Moms and Dads can race too - Noob Day

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 am

I propose (and volunteer) to help set up a "Moms and Dads can race too - Noob Day" day or clinic or something like that. But I don't know enough about ABA, or tracks, or clinics, or anything like that, so I'll need some help.

Am I the only one who has noticed all the parents (I mean potential racers) in the stands every week? Let's help them discover how amazing BMX is for the adults as well. After all, I think the adults end up having more fun than the kids anyway. :mrgreen:

I have a buddy who is on the fence. His son races, and he had never really considered racing himself, but I planted the seed, and now he's ready to get a bike and start racing. I imagine there are plenty more parents out there who just need an extra nudge.

The way I see it, there are a few things holding the parents back from racing:

1. they haven't even considered racing
2. they're too busy
3. they're afraid of getting injured
4. they're not competitive people
5. they have no clue how to get started, what size bike they need, etc
6. they think they won't be any good at it
7. they've never done it before
8. they've thought about it, but they just need that extra push to get started

I propose (and volunteer) to help set up a "Moms and Dads can race too - Noob Day" day or clinic or something like that. But I don't know enough about ABA, or tracks, or clinics, or anything like that, so I'll need some help. I could see this turning into a big event eventually.

The event would focus on:
- correcting common misconceptions (bmx is for kids, i'm too busy, etc)
- explaining what it takes to get started - equipment, membership, time, etc
- Bike Demos - provided by other racers, bike shops, bike companies, etc - trying out different bikes on the track to see what each person likes (and to get them hooked to how fun it is to ride the track)
- teaching basic techniques (like a mini 30-45 min clinic)
- testimonials from parents who just started racing
- testimonials from their kids who like having their parents race too
- maybe include a meet n greet
- include a drawing/raffle with some sponsors (bike shops, local sponsors, etc)

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'm new to BMX, but I've copied a similar format in my 4x4 community, and it REALLY helps get people involved. Plus it's fun!
Last edited by sixstringsteve on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sixstringsteve
GT

Re: Moms and Dads can race too - Noob Day

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:58 am

I know the ABA requires a membership to cover insurance. Is there any way to do a 3-hour temp membership for $5 to cover insurance? That way they dont have to plunk down $25 only to find out they don't like riding on the track.

I was thinking BJ could announce it at the races. A shout out to the parents "I see a lot of you parents out there. It's time to start racing yourselves! in a few weeks, we will have a training day for parents who want to start racing too. Even if you're not sure you want to race, come to the event and try it out!"

We could get the local bike shops involved to demo/ride different bikes, we could contact the ABA and see if we could get discounted annual memberships if they sign up on that one day, we could offer promotions for referring a friend/parent who has never raced before, we could have an open class for brand new riders only that day, etc. We could use the kids to help them coax their parents onto the track.

We could do some sort of incentive/referral program. Like kids could get a special trophy, or rad bucks, or a raffle ticket or t-shirt if they got their mom or dad to get an ABA membership, or if you refer a friend who signs up for a new membership, you get your next race fees waived, or something like that.

And what kid wouldn't want their mom or dad or guardian racing too? They'd be so excited to teach their parents the skills they've been mastering.

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:19 pm

It might even be fun to have the kids be the instructors of the clinic, make them feel like the experts for once. They could even hold their parents' tires in the gate :lol:

Anyway, this is all just an idea at this point. I don't know how feasible it is, but I think it could turn out to be a lot of fun for everyone involved, and we could grow our BMX community.

jnasty
GT

Postby jnasty » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Steve
look for the race for life. maybe organize a clinic that day.
DO WORK SON!

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Awesome, I didn't know that existed. That'd be a perfect thing to partner up with. It looks like our Race for Life is on 01/21/2012. Who do I contact about getting a clinic together?

What is the Race For Life?

It all started in 1981 when an avid 12 year old BMX racer from Michigan discovered he had Leukemia. Todd Kingsbury was his name, and like many BMXers, he had dreams of someday becoming a top pro in the sport. Unfortunately, this dreaded disease would keep Todd from fulfilling his dream.

When Todd`s friends and the American Bicycle Association learned of his diagnosis, it was decided that an organized effort should be made to help in Todd`s "Race for Life." The first ABA "Race for Life" events were formed that year, with over 130 tracks participating and raising funds for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society® .

Ever since, the ABA has held a series of "Race for Life" events nationwide to help in the fight to find a cure for blood-related cancers. There are awards given to top fund raisers which include t-shirts, jackets and trips to the ABA Grandnationals of BMX.

Of course, the best reward of all is the good feeling of helping others with Leukemia.

Skew
GT

Postby Skew » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Good idea Steve.
For me the really important selling points for the sport are 1) its the one of the few sports that both parent and child can compete in the same event and 2) the people at the races are for the most part the type of people I feel good about having my family around.

Maybe there are a bunch out there that just need the extra push. When you think about the guys racing in the 28-35 novice only a handful are there racing with their kids. If we had all the dads racing with their kids our class would be bigger than the huge 5 & under novice class.
Logan

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Steve, the Race for life allows anyone without an ABA membership to race for the cost of the entry fee only. No membership needed. Since the RFL is a double the cost is $20. So Its easy for people to try it out. We will start pushing the RFL at the next indoor race weekend.

As for getting more parents into the sport. There are as many reasons for the parents to sit and watch their kids, as there are kids racing. some dont want to get hurt, some dont have the funds to race too. Some dont want to have to race the regulars who kill the class now. Some are ther purely for the social side of it and dont want to get on the track.
We welcome everyone for who they are and what they want to do. The best way i have found over the years to get those on the sidelines into racing is to answer their questions, offer to help them out and gently nudge them out on the track.

all of your ideas are great, and we welcome you to try some or all of them. As for a clinic talk to Ron melton. He is the keeper of the schedule.
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

sixstringsteve
GT

Postby sixstringsteve » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 pm

great, thanks Jason. I'll see how the Race for Life goes, and then if it looks like there's a need for the clinic a few months later I'll look into it.

mackdaddy
Resident Sushi Expert

Postby mackdaddy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 pm

Last year our aver moto counts were in the mid 50's and the RFL had 68 or 69 motos, so we added 50 or so racers for the RFL! We get alot of RFLers, it just getting them to come back. LOL
Jason Melton
Overland Group
jmelton@overlandcorp.com
http://www.jasonsellsslc.com
(801)860-9357

b2
Not a Troll!

Postby b2 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Skew wrote:its the one of the few sports that both parent and child can compete in the same event

I remember saying that once upon a time...

http://youtu.be/jw2bq52KMX8

:D

skicruz78
GT

Postby skicruz78 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Great idea Steve. I would support and help.
Christopher Morley
Let's play bikes!

ogr13
COG

Postby ogr13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Some ideas from a COG...

We will have another "Adults only" BMX clinic in March, invite a friend! I'm in the process of recruiting instructors and looking to have different ones for each clinic. I think this will expose us to different styles and tips each time, allowing the "old dogs" to keep learning new tricks. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Go out of your way to talk to parents that aren't racing, tell 'em how much fun you're having!

Continue to do things the way all of you do, pedal your guts out on the track and laugh about it afterwards. People see how much fun you're all having and everybody wants to have fun!
Let's go play bikes in the dirt!
Dave Cote
Crazy Old Guy

Return to “UtahBMX”