What changes would you like to see w/local tracks designs?

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

bnd
Information Minister

What changes would you like to see w/local tracks designs?

Postby bnd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:37 pm

For sake of discussion because of the slow time right now, I hear RC is going to be re-done, Legacy needs to be built & I know DP wasn't changed all that much last year.

What would you like to see built or changed at any of these tracks? Let's hear any & all ideas.

I guess I would like to see the decision maker down the last straight at DP rebuilt & keeping it simple with doable dubs again, 16ft(?) but make it so if you commit, you can possibly win the race vs. the rythem section.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

JAlvey
GT

Re: What changes would you like to see w/local tracks design

Postby JAlvey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm

I would like:

1- More technical tracks like we are seeing everywhere else. They need to be kept "rollable" and smooth for the new people though.

2- to see bruce (and everyone else) come out and help build/maintain these tracks. There's only so many hours in RC's, Brazell's Mont's, and Dilley's, days

3- first jump at Rad definitely needs a change-been like that for too long. People have been talking about elevating the first straight to the first jump a bit, making the start hill lower and more typical- that would be great. It would be nice to have the optimal bike set up at Rad match what is optimal for everywhere else.

4- Roland has talked about making a leftward dog-leg in DP's second straight and making the first turn bigger and better. That would be great as right now, there is really only one line through turn one, and that sets you up for the inside for turn two. That makes it so that whoever gets the snap has inside position for the whole track and passing unlikely.

5- New dirt at Legacy would be ideal.

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:52 pm

I wish I could commit to help out more. I did that for almost 10 years at DP before Roland took over. Family has all of my time right now but seeing how i've dropped close to 4k in BMX related items over the past 6 months, you'll definatly see us at the tracks this summer when we usually disappear. If I don't have a child in hand, I'll lend help too.

I'm not following you on the DP layout with the 2nd straight thing, sounds interesting. Is Roland having a rebuild coming up?

There has been talk forever of filling in the bottom of the start hill with a big roller or something (like a rollercoaster?).

I say keep RC the expert/national level track it is but leave DP as it always has been, a wide open, intermediate level, pedal friendly track. I would hope Legacy follows suit. After seeing how many people got broke off at the indoors, I would hate seeing that type of track at the outdoors. I like competing against my fellow riders & not against the track.

b.
“Sometimes if you want to see a change for the better, you have to take things into your own hands.”

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 am

OUT AT RAD I CANT SEE ANY CHANGES I WOULD ASK FOR , THAT TRACK IS FUN AS HELL, I DO KNOW THE TRIPS WERE INTIMIDATING TO ALOT OF RIDERS AND KEPT THEM OFF THE TRACK AND I AGREE WITH ALVEY THE FIRST OBSTACLE SHOULD BE SOMETHING ELSE LIKE A RENO TYPE FIRST DOUBLE THATS GOT A VERY LAID BACK FRONT LIP SO YOU CAN LEARN TO PEDAL MANUAL IT LIKE YOU WOULD HAVE TO A RENO.

DP THE THIRD STRAIGHT, IF WE DID IT LIKE ROCKFORD WHERE ITS JUST A BIG SET OF LEVEL CHANGING DOUBLES, THAT WOULD BE SICK THOSE DOUBLES ARE TOO SHORT AND TOO CLOSE TOGETHER , AND BRING BACK THE PRO SET BUT MAKE IT TRAILS STYLE PRO SET LIKE LAST YEAR GRANDS WITH THE FACES OF THE LANDINGS SOFT ENOUGH TO CASE SO MORE PEOPLE WILL TAKE THE CHANCE TO JUMP THEM AND GET USED TO BEING IN THE AIR VS A 20 FT GAP THAT ONLY ROBBIE DEREK AND JADEN CAN CLEAR.

ALL IN ALL ALL THE TRACKS ARE FUN AND IM SUPER STOKED TO HAVE THIS MUCH AVAILIABILTY TO RACE AS MUCH AS WE DO IN THE SUMMER SO NO MATTER WHAT IS BUILT IM STOKED !
Freedom Energy/ODEN/Dirt Militia Team Manager

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:41 am

rockford rollers
Attachments
rockford_2011-405x307.jpg
like this

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Rad Canyon: i'm onboard with the ideas/changes mentioned. Add a strider track where the Opts track used to me. Maybe some dirt jumps of varying degrees to practice on.

DP is a fun track, but making it more race-able and keeping it a little friendlier to the newer/intermediate rider is my thought also.

Legacy should offer the same as DP. Seems to be a different audience... new to the community. keep it safe for the new racer but still have some challenge for the progressing riders.

Red Hills--same as Legacy and DP... but i think Rodger may be moving it? enough dirt and space to put in a couple different lines? there are some really talented kids down there. give them something fun and challenging and keep it good for the new riders.

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:33 pm

^^^ oh yeah and turn opts track into sick pump track with some trails sections !

crash
GT

Postby crash » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 pm

3- first jump at Rad definitely needs a change-been like that for too long. People have been talking about elevating the first straight to the first jump a bit, making the start hill lower and more typical- that would be great. It would be nice to have the optimal bike set up at Rad match what is optimal for everywhere else.

and the pump track idea, it would be a nice change where you can still build skills and not the same old practice night at rad.

Ron DeHeer
Huffy

Postby Ron DeHeer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Any chance of turning the opts area back into a track and designing it like a motocross track so we could have multi lap races. I would love some racing like that 5 or 10 lap races.

JAlvey
GT

Postby JAlvey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 pm

i think the OPTS track has already been converted into a parking lot. In the past, when it was a track there were never enough people to take care of it and it quickly became overgrown and un-rideable. Has anyone every done a multiple lap outdoor track? I don't know about you, but one lap at Rad outdoor is usually as much, or more than my legs can handle.

Ron DeHeer
Huffy

Postby Ron DeHeer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:18 am

I would still like to find a multi lap race if anybody knows of any. As far as lasting more than one lap you just ride the race differently just like different tracks get riden diffently plus more laps can mean more passing and trading first place around

billyschuler
GT

Postby billyschuler » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

id love to see someone pull more than one lap outdoor hahah... even one PUMP lap is exhauisting out there

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:11 pm

The tracks are all great and whatever is changed will only make them better!
It's my legs & lungs that need a complete rebuild...
Who wants to take on that redesign?
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

Jackie
GT

Postby Jackie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 pm

I like the multiple lap idea that would be the only way I would have a chance of getting back up front
Follow the fanny pack to the finish

Return to “UtahBMX”