after Christophe who I look up to a lot. He is the main reason I went off to chase this title too.

After all the problems in France lately, I really wanted to bring some happiness and joy back home."
—Joris Daudet

"The USA BMX Pro title is a long-standing award within our sport, and winning this prestigious title never gets old! This year I earned my fourth pro women’s title, and it honestly feels just as rewarding as the first. Each year poses different challenges, but if by the end of an entire year’s work you’re standing on that podium with the coveted silver cup in hand – you know you’ve done something right!

For this year’s Grands, I think the race that stands out the most was my second main during the Pro Spectacular finals. Although this wasn’t my strongest first straight, I believe it was my smartest race with good competition and overall my cleanest lap. Winning this main from the outside put me in a good position for the final main which allowed me to finish the season strong with a win for the event and overall title."
—Alise Post

"Winning the title felt good after a rough year. More than the title itself, I felt strong the entire year. I took a different approach this year as opposed to the last few years. I started coaching a few different guys and, instead of focusing on myself, my focus was on pushing my athletes to break their limits. I was able to train, myself, while coaching and I was pushing myself as hard as I pushed them. And I grew along with them.

Nothing really stood out this weekend. It seemed everything was clicking and I was riding well. It was fun to watch the racing of my teammates and the athletes I train. This year my team has taken me on as part of the family. They have made me feel so comfortable and I have enjoyed every weekend I spent with them. I appreciate all they have done for me."
—Cristian Becerine

"Winning the title for me is an honor and a big deal, considering that two out of the three years I have raced Grands I have gotten the National Girl Cruiser title.

This is special because there are only four given out for amateurs and I was one of them. One thing that I kept in my head the entire weekend that helped me keep my eye on the win was just to take it one lap at a time. There were a lot of races and even if I was getting tired I focused on one lap like it was my last."
—Olivia Armstrong

"Winning the Cruiser title was an amazing feeling, and a little emotional! Walking up to the stage, you have about thirty seconds to reflect back on the year and think about the hard work that’s gone into it, from the training and racing, the good and bad luck, the pain and injuries, and everything in between. It’s the struggle we all go through as competitors, and it takes a perfect storm to end up on the stage holding that cup!

I’ve been fortunate enough to win a few in the past, and I never take it for granted! It NEVER gets old either! Haha! It’s been a long time since I’ve been up on the stage and if I hadn’t seen Alise go up there twice on Saturday night (what a beast!), I may have needed a map to find it!

I’m grateful that Redline gives me the opportunity to keep racing, and really thankful that there are a bunch of other old dudes like me out there that just can’t get enough of this BMX stuff…it really helps the rider count!"
-Jason Carnes

"It was an amazing feeling when I realized I had won the title, because my hard work had paid off. The Grands weekend can be very tough mentally and physically, especially going into that main event. As I got into the gate, I knew that I had prepared for that one lap and I just had to leave it all out there.

My family told me they were proud of me long before the race even began which took all of the pressure off. I looked around at all of the people in the stands, took in the atmosphere, and remembered; “I’m here riding my bike. What could be better than that?"
-Sofia Foresta

"At any typical national, I can usually remember what happened all the way around the track, from the first straight to the second corner, bumping elbows with my competitors. Grands is different. You sit behind the gate getting zoned in, visualizing the race to come within the next 30 seconds. Then you stand up in the gate, and before you know it, you cross the finish. All I remember from that main event lap was seeing the red light flash right next to gate 8, my lane assignment, and I easily got my best gate of the weekend. My body did the rest. When I crossed the finish, I could not believe that I had become the National Amateur Champion and my emotions took over.

It has always been a dream of mine to walk onto that stage and receive the cup. I was thrilled to be the one to win the title for 2015. This has been my best season in BMX by far with 24 wins and the amateur title. I know that this moment will stick with me for the rest of my life, but it will take a week or two to truly absorb what I have accomplished."
—Kevin Pauls

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

Return to “UtahBMX”