I need help!

Anything and everything about the Utah BMX scene.

Moderators: JAlvey, bnd

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

I need help!

Postby greg » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:54 am

I was wondering if anybody has noticed an obvious problem with my first straight??

Specifically 2nd-5th pedals.

I mean besides the very obvious thing with needing to get in shape (which i am working on). It seems like I am getting a decent start (as far as I can tell), but by the first obstacle I am behind 10 feet. I am doing sprints on a regular basis to try to help improve my speed, but it just seems like I am doing something terribly wrong to get left behind so quickly.

Or is it just that you guys are just that good, and i am comparing myself to riders out of my league? :wink:

Could it be my gearing? I'm running a 43-18 on my cruiser, which is a 57.33 gear.

So, anybody have any secrets they would like to share?
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

J Gallo
Web Guy

Postby J Gallo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:07 pm

I can't say that I see anything wrong, but I have the same problem. Take for example a race a couple weeks ago. I get a decent gate, next to me is Rick, who HITS the gate. I pedal like there is no tomorrow down the first straight, and by the time I'm coming up the face of the big double, Rick rushes by, jumps the double, and goes on for the win.

It's probably not all you, cause you do have to race some fast guys. Hopefully we'll see you soon in 20" class, then it might give you a better indication of how good your 1st straight is.
Gallo
"The ability to walk fully upright is overrated. Along with tying your own shoes."

bnd
Information Minister

Postby bnd » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:43 pm

What your referring to is what I call "the next level", no crap. The next level is bringing those 2-5 pedals around fast & having the "pop" to them so your really accelerating with those pedal strokes. I got to be where I'm at after working on that section of my racing back when I was 31. I always had a good snap but my power & follow through was average. Sprints alone won't fix or improve it a whole lot, getting in shape & working out is what did it for me (plus 20g of creatine a day!). 2 perfect examples of guys getting this done is Mike Kelly & Mark Miller. I noticed over about a month or so time span last year that they both not only got good snaps but backed it up with a powerful follow through, something both were missing priviously.
Greg, your snap is good, your track speed is good & your cornering is great, you've just got to commit yourself to a good 3-month training program with realistic goals. How about setting one for the start of the indoor season, I think it starts in October this year. Pick an amount of weight you would like to lose but also pick a realistic workout program that you would most likely stick to and not burnout on after 2 weeks. I bet if you implimented a simple 4 day a week, 1 hr. a day plan you'd be able to stick with it. By October you'll be a whole new racer, but it takes dedication.
If you want some more advice about working out or whatever, I'm sure either Jason Melton or I would find the time to help you out.
Right now I'm training for the Snowbird Hillclimb in late August & let me tell you, it sucks. I HAVE to ride my road bike every other day whether I like it or not to meet my goal, for at least an hour in hilly terrain. It's not fun sometimes like right now but you just have to be dedicated.

I hope this helps.
b.

JasonStout
GT

and...

Postby JasonStout » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:09 am

i just moved up to a 56.0 gear ratio from 54 and change.

Gearing is individual and all, but do you need higher than a 56 at Rad?

Try the 42-18 and see how your 2nd-5th comes out....

my $00.02

JS

oh- and shake that bike- Rock and roll. I've noticed you have little horizontal motion going on out of the gate...

Okay, i'm up to a nickel now....

peace!

greg
2004 36-40 Cruiser State Champ

Postby greg » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:27 am

Thanks guys.

b,
I do have a training program I am working on now. It's pretty basic, but it does incorporate strength training and cardio. Just starting out slow and building a little at a time. It has made an impact on my weight and my racing (I think), so I am sticking to it. Pretty much am out of the soda thing and drink mostly water and tea...once in awhile a lemonaide or something. Had to give up beer and such quite some time ago, so I'm just a choir boy now. lol

JS,
I've been thinking that my gears are not quite right, that's why I mentioned it. I think you are right in saying to move down a tooth and give it a try. I think i'll through on a 42 next race and see if anything improves. I know it wont be a big impact with such a slight change, but it should give me an indication whether I am going in the correct direction.

I really already know what needs to be done, i guess. just thought I'd throw it out there to see what the outside sees. I think a big holdup in progressing is lack of track time. I need to find a way to free up monday night so that I can get some meaningful practice time to work on things. I can't really get in too many good laps on a race night, because I would have nothing left come race time.

Anyway, thanks for the help and comments.......and don't hold back if you see something that is totally screwed....I won't be offended. Well, unless you tell me I have no business on the track....I might not like that too much.

see ya at the races
Greg "how long does it take you to crash" prawitt

Return to “UtahBMX”