Small Concern (regarding rules)

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

TwoWheelTony
Schwinn

Small Concern (regarding rules)

Postby TwoWheelTony » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:41 am

I am writing this after I had time to think about the concept of FAMILY FUN vs. USABMX RULES and such. I know my little person is really having fun and has enjoyed recent battles with others in his age group. As such, I am very proud of his efforts, period. So, I just wanted to point out that some time is spent every race detailing the rules, mainly the 30ft line/last straight rule. This weekend, during my son's race(s), he had to deal blocking down last straight (probably not intentional) by another rider both days/finals. I have video and it is quite clear that the other rider moved all the way across from other side of straight both finals. Would he have passed the rider in front? I don't know but want to say yes (video is pretty objective). I overheard a conversation about older riders concerned of this rule so that is why I am taking time to ask officials to always (if we are teaching our kids something here) enforce these rules. I have talked to my son about racing tactics in corners/straights, etc... and always ask that he is respectful. He knows what is over limit! We watched SX and MX religiously and he comments all the time about taking lines away, he even knows that Andrew Short is one of the hardest guys to get by, ask him.

Sorry to go on and on, but could some effort be made to really pay attention to this rule, especially the little guys. Maybe have a track official hit up the little parts while they are in line to make sure they understand. Then, please have someone watch for this, every race, and remind kids when it happens (not penalize or DQ at our local races) right away so they can process it.

Tony

JAlvey
GT

Re: Small Concern (regarding rules)

Postby JAlvey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Tony,

I didn't see either of his races, so I can't comment specifically. If this was at Rad Canyon, you may want to discuss with Dallas Edwards, as he has been the head official for the last few weeks and would have been the one watching (and not calling a DQ) in those specific races. A couple of general things to keep in mind though: 1.We usually need to see something very blatent for a DQ to be called, 2. Younger/newer/novice/ riders are more likely to get a warning than a DQ, especially at a local race. If a rider gets a warning, the other riders in that class aren't told of that warning. The kid you are discussing may have received a warning without you knowing it. 3. from the rulebook page 24,25:

26. When on the final straight, a rider determined by an official
to have intentionally impeded the progress of another rider
may be disqualified. (Moving over is not a foul in of itself.
Intentionally moving over and blocking another rider is the
foul.)

at the officiating seminars, they stress the word "intentionally" on that rule. If a kid gets squrirrly and moves over, it shouldn't be called. If the kid moves over, but doesn't impede anyone, it shouldn't be called.

If you feel that there is a recurrent problem in any given class, feel free to let us know what your concerns are at the track so that it can be addressed proactively.

TwoWheelTony
Schwinn

Postby TwoWheelTony » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:22 am

Justin,

I understand that there are gray areas and if the rider is not close enough. Also, I do not want little guys DQ'd at all. In the specific race(s) I was addressing it is very clear that the rider impeded (I have video), literally moving from one side to the other. Thanks for reply and I really do not want this to be a big concern.

Tony

joker75
SBC Army

Postby joker75 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 am

Tony, I agree with what you seem to be saying. It's not that you expect the younger/ newer racers to be DQ'd for something that they may not realize is against the rules, or may not consider the implications, especially at a local race.

I can tell you that a couple of years ago, my son was competing very closely with another kid in the 10 intermediate class. By that point I would think that they should have most of the obvious rules figured out. There were 2 races in a row that as my son was trying to pass the other racer, the other racer turned his head and looked toward my son before making pretty obvious changes in direction toward my son. One time was on the last straight, and my son had to grab a handful of brake to avoid being punted off of one of the last jumps on the last straight. The other time my son got pushed off of the track and ended up crashing. Luckily, there were no injuries, but I understand your frustration when kids seem to be more concerned about winning than about following the rules, and/ or the safety of other that they are racing.

Fortunately, all these incidents did was inspire my son to push himself harder and make sure that he was in front of the other racer so her didn't have the opportunity to cut him off.

I wish you well and hope your son continues to enjoy playing bikes for a long time.
Hal Gaerte
Performance Bike Parts
Disclaimer: AKA of "Snappy" has nothing to do with my ability to snap a gate. It has everything to do with the sound bones make when the break. Don't ask, it's a touchy subject.

Return to “UtahBMX”