Memories of 1987

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

Memories of 1987

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:04 pm

D showed me a post on FB from Fuzzy Hall showing him getting ready to open a box full of old stuff. I took a second to recall a moment that was huge here in the State involving him.
In March of 1987 BMX Action, at the time was THEE source of BMX news & if you raced BMX had a subscription to this mag, had an unknown local racer/dirt jumper Tim "Fuzzy" Hall on the cover, sporting a Binghams Schwinn jersey & doing a no footer nac-nac. Not only was that trick a very big deal back then but locally, having Tim on the cover made him an over night BMX superstar.

I will never forget getting my sub in the mail & seeing him on the cover. I made my way to Bicycle World & shooting the stuff with Spiro (the manager) & being super stoked about Fuzz. To say this was big news locally is like comparing it to anything anybody has ever done recently. Tim became a BMX Action test rider after this & was on the cover of that magazine alot & was featured in it it seemed every other issue.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

bnd
Information Minister

Re: Memories of 1987

Postby bnd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

On a side note. See those guys on that cover on those bikes laid out low? That was a trend called "GPV" Gravity Powered vehicles. Long story short, I decided to give it a shot & set up one of my spare bikes like this. My buddy Russ ( yeah, that big dude that visited from Minnesoto a few years ago) & I hitchhiked up to Alta & thank god I wore all my race gear. After smoking my brake pads, I took a corner about 2 miles down at high speed & couldn't make it. I ended up waking up in the middle of the road with me covered in road rash. A few people stopped & somebody gave me a ride down. I was a bloody mess & when my Mom saw me walk thru the front door, she ripped me a new A-hole for being such a dumb arse.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

LocoTone
GT

Postby LocoTone » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 am

I too, tried that setup. Rode down Big Cttonwood Canyon doin about 50. Passed cars, broke some laws. Survived to tell the tale, but only did it once. It kinda scared me.

skicruz78
GT

Postby skicruz78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

b,

Thanks for your always informative and entertaining Utah BMX history lessons. Always fun to read these posts.
Christopher Morley
Let's play bikes!

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Yeah, I have stories.
Riding in the back of a pick up truck to Phoenix & not having a dime in my pocket. Going to my 1st national in Vegas, sleeping on the hood of a car in St. George, waking up in the middle of the night to the sounds of one of my teammates making out with another of my teammates Moms(!) & having to yell at the most famous BMXer of all-time because he was in my lane on the gate.

Iv'e got stories. :shock:

b.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Here's Fuzzy 20 years later. This looks like Tanner Park but I could be wrong.

b.

Return to “UtahBMX”